The Nielsen Company

Updated Nov 28, 2014

3.2

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Market Analyst Interview

First I was called for an analytical test, which was composed of a numerical section and then a written section. The numerical section involved fundamental arithmetic and statistical problems and probability. There were 2 case studies in the written section. There was some data given and I was asked to analyze that and give a recommendation.

Interview Questions
  • Question on Conditional probability. You need to know the formulas to answer the question!   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for The Nielsen Company

Market Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at The Nielsen Company.

I am not sure if Nielsen’s US office follows the same hiring process as Canada but, in any case, this should help.

For the application, Nielsen usually asks for your resume and a cover letter (motivation – why Nielsen). After submitting your application, if you demonstrate to have their requirements, you are expected to get a phone call or e-mail from the HR to schedule a phone interview. That’s the firm’s initial drilling.

Your phone interview will be fairly short and will be for Nielsen to determine if you are interested and just have a quick chat. HR spoke about 5 minutes about the opportunity and then they asked me to tell them a little bit about myself, my background, why I want to join Nielsen and my future career goals. The interview took just 20 minutes and after that they sent me an analytical assignment to complete. You will have 1 day to submit them the test. The HR will contact you back few days later if you did well in the test.

The second interview should take 1 hour and be conducted in person by the head of HR. She will be the person to impress because she determines “fit” for the company. I come from a background of finance so I know that in finance, interviews are competitive and stressful. At Nielsen it is a lot more relaxed and they are really looking for somebody who can fit in the company. So relax, people from Nielsen are nice!

Interview Questions
    • My interview started with she asking me questions from my resume. She asked me how my job related to the Market Analyst position and then she asked me some behavioural questions:

• What a good team was for me and tell an example of a time I worked with a team and achieved good results
      • In my view, how my relationship with the manager should be and how I managed this relationship in the past
      • Why I want to work for Nielsen and what are my future goals
      • What are my three major strengths
      • Where do l think I need to improve

After that she asked me:
      • about my salary range and if the proposed salary and benefits was OK for me
      • if I am legally able to work in Canada, and
      • when I am available to start

They then finally concluded the interview by reviewing the position, the company, the future perspectives and trainings with me.

If you succeed, Nielsen will contact you and you will get a case to present in your final interview along with two managers (people that will work with you – your manager and the account director). So, this third interview will also be conducted in person with the person who would make the final decision about hiring.

For the case, you will likely be given some sales data for Company A and will have to prepare a short powerpoint presentation incorporating this data. This will test three things:
      1. Your ability to analyze the data
      2. You ability to provide recommendations based on the analysis
      3. You presentation style / ability to remain calm and professional

View Answers (2)

Market Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in June 2011.

Normal HR interview. Then goes with Aptittude test contains basic math/stat. Case studies. time is 1 hr 30 mins. The company's professionalism is being visible through out interview process. They know to whom they should offer the Job.

Interview Questions
    • % analysis, Profit-Loss analysis, Return on Investments, probability total 10 questions.   Answer Question

Market Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in September 2010.

The phone interview was not that difficult. Hardest questions was to discuss how you would advise a client who wanted to take a product to market. The interview process was a phone interview, in wich I got a call after applying online then doing an assessment, which was ten math questions, and case studies.

Interview Questions
    • How would you advise a client who is considering to bring a product to market?   Answer Question

Market Analyst Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in February 2010.

Nielsen asked me to complete a 90 minute long, easy test.

My interview was 1-on-1 and was mostly behavioral questions.

The interviewee seemed exceptionally anxious to get out of the building, which made me uncomfortable. She had been interviewing all day and did not seem interested in me (or anyone else who interviewed that day) at all.

She also asked me one ridiculous question..."have you ever had to make a decision without knowing anything"