The Nielsen Company Interview Questions

Updated Oct 27, 2014
Updated Oct 27, 2014

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at The Nielsen Company.

The process took a while. After my initial application, I was contacted by a recruiter in HR a day later to set up a phone interview for later that week. I gave her times I was available, but never heard back from her. She then called me on a Thursday night and asked if I was free to talk then. I wasn't and I asked her if we could do it the next day. I then had a 10 minute phone "interview" (if you can even call it that) with the HR person. At the end of that, she told me that I would have to complete an assessment test.

The assessment test took about an hour and consisted of many behavioral questions and 10 logic/math questions. The behavioral questions are meant to trick you into contradicting yourself if you aren't being honest. The logic questions weren't too hard. The one question I remember is there are 8 seats at a round table and they give you a bunch of different parameters (John won't sit next to Fred or in the bottom seat). It then asks you where everyone is sitting. After completion of the assessment test, I emailed the HR person and she set up a 1 on 1 interview with the Hiring manager.

Setting up the time for this interview was difficult. The HR person was non responsive and incompetent. I specifically said I was available in the afternoon and she set up a 9 am interview for me.

The interview was fairly straight forward. She asked me about a time when I was analytical. After that interview, I was set up to meet with an associate client director. I had a phone interview with that person a week later. Again, that was a fairly straight forward interview.

After that interview, I didn't hear from anyone for a month. Finally they got back to me, after a couple of emails asking to follow up, and asked to schedule a phone call with the hiring manager I met in person. The phone call lasted less than a minute and I was told they were offering the position to someone else... with more experience.

Overall everyone was nice and the interviews weren't too bad. The part that was bad was the communication... or lack there of. The only reason I am giving this a negative review is because They left me hanging for too long.

Interview Questions
    • Who would you market Coke, Diet Coke, and Coke Zero to?   Answer Question

Professional Services, Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Nielsen Company.

Recruited through university, attended info sessions, passed online analytic test, had a first round on campus that consisted of 1 case and 1 behavioral. Definitely helped that I knew people already working there in order to get the first round. I recommend demonstrating your interest in and knowledge about Nielsen during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • confusing question about pepsi offering product at new retailer   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Nielsen Company.

First interview with Hr, about 20 minutes
    Test/assessment, about 45 minutes
    Second interview with a senior manager, about 1 hour
    Third interview on site with 3 people, each 45 minutes, back to back

Operations Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in October 2014.

I was interviewed today by a Nielsen recruiter.Usually, there are two interviewers per session, however, they were running behind and decided to split up to quicken the process.
    Most of the questions were functional questions; to figure out how you resolved situations, made changes (where required), initiated and led others, and added value to an organization.

*There were about 7-8 questions, I believe (I lost count after a while). After answering the "tell me about yourself question", the interviewer jumped right into the fun part.
    *Each question had about 2-4 parts to it. Basically, "tell me about a situation when......how did you remedy it....what changes did you make...and what were the results?"

*Remember to practice with any question that deals with working with people and conflict and resolutions. Basically, how you operate.

Still waiting for a response from them to see if I make it to the second round. Will update soon!

Interview Questions
    • 1) Tell me about a time you resolved a conflict situation. How did you garner support? What was the result of your interference (in the situation)?...or something along those lines.

2) Talk about a situation where you realised that a decision you previously made was not optimal. How did you go about remedying that decision? And what were your final results?

3) Explain a time when you made a change to a system? Mention the step-by-step processes you took to ensure you achieved your intended result. What was the actual and final result?

These are what I can remember at the moment.
        Answer Question

Professional Services, Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in October 2014.

This was through on-campus recruiting -- I talked with them at my university's Career Fair, attended several information sessions, and tried to understand the different positions available and the different verticals within Professional Services.

The interview itself was relatively straightforward. I interviewed for full-time on campus, so I did two 45-minute interviews (essentially first and second round interviews in one go). In each, we spent some time discussing my resume. Then, I was asked behavioral questions (mostly revolving around teamwork, giving presentation, using data to tell a story). There were a couple of marketing case questions, where I was given a company and a situation they were in and asked what types of questions I would ask and what type of data I would recommend the company look for. They also threw in a couple of brainteasers (you have one five ounce cup and one three ounce cup and an unlimited amount of water. How do you get one of the cups to have one ounce of water?).

