The Nielsen Company

Average Difficulty
19 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Professional Services Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at The Nielsen Company.

Interview Details – I sent my resume through my university's online career center system and on the Nielsen website. I received an email about passing the initial round of resumes and scheduled an interview at my university two weeks later. I had a 30 minute behavioral interview with an employee in the Professional Services analyst position and then a 90 minute test on applied math skills. The behavioral interview was very relaxed and the skills test was slightly challenging but do-able! I haven't solved questions like these for many years but I was able to get through the entire test. Review upper level highschool statistics (college level statistics was not on the test).

Interview Question – What is the biggest mistake you ever made?   Answer Question

Professional Services Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Nielsen Company.

Interview Details – As a senior business major at UC Berkeley, I attended a couple recruitment events that Nielsen hosted on campus. The first two were purely informational, and gave a chance to network with the employees from various departments. Next, I submitted my resume to Nielsen via our school's career center website. After picking my resume, they asked me to take a test. The test was about an hour long and not too difficult - just some math and reasoning problems with little tricks here and there that might trip you up - I highly recommend triple-checking all of your answers if you have time. I did well enough on the test to get a first-round interview. While I had a decent amount of interview practice - both behavioral and case-based, I am not inherently a good interviewer, and this interview was not one of my strongest. It was only with one person - a VP (I don't remember his department). Up until that point, everyone I had met from Nielsen was very relaxed and friendly, but this man was painfully reserved and showed almost no interest whenever I opened my mouth to answer a question. I think I answered some questions well, but his cold vibe really got to me, and I ended up fumbling some answers as a result. I think there was one or two more rounds after, but I never got a call back. Only an email thanking me for my time.

Interview Question – Let's say that you work for Nabisco, and you're trying to convince Walgreens to add more shelf space for your products. What would you say? What questions would you need to ask?   Answer Question

Professional Services Analyst

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in December 2011.

Interview Details – After submitting a resume, I was invited to write the Analytic Test. Since they were pleased with my results, I was offered an interview - first with someone from the HR department, and then with two managers. The interview was arranged via email and phone. They were very accommodating of my school schedule.

I had a positive experience with the people involved. The two interviewers were very welcoming and made me feel at ease. I felt at ease throughout the interview as they were very laid back.

The work culture was amazing. They strongly promote a work-life balance, which I loved.

Interview Questions

• This job is very fast-paced and you could have many projects on the go at once. How do you handle this?   Answer Question
  • Describe a time you had to explain something to someone.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Professional Services Analyst

The process took a day - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in October 2011.

Interview Details – First round was at my school through the career center...basic behavioral questions with some analytical ones thrown in. The questions posted previously on this site were in my interview and helped me a lot. There was also a written test, I think 10 or so math problems, a writing sample, and a case study. I'm a very fast test taker and I finished with only about 15 minutes to recheck my answers. Pretty easy over all though.

Second round was an office visit, first went out to lunch with a current employee, then was interviewed by three managers. Questions were similar to the first round questions.

Interview Question – The Listerine question   Answer Question

Markham, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 7 months - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in March 2011.

Interview Details – I applied through on-campus employment service back in September 2010, and I didn't hear about them until March 2011, when they asked me to pass analytical test. The test was pretty straightforward(10 math questions and 2 essays). Now waiting for their next action, maybe in couple of years...

Interview Questions

• Using Venn-diagram calculate number of people. Total number is 100 people. out of them 70 read nightly newspaper and 40 read morning. 20 read neither. Calculate number of people who read only one newspaper, who read both and who read at least one   View Answers (2)
  • Calculating break even sales of one company based on the results of another one   Answer Question

Professional Services, Analyst

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in November 2010.

Interview Details – Started with a one-one interview, then had to complete a math/writing test. After passing the first round, traveled to Wilton, CT for a on-site interview, which involved 3 1:1 interviews.

Interview Question – How would you figure out the number of people in NY who drank coffee today?   Answer Question

Professional Services, Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in October 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was very insightful. The interviewer was helpful answering all of my questions and we both connected, sharing many of the same interests. The behavioral interview included a market sizing question some industry questions and the typical personal questions. The written exam was semi-tough. Make sure to freshen up on your basic statistics (union, non-union, etc.)

Interview Question – The statistics questions on the written exam.   Answer Question

Professional Services, Analyst

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in November 2010.

Interview Details – I was selected through college recruiting to participate in an initial interview. I met with a Nielsen executive. This was a very easy interview, and the interviewer was very friendly and helpful about providing information about the company. I had to take a test (basic statistics, a few case studies), but that was no problem. I then went to their office, where I interviewed with three executives. The first seemed very disinterested and even mentioned that we should just try and get this over with, and pretty much immediately alerted me that I wouldn't be getting an offer, before I even began to talk or was asked any questions. I then met with the two other executives, who were much better at portraying an interest, and seemed like very nice people. Therefore, these interviews went much better. I got the gist that the company may be running into financial problems, due to a failed IPO (they are owned by private equities). Not shockingly, I did not get an offer. They have also failed to reimburse anyone (i've talked to the other candidates) for travel expenses, leaving me with a sour taste, given that it took a day of driving to get there, a day of interviewing, and a day to drive back, all to find that I was dismissed as soon as I walked in the door (they also "supposedly" put me up in a very nice hotel, which I will apparently have to pay for). Also, they took over 3 weeks to get back to me on whether or not I would receive an offer, which was nice, as they have yet to respond to anyone else from my school.

Interview Question – Tell me about your budgeting experience   Answer Question

Professional Services, Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in October 2010.

Interview Details – Applied through university career site and was granted an interview. Interview was mostly behavioral (how do you describe a difficult idea to a group of people? tell me of a situation in which you did not get along with someone you were working with, etc) and there was one case-like question (you are consulting with a company who's market share is growing but with flat product sales...how do you advise them or explain the situation)? There was also an analytic assessment test w/ some basic microeconomic and probability questions.

Interviewer was very nice and the entire process was pretty comfortable. Received notification in about 2 weeks that I did not get a second interview.

Interview Question – How do you describe a complex idea or concept to a group of people?   Answer Question