The Nielsen Company Interview Questions

Updated Sep 25, 2014
Updated Sep 25, 2014

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at The Nielsen Company.

I'm a student so I got the interview through my school's career showcase
    1 behavioral Interview around 30-40 minutes
    The behavioral interview consisted of
    Technical round just going through what you know about programming
    Job fit
    Then typical behavioral questions.
    Why do you think you will be a good fit for Nielsen
    Explain a time when you were a leader
    Explain a time when you had an problem and show how you worked through that problem

Biggest tip is to have solid communication skills. Make sure not to talk excessively about stuff and try to be relaxed but efficient

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time you had to solve a problem with technology   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person - interviewed at The Nielsen Company.

Two rounds of interviews, with a written assessment

Data Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Nielsen Company.

Started with a test that was administered at the university: basic math and reasoning skills. There was no complicated math, just fractions, percentages, etc.

There was a first round interview on campus a couple days later. Again, basic behavioral questions. Several people from the office took all the candidates out to diner that night. I have a degree in mathematics, and one of the people from the office kept asking me random math-related questions the whole night. I didn't know many of them, but no one seemed to care.

Two weeks later there was an afternoon of round robin interviews. Basic behavioral stuff again. Just make sure you have an answer to "why us? why not company X?"

Got an offer a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Other than random math questions, there was one question about price elasticity that popped up during an interview. Just needed to know what price elasticity is.   Answer Question

Grad school

Professional Services Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in February 2014.

Applied through my school. Two interviews, one on campus, one offsite (if you make it through the second round). They give you and interview buddy beforehand to discuss any questions you might have going into it. They also give you a mathematical/logical aptitude test before you get your interview. The first one was a two-on-one with a recent alum and a manager. Both were incredibly friendly throughout. Most of the questions were behavioral, but there were 3 microcases. 1. What should P&G consider if they want to release a "green" laundry detergent, and should they do it? 2. Successful v. unsuccessful brands. 3. An estimation question.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was the estimation question: Chicago has two main airports, calculate how many people fly out of Chicago on a given day. Tricky only because I thought I remembered my interview buddy tell explicitly tell me there wouldn't be one; so it caught me off guard.   Answer Question

Development Associate Interview

3 Interviews until you get through the door

Professional Services Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Evanston, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in February 2014.

Was interviewed by two Nielsen employees. The interview consisted of resume, behavioral, and analytical/marketing questions. It wasn't very conversational, as they were simply reading off a list. I wasn't expecting the analytical and marketing questions to take up about half of the interview, as others who applied only had behavioral questions. Prior to the interview, I met one of my interviewers at pre-night, and when I asked him about tips, he suggested to vibe well with the interviewer and find a common interest and hobby. He said that during his interview, he talked about football for like 15 minutes. Was not impressed.

Interview Questions
    • How many people fly out of the Chicago O'hare airport on a Monday?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in February 2014.

The first round is just rundown the resume. The second round is interviewed by a hiring manager basically introducing her field of specification and asked for a my availability of onsite interview. In the last moment, she asked me why did I apply for Nielsen and some behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • When the hiring manager called me, she just waited for me to say anything. This is out of my expectation. I knew I have to briefly introduce myself at that time but I was stuck though.   Answer Question

Professional Services Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in February 2014.

I applied through campus e-recruiting. I simply uploaded my resume and was contacted within a week and a half that I'd been selected for an interview. The interview consisted of a lot of "Tell me about a time when..." type questions. It's highly suggested that you think about your experiences thoroughly and how you triumphed before the interview. All communication was through email, which is a bit impersonal, but understandable due to the high number of applicants.

Interview Questions
    • What would you say Tide should consider when determining whether or not it should produce an entirely "green" laundry detergent?   Answer Question

Emerging Leaders Program: Measurement Sciences Track (ELP: MSci) Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at The Nielsen Company.

After first meeting the company at our school career fair, there was a two part interview. The first interview focused on my past leadership experience with a couple of questions on my statistical background and knowledge. It took about 45 min and did not have anything too difficult or unexpected. About five weeks later was the final round interview consisted of three parts, an hour long individual case interview, a 2 hour group case interview with writing sample, and an hour long behavioral interview. Offers were extended within a week of final round interviews.

Interview Questions
    • The behavioral interview was more technical than expected, asking questions like "what are the assumptions of a linear regression model?" Nothing too difficult if you know your stuff, but its a good idea to review the basics.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

The interviewers are always manager level or higher. They ask a mix of behavioral questions and simple case questions (market sizing, marketing strategy, etc.). There are 3 rounds of interviews. First is a test, second is one interview and third is 3 interviews in a row. The interviewers really put you at ease and just want to get to know you and see how well you will fit with the company.

Interview Questions
    Recruiter says they do not negotiate salary