The Nielsen Company

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Schaumburg, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in March 2012.

Interview Details – All applicants required to take about a 3 hour test. Seems a bit ridiculous to require this, but guess they were hiring too many people that didn't know basic math. 10 basic math questions, 2 case studies. Relatively easy if you know conditional probabilities and remember high school math.

Interview Question – Basic Math skills test - just make sure you reach each question carefully so you don't incorrectly answer due to not reading the question fully.   Answer Question

Manager

The process took 5 months - interviewed at The Nielsen Company.

Interview Details – Process: 6 rounds of interview (and serveral follow-ups) over 5 months. Phone or on-site interviews wtih more than 6 senior management people based out of multi-locations. Behavior questions, past experience discussion, academic background check were conducted, in additon to a full office tour at regional HQ. Eventually did not reach an agreement at offer negotiation round. Very unengaging or unprofessional process.

Pro: Have met a lot of executives at different levels and got more prodound understanding about what was going on with the company, biz division, and the position.

Cons: The hiring needs and JD were changing over and over again, which was really confuing and always set me a wrong expectation to the next rounds of interview. First I was asked if I would be interested in a job at location A (LA), but 2 weeks after I was asked to consider location B (LB). After interview regarding LB job, I was informed that the job was taken by a internal candidate and again was sent to a interview of location C (LC). Unfortunately, LC job was also taken by another candiate (before the interview I was told this round would be all but a "light talk"). After another 2 months, LA came back again but the job title was degraded with no reasonable explaination. At final round, I was told that "the job offer is no more than a matter of time", but after that no one contacted me anymore. No respect to a candidate's dignity and time at all.

Interview Question – How can I be sure that staffs of your current employer is better than those of mine? (what an insult and joke...)   Answer Question

Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in June 2010.

Interview Details – Had a written test which covered topics like, English, Logical reasoning, Proposal writing and Maths.
After clearing the written test, two managers interviewed me at the same time.
Then had an interview with the director for the SBU.
Final interview was with the HR

Interview Question – Need to prepare very well for the logical reasoning and mathematics problems.
Interview with the director, had me answeing questions on research methods, sampling, data sourcing, designs and general knowledge
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Dint see a growth opportunity

Calcutta (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in December 2009.

Interview Details – They were called on campus

Interview Question – a case study and few statistical concepts   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiations

Manager

I applied online and interviewed at The Nielsen Company.

Interview Details – The recruiter contacted me for this position. She had a 10-min phone conversation with me, and clearly did not seem to know anything about the position. She was not qualified to interview anyone at a Manager's position. She asked a couple of book-ish questions, and gave some vague (scripted) answers when asked about the team and the position. Then I was asked to go into their office for a 2-hr skill test (lame!!!). After all this, they never got back to me. The recruiter did not have the courtesy of responding to a follow-up email. If you take half a day from the candidate, i think you at least owe them a yes or no. Apart from lack of qualification, the recruiter lacked courtesy. Just plain and simply RUDE....

Interview Question – Lame questions asked - just for the heck of it.   Answer Question

Vadodara (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in January 2008.

Interview Details – Received a phone call from a placement agency who asked for CV, current and expected salary and job profile. This was followed by couple of rounds of interviews and they offered a role

Interview Question – Why do you want to switch?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Location issue

Worked for The Nielsen Company? Contribute to the Community!