The Nielsen Company

Average Difficulty
19 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through my school. Two interviews, one on campus, one offsite (if you make it through the second round). They give you and interview buddy beforehand to discuss any questions you might have going into it. They also give you a mathematical/logical aptitude test before you get your interview. The first one was a two-on-one with a recent alum and a manager. Both were incredibly friendly throughout. Most of the questions were behavioral, but there were 3 microcases. 1. What should P&G consider if they want to release a "green" laundry detergent, and should they do it? 2. Successful v. unsuccessful brands. 3. An estimation question.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question was the estimation question: Chicago has two main airports, calculate how many people fly out of Chicago on a given day. Tricky only because I thought I remembered my interview buddy tell explicitly tell me there wouldn't be one; so it caught me off guard.   Answer Question

Evanston, IL

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in February 2014.

Interview Details – Was interviewed by two Nielsen employees. The interview consisted of resume, behavioral, and analytical/marketing questions. It wasn't very conversational, as they were simply reading off a list. I wasn't expecting the analytical and marketing questions to take up about half of the interview, as others who applied only had behavioral questions. Prior to the interview, I met one of my interviewers at pre-night, and when I asked him about tips, he suggested to vibe well with the interviewer and find a common interest and hobby. He said that during his interview, he talked about football for like 15 minutes. Was not impressed.

Interview Question – How many people fly out of the Chicago O'hare airport on a Monday?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in November 2011.

Interview Details – Interview process:
- Applied online through school website
- on campus interview (30 minute behavioral) with an associate manager / manager level. Super friendly, people are fun, casual, and interesting!
- Took a 1 hour test, mostly word problems and an essay
- Got a call two weeks later saying I got a final round interview (yay)
- Final round was 3 1-hr long interviews with VP/SVP level. All behavioral (claimed - but that wasn't my experience) as well. People were really easy to talk to and nice.
- around 3 weeks later I got my final offer. Had 2 weeks to decide and sign!

Interview Question – Interviewer puts a blank sheet of paper in front of me and a blank sheet of paper in front of herself. She asks "This is your product, this is my product. How would you differentiate yours from mine?"   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wilton, CT

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Nielsen Company.

Interview Details – I first encountered Nielsen at my school's career fair. The application process was pretty simple, it was just a resume and cover letter drop on my school's career website.

After a few days after the application deadline, I was notified that my application had been accepted for a first round interview. They day before the first round interview, there is an informal meet and greet where you take the assessment exam (straight forward math (I used an SAT math workbook to brush up on my skills) and two mini "marketing case" questions. The recruiters do send out a test prep guide before the assessment to give you an idea of what skills the assessment will test. After the assessment, the recruiters showed us a powerpoint presentation with more information about Nielsen as a whole and about the three verticals you can be placed in if given an offer.

The first round interview was pretty painless, as was the process as a whole, and took place on my school's campus. The interviewer was so nice and went out of his way to make the interview more of a conversation rather than a Q&A exchange. The interview was a mix of behavioral questions (Tell me about a time when...) and about two mini marketing case questions (these are not formal cases, like in consulting!). The whole interview was about 30 minutes. A couple of days after that, I was notified that I would continue to the second round.

The second round interview was scheduled to take place two weeks after my first round interview at the Nielsen office closest to my school. It consisted of an informal breakfast with some of the first year analysts and we had the opportunity to pick their brains about their responsibilities, etc and three back to back 45 min. interviews. The interviews again were pretty painless, I met with one person from each vertical, and they all went out of their way to make me feel at ease and to make the process more of a 'we're chatting to get to know each other' rather than just a Q&A session. All of the questions I got were behavioral. There were no marketing case questions.

Interview Question – You are working for Coca-Cola and are given the task to market two products: Diet Coke and Coke Zero. Develop the target audience for these two products and then walk me through how you would go about marketing these products to your chosen targets.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Yes, negotiation is possible, to a certain degree, but salaries are based on national averages.

Professional Service Analyst Interview

Professional Service Analyst
Chicago, IL

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in March 2012.

Interview Details – Met multiple times at career fairs and was offered interviews each time. Finally accepted interview which consisted of a 1:1 interview after passing the analytic test a week or two in advance. I was contacted approximately two weeks later for an on-site interview which consists of a lunch and three interviews.

Interview Question – Describe a time you failed.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in November 2010.

Interview Details – It was fairly straight forward. I had an in person interview at my school's career services office. The interview lasted roughly 30 minutes. Then I had to take an exam that surrounded some basic to more complex mathematical principles.

Interview Question – "Why do you want to work for Nielsen?"   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in November 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online through their online portal. I received a phone call a few weeks later, stating that I had been selected for a phone interview. I completed the interview on a Tuesday and the next day was told that Nielsen was interested in further pursuing me as a candidate. They scheduled an analytical test for that Friday. It was not easy, consisted of 10 problems and 2 case studies. I received an email that following Monday stating that I had passed the exam and was scheduled for an on-site interview. I interviewed that Friday in their Chicago, IL office. The first interview was lunch with a new Analyst, which amounted to a candid, low-pressure conversation. From there I met with one Director/VP of each of the 3 Professional Services units, individually. These each lasted about 45 minutes. Finally, we (myself and other candidates) concluded the interview in a round-table type setting with HR, some VPs, and some SVPs.

I left the interview feeling confident, but received an email about 2 weeks later stating that they decided to pursue other candidates.

Overall the interview process was positive. It seems like a great company to work for if given the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when someone you had a disagreement with someone you worked with? How did you resolve it?   Answer Question
  • Name a time when you had to make a quick decision.   Answer Question
  • Name a time when you had conflicting priorities, all on similar deadlines.
    (lots of "name a time when..." questions)
      Answer Question

Cincinnati, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in May 2010.

Interview Details – The first interaction is by E-mail, they ask for your resume and any cover letters and ask you to apply online so that they have a digital copy of all media that you wish to submit. Then depending on where you are located and where they intend to place you, you have a basic phone interview with behavioral questions and questions related to your education and work experience. The next step is to take a skills assessment to gauge your mathematical and analytical abilities. Assuming you are able to pass that, you will be asked to make an on-site appearance for a series of interviews consisting of three 45 minute interviews with individuals from each of the analyst departments. Depending on how well your interviews go, you will hopefully receive a job offer.

Interview Question – What variables might go into the formulation of a model used to predict sales volume?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is little to no negotiation for entry-level positions. You will be well compensated, so it's best to either accept or reject based on your other offers (if you have any).

Analyst, Professional Services Interview

Analyst, Professional Services
Cincinnati, OH

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in April 2010.

Interview Details – Got the interview through university career center. First round on-campus interview consisted of 1:1 interview with recruiter. Questions were mostly behavioral, with a couple "back-of-the-envelope" and factor case questions. Next round was one site, consisting of an informal lunch with current analysts, and 3 interviews with directors/vice presidents. The on-site interviews were mostly conversational and meant to demonstrate your knowledge of the company, your analytical skills, and you relevant work/research experience. Each also had at least 1 marketing case question (sometimes with accompanying graphs). Overall, very smooth process. Never felt like I was being grilled or pressured; the interviewers wanted you to get the questions right rather than waiting for you to screw up.

Interview Question – A well-known company is attempting to enter a new market. What factors should they consider before they decide to enter the market?   Answer Question

Professional Services Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at The Nielsen Company.

Interview Details – On campus recruiting

Interview Question – The questions were overall behavioral, but I felt the people they had chosen to interview were not very personable making the interview much more uncomfortable.   Answer Question

Worked for The Nielsen Company? Contribute to the Community!