The Nielsen Company

Updated Nov 19, 2014

74 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in March 2011.

The Nielsen Company has an extremely competitive and demanding interview process. In my experience it had four components:
1) Preliminary Phone Screen
2) Math Skills/ Business Acumen Written Exam
3) 3 1:1 Interviews
4) 3 more 1:1 Interviews

Preliminary Phone Screen - in this segment, I was introduced to my recruiter. She was extremely nice and helpful throughout the process. The screen consisted of general questions regarding my education, my background, some brief leadership questions, and my knowledge of the company. It was relatively easy.

Written Exam - This exam was EXTREMELY hard. I took it on site, was given a calculator and scrap paper and roughly 2 hours. The questions are similar to GMAT questions but each question consists of at least 3 or 4 parts. They are difficult but if you don't panic and try to reason through the questions you can solve them. Make sure you are strong with WEIGHTED AVERAGES questions, as well as basic algebra, and MGMT ACCOUNTING questions involving Break Even Points, Fixed Costs and Variable Costs etc. But especially weighted averages. The second part of the exam are written case study questions. You need a fundamental understanding of how to approach case studies to excel here. I strongly recommend Cosentino's Case In Point book to acquire the skills necessary for case studies.

1:1 Interviews - The interviews were all extremely pleasant, and I could tell that I would enjoy working with my colleagues. The questions were behavioral ("leadership", "time you failed", "time you disagreed with a colleague," etc.). I also had a case study on each interview so roughly 6 case studies. They were mainly New Product Development cases, Industry Analysis Cases, Growth Strategy Cases, some Market sizing and some simple Random Questions ("How many quarters will it take to get to the top of the empire state building?") The case studies were interesting and fun to discuss.

After my second round of interviews I received a phone call and a verbal offer. I was ecstatic! This is a great company to work for!!!!!

Interview Questions
  • Describe a time that you failed, and what did you learn from it?   View Answer
  • Your company wants to increase the price of the product, but wants to maintain market share. What would you recommend?   View Answer
the offer was fair considering my education and my background and I accepted immediately. Was roughly middle of the range for my position.

Other Interview Reviews for The Nielsen Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Battle Creek, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Battle Creek, MI

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in August 2011.

Regular phone interview. Than a test they have you take on site, hour and a half mostly all math and statistic questions in the form of word problems. Than if you did well enough on the test you will get called in for an in person interview. Standard behavioral questions. Also they ask a lot of questions on what you know about Nielsen and specifically the are of the business your applying. In my case it was with Kellogg and the work they were doing with them.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about estimating all of the windows in the city of New York.   View Answer

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in January 2012.

I think the process contains a phone screening, then an assessment test, I
    m getting contacted for a 2nd phone interview, which is not what I had expected ....I had expected a on site interview.

Analyst Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in December 2011.

The typical telephone screen was followed up by an assessment test in person. The aptitude test was pretty much as it has been described here -- personally, I found it VERY challenging, in particular in the time frame that was given. In addition to knowing percentage questions, make sure to review a marketing textbook and work through some written test involving break even analyses, etc. (as others have pointed out).

Interview Questions
    • How would you advise a client that wants to introduce a new product into a market?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Phone interview was very basic; I was asked to go over my resume and other questions like why Nielson/what about the position interested me. Then I was scheduled to take the skills test which was 90 minutes (10 math problems, 2 written answer questions).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in May 2012.

In progress. Report later

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at The Nielsen Company.

The interview process consisted of 3 stages: a phone interview, in-office quantitative assessment, and a day of multiple in-person interviews. The phone interview was just a brief interview with the purpose of getting a feel for the candidate. The assessment was the same one described by others here, it consisted of a bunch of basic statistics questions and two case studies at the end. It was reasonable and I completed every question while using up my whole time allotment. The interview day consisted of 5 consecutive 45-minute interviews with team members and leaders. There were some tough questions and it was a really long process, but the team was friendly and informative.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a bunch of questions related to price elasticity of demand   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in February 2012.

30-minute phone interview with recruiter followed by 2-hour assessment taken in office.

Interview Questions
    • Company launching new product line. Write a one-page recommendation on whether launch should move forward based on available information.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in December 2009.

I was contacted via email by a recruiter who a couple of weeks later called me for a phone screen that lasted for about 25 minutes. He then had someone else schedule the interview 1:1. The interview lasted for five hours and I interviewed with more than 5 people. The people who interviewed seemed to be the ones who were available at that moment- I didn't get to speak with anyone I would work with. The coordination for the 1:1 took over 2 weeks. I was asked the same questions over and over and by the end it seemed I had repeated the same answer about 10 times. I was confident in each answer I provided and I am confident I did a great skills test. I know for certain I want to focus in online analytics and that is what I want to pursue. I showed them that but it had been 3 weeks since my interview and I hadn't heard from them. I would have expected Nielsen to send me an email to update me on the interview process or to tell me what is going on. Since the interview process took so long I thought they considered me a potential hire.

The people who interviewed me were mostly entry-level and I didn't think they asked questions that allowed me to talk about what was important for the job -I had to bring that up myself. Again, they seemed they had not prepared any questions for me but they all asked me almost the same.

Last, even thought I really want to work for them I am still not sure if what they are looking for in an entry-level position is experience, college background or potential.

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in February 2011.

I found the posting online and after applying, I was notified that Nielsen wanted to conduct a phone interview the following Monday. The phone interview was very short, really only 2-3 'interview-type' questions and then they asked my availability to take a skills test, which I scheduled for that Friday.

The skills test had short word problems, and essay, and I had to write a letter to the President of a fictional company with my recommendation for a soap product. The test was very similar to tests I've taken in my MBA program; a fair amount of math and pretty challenging, but not too difficult. After the test, I had a short interview with the two Nielsen staff members - this client company had a total of 3 Nielsen Analysts on-site. This was somewhat unexpected and somewhat informal. However, it went well and I left to await email notification about my skills test.

After a week or three, I received an email stating that I passed the skills test and that I was to schedule a half-day interview with four managers from the client company. I met for about an hour with each person where they asked some in-house behavioral, or STAR interview questions.

I left very confident in my abilities and my interviews, but after more than a month, I received a generic rejection email. The position is still posted to this day. I am dissappointed in myself for not getting the job, but I it was a great interview process experience.

The Nielsen Analyst is physically placed within large companies to process and report on the client's data. Given that relationship, I left the interview with a feeling that there is a level of frustration between this client company and Nielsen, which I can only assume that some frustration is somewhat common in other organizations in which a Nielsen Analyst is placed.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which you had to give someone difficult or controversial information? Information that they did not want to hear?   View Answer