The Nielsen Company Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2014
Updated Oct 20, 2014

Professional Services, Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Nielsen Company.

Recruited through university, attended info sessions, passed online analytic test, had a first round on campus that consisted of 1 case and 1 behavioral. Definitely helped that I knew people already working there in order to get the first round. I recommend demonstrating your interest in and knowledge about Nielsen during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • confusing question about pepsi offering product at new retailer   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Nielsen Company.

First interview with Hr, about 20 minutes
    Test/assessment, about 45 minutes
    Second interview with a senior manager, about 1 hour
    Third interview on site with 3 people, each 45 minutes, back to back

Operations Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in October 2014.

I was interviewed today by a Nielsen recruiter.Usually, there are two interviewers per session, however, they were running behind and decided to split up to quicken the process.
    Most of the questions were functional questions; to figure out how you resolved situations, made changes (where required), initiated and led others, and added value to an organization.

*There were about 7-8 questions, I believe (I lost count after a while). After answering the "tell me about yourself question", the interviewer jumped right into the fun part.
    *Each question had about 2-4 parts to it. Basically, "tell me about a situation when......how did you remedy it....what changes did you make...and what were the results?"

*Remember to practice with any question that deals with working with people and conflict and resolutions. Basically, how you operate.

Still waiting for a response from them to see if I make it to the second round. Will update soon!

Interview Questions
    • 1) Tell me about a time you resolved a conflict situation. How did you garner support? What was the result of your interference (in the situation)?...or something along those lines.

2) Talk about a situation where you realised that a decision you previously made was not optimal. How did you go about remedying that decision? And what were your final results?

3) Explain a time when you made a change to a system? Mention the step-by-step processes you took to ensure you achieved your intended result. What was the actual and final result?

These are what I can remember at the moment.
        Answer Question

Professional Services, Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in October 2014.

This was through on-campus recruiting -- I talked with them at my university's Career Fair, attended several information sessions, and tried to understand the different positions available and the different verticals within Professional Services.

The interview itself was relatively straightforward. I interviewed for full-time on campus, so I did two 45-minute interviews (essentially first and second round interviews in one go). In each, we spent some time discussing my resume. Then, I was asked behavioral questions (mostly revolving around teamwork, giving presentation, using data to tell a story). There were a couple of marketing case questions, where I was given a company and a situation they were in and asked what types of questions I would ask and what type of data I would recommend the company look for. They also threw in a couple of brainteasers (you have one five ounce cup and one three ounce cup and an unlimited amount of water. How do you get one of the cups to have one ounce of water?).

Interview Questions
    • 1) When were you in a situation where you were asked to do something you were uncomfortable with and how did you respond?

2) How many flights leave from the Atlanta International Airport every week? (and other similar brain teasers)

3) Mondelez has released a grape Oreo and they see that sales aren't that high (really? Ya think?). How would you go about increasing demand for this product?

4) Company X is a large, well-known company in a niche market selling granola bars. Company Y has just penetrated the market with a similar product at a lower price. Company X tries to release granola bars in smaller packages with a lower price and increased advertising, but sales do not increase. What types of questions would you ask and what type of data would you recommend the company look into?
        View Answer

Wasn't the type of company I was looking for.

Professional Services, Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at The Nielsen Company.

Applied through OCR. First round was with two interviewers, and the questions were mostly behavioral. However, there was a case and a brain teaser. The case was simple. Walk them through a scenario when a firm wants to release a new product. Brain teaser was how to measure one cup when you have two glasses that measure 5 cups and 3 cups.

Summer Interview

Phone interview, recommended by a professor, asked a lot of questions based on CV and also some research experience I had before. After one round interview, they offered me the internship.

no negotiation

Intern Interview

Attended an initial Info Session, applied online through my University application website, attended a Pre-Night, then had a 45 minute Behavioral Interview. If you were going for a full-time position you had to do another interview in the Chicago office in a week.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were in a consultative role...   Answer Question

Professional Services Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in September 2014.

Applied on campus, one 45 minute interview and you will know results within two weeks, technical and behavioral style, with two recent grads, info session beforehand, online assessment, do a walk-through of interview then ask about times when you used quantitative data to solve a problem and two or three case style questions, ask why you are a good fit for their company

Membership Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Nielsen Company.

3 interviews and then sent for 3 weeks training in FL. First over the phone with a placement person, the second was another phone interview and set up in person appointment. Then after the interview, and training period is over there is supposed to be another ride along with a trainer for a week or two, but trainers seemed distracted by personal business.

No negotiation on salary.

Analyst Interview

interviewed at The Nielsen Company in September 2014.

standard 30 minute phone interview and then was asked to take an assessment. Took assessment and sent a follow up email a week later and never heard from them. I didn't like that there was no correspondence after the assessment. Whether i was moving on to next step or not, i would have liked to know. Bad business practice. I can only imagine what it would be like working there if this is how Nielsen does things.

Interview Questions
    • question about why i would explain a drop in yogurt sales   Answer Question