Interview Questions
    • 1) When were you in a situation where you were asked to do something you were uncomfortable with and how did you respond?

2) How many flights leave from the Atlanta International Airport every week? (and other similar brain teasers)

3) Mondelez has released a grape Oreo and they see that sales aren't that high (really? Ya think?). How would you go about increasing demand for this product?

4) Company X is a large, well-known company in a niche market selling granola bars. Company Y has just penetrated the market with a similar product at a lower price. Company X tries to release granola bars in smaller packages with a lower price and increased advertising, but sales do not increase. What types of questions would you ask and what type of data would you recommend the company look into?
        View Answer

Wasn't the type of company I was looking for.

Professional Services, Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at The Nielsen Company in October 2014.

I met them at career fair and received and invitation to an on-campus interview. Before going to the interview I had to take an assessment online. This was not very hard, but it asked questions that made you think and you only had 3 minutes to answer each question. The on-campus interview consisted of two 45 minute interviews. They were mostly behavioral questions, but some were problem solving.

Interview Questions
    • What is the change in price per year formula?   Answer Question
    • If you have a 3oz cup and a 5 oz cup and an unlimited supply of water, how do you measure exactly 4 oz without using anything else.   Answer Question

Nielsen Field Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evansville, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evansville, IN

I applied through other source – interviewed at The Nielsen Company in October 2014.

I applied to Nielsen's outside sales position through Craigslist. 2 days after submitting my resume someone from Nielsen emailed me to setup a phone interview the following Monday. The phone interview lasted about 10 minutes and just went over the details of the job which lead to a set date for an in person interview at a local hotel 2 days prior. My in person interview lasted about 30 minutes. 15 minutes going back over the details an expectations of the job. I have a very strong sales background including entry level, supervision, up to account management. So I was never concerned with the interview but more eager to learn about the benefits "company car, company card for gas/maintenance , iPhone, laptop" also the $31,200 annually salary with opportunity for paid OT, and quarterly bonuses based on performance. The average quarterly bonuses pay between 4-6k a quarter some make up to 15-20k. So splitting the average of 4-6 into 5k a quarter. That's 20k a year plus $31,200 salary= $51k + overtime pay, company car, gas/maintenance, in addition to a company iPhone, laptop. Another 5 minutes of basic questions to make sure I was a good fit and insuring that traveling if needed wouldn't be a problem along with working long hours. "Evenings, weekends if needed". Then another 10 minutes just chatting and going over the next steps to expect if selected. I interviewed in person on October 10th, I was advised if hired id go to a 3-4 week training in Tampa Florida if selected they would begin mid December/early January. 2 days after my interview my local manager that did my in person interview contacted and advised me he thought I'd do great and that he didn't want me to wait until December if possible he would move me into the next training class available if they could find an open spot. He advised if possible I'd leave November 3rd for a 3-4 week training in Tampa if I passed my background. The next day I received an email from hr to do my background, asked for drivers license number and SS. 2 days after that my manager contacted me officially offering me the job and once again. Going offer salary, benefits offer. He advised I'd be sent paperwork to MANUALLY fill out, print bad bring to Florida with me to training. I applied October 10, I fly to Tampa November 3rd which is a week from today. For anyone coming or thinking of coming on board I hope this. Review helps. And if u already work for Nielsen what kind of company car do we get : ). Thanks alan.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really difficult, just be yourself.   View Answer
    Explained a $31,200 set salary paid bi weekly with opportunity for overtime paid any hours over 40 for the week. Also quarterly bonuses available by meeting performance goals. Company car, gas card, cell phone, laptop. Was pretty firm offer that was take or leave.

Professional Services, Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at The Nielsen Company.

Applied through OCR. First round was with two interviewers, and the questions were mostly behavioral. However, there was a case and a brain teaser. The case was simple. Walk them through a scenario when a firm wants to release a new product. Brain teaser was how to measure one cup when you have two glasses that measure 5 cups and 3 cups.

Summer Interview

Phone interview, recommended by a professor, asked a lot of questions based on CV and also some research experience I had before. After one round interview, they offered me the internship.

no negotiation

Intern Interview

Attended an initial Info Session, applied online through my University application website, attended a Pre-Night, then had a 45 minute Behavioral Interview. If you were going for a full-time position you had to do another interview in the Chicago office in a week.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were in a consultative role...   Answer Question