The Nielsen Company Professional Services Interview Questions

Updated Oct 7, 2014

3.2

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Professional Services Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in September 2014.

Applied on campus, one 45 minute interview and you will know results within two weeks, technical and behavioral style, with two recent grads, info session beforehand, online assessment, do a walk-through of interview then ask about times when you used quantitative data to solve a problem and two or three case style questions, ask why you are a good fit for their company

Other Interview Reviews for The Nielsen Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in March 2014.

Applied through college, very easy process and met nice people who worked there. The interview was what I expected. Mostly behavioral but 2 case questions. The application consisted of submitting resume online and taking a logical test. Very similar to the LSAT. Not really mathy just more questions that really make you think. I thought it was pretty hard but I guess i didn't do too badly because I moved on to the interview round. (I think you need to get a certain amount correct to move on).

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to convince someone something.   Answer Question

Professional Services Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in November 2013.

On campus interview that was mostly behavioral with a couple small case studies. Followed two weeks later with an invite to interview on-site. Interviewed by 3 different employees on-site, with each interview essentially the same as the on campus interview, but with different questions. Heard back from them the day after the on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult. Was asked a couple of questions about how to determine how successful a product release would be.   Answer Question

Professional Services Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in October 2012.

I dropped my resume through my university career service as well as through the Nielsen careers site. A week after the resume drop deadline, I was contacted for a first round interview, consisting of a behavioral and a 2hr math/writing test. The test was what I would say, probability, finite, and business math problems with some writing questions as well. The writing portion asked to write a letter stating bad news to a CEO, nothing too difficult, just assessing business writing skills.

I completed the exam and then went to my interview. The interview was pretty standard and the lady that interviewed me seemed genuinely interested in my story. Normal, tell me about yourself, major, why do you want to be at Nielsen, how did you first hear about Nielsen and additional questions, format. About halfway through the interview they asked me to advice a client that was debating on where to invest his money. I would consider this a mini case, mostly focusing on your logic and points (there was no 'right' answer).

I didn't hear back from Nielsen for over a month. I knew some of my friends had received rejection letters so I decided to email my interviewer. The next day, she emailed me back and the day after I got a phone call extending me an offer.

Interview Questions
    • An investor comes to you with $100k. He doesn't know whether to invest in a pizza chain (many stores but ehh pizza quality) or a boutique pizzeria (only one store but everyone raves about the pizza). Where would you recommend he invests his money?   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate about a salary - it was my first offer and for an internship. I was given options as far as locations, where there was business need, and I picked from the choices.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in November 2011.

First round on campus behavioral interview and quantitative test. Test was not difficult mostly SAT level stats questions. 2nd round was on site. a couple of marketing mini case type questions including the how to market kindle to college students question. as well as a market sizing question. process was very disorganized and i was not impressed by the interviewers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in June 2011.

Very unstructured with the exception of the analytical exam. Had a chance to meet a few people from the team I would be working on, my boss and his boss. Clear explanation of the importance of the analytical exam and how to approach.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate salary based on my previous compensation but there was limited movement.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in April 2010.

I got the initial interview through my university and then was asked to interview at the location in Cincinnati, OH. Before advancing, I had to take an 1 1/2 hour test that consisted of word problems and a writing portion. The on-site interviews were very intense, we met with a representative from each of the three areas: continuous, specialized, and custom. This position is very math intensive, and a lot of your time is spent crunching numbers and then relaying this information to clients. I really liked the company as a whole, but this wasn't an environment that I would be comfortable in. If you are interviewing make sure you have a lot of examples of using analytic skills and be prepared to answer problem solving questions on the fly.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about finding the number of people in the UK who smoke?   Answer Question
    • Suppose you are opening the first gas station, how would you decide on were to put it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in March 2010.

One-on-one interview. I was asked why I wanted to work for the company, about past experiences in quantitative and interpersonal skills. I was asked to give examples of using certain skills. I was also given a marketing scenario and asked to brainstorm ideas. Overall, the interview was painless and the interviewer was very pleasant. The next step is an on-site interview, which I was invited for and will have soon.

Interview Questions
    • What would be a deal-breaker in a job for you? What don't you want in a job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in November 2009.

It was great; my interviewer was friendly and made the entire process clear. She was very sociable and easy to talk to and very knowledgeable about the company.

I only received a phone interview and after I 'passed' it, I was administered an analytical assessment that was largely math-based and had two written components.

All-in-all, my communication with HR and my interviewer was flawless and prompt. It was a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • You are the project manager of two clients: one is a large multinational chain restaurant with a large customer base that isn't necessarily loyal. The other is a small regional chain with a small customer base that is exceptionally loyal.

Which one do you choose to invest in?
        Answer Question

Professional Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Nielsen Company in October 2013.

(1) Online test - a blend of personality and GMAT questions, overall very difficult but nothing you can study for. I thought I bombed it, so don't fret! If you really want to prepare for the GMAT section, study some logic questions.
    (2) You are given a case study in powerpoint format, and are asked to submit your resolution a week later
    (3) HR Interview, immediately followed by a Business interview by two current employees - the Business interview was more difficult, as you had to present the case you submitted earlier. However, overall, the interview with BOTH HR and Business was amazing. Very, very nice and welcoming people - I felt at ease the entire time, and the conversation was very natural.

Tips: Show your personality and make them laugh! Be humble, funny, and confident - demonstrate you're a team player, leader, and willing to work hard but also have fun at the same time. Don't be too aggressive or off-putting; ask them how they're doing and try and establish a real relationship and rapport. Act as if they are a potential client you're going to work with.

Overall: Great experience. I've done a lot of interviews, but I knew Nielsen was the best fit for me long before I applied to other places.

No negotiation.