The Nielsen Company

Getting the Interview

31 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied in-person and interviewed at The Nielsen Company.

Interview Details – Two rounds of interviews, with a written assessment

Interview Question – All the questions were pretty standard   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and interviewed at The Nielsen Company.

Interview Details – Applied online, was asked for a phone interview to which I replied with available times and received no response. I followed up within the time frame in case the email was lost or something but still nothing. Very odd and unprofessional. It seems that if there were too many responses an email is an easy thing to send these days.

Interview Question – the lack of any....   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in January 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online but also had an employee referral. Recruiter contacted me quickly by email. There was a phone interview, followed by an online skills and personality test, and then two rounds of three 45 minute interviews followed by a lunch with a current analyst.

The skills test questions were similar to LSAT questions. Qualitative logic type questions not quantitative or math skills questions.

The interview process took a very long time and the HR department seems somewhat disorganized.

Interview Question – There were a lot of case study questions. Since I interviewed with 6 different people I got a wide variety of standard interview questions.

One interviewer gave me his pen and asked me to sell it to him.
  Answer Question

Cincinnati, OH

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in January 2013.

Interview Details – After application, it was 2-3 weeks before hearing back from the team lead (not HR, for which I was glad) about setting up a phone interview. We set one up and discussed my background, resume, education, and general interview stuff: how do you prefer to think, etc. At the conclusion, the interviewer said he would like to set up another phone interview with another member of the team, and I sent available times. The second interview was more focused on the company itself, and what the particular development team (the one I would be joining) did.

Another two or so weeks passed before I received a message from the team lead, saying I'd moved forward to the written analytical test. It was sent to me by email on a mutually discussed and agreed-upon date/time, and I completed it at home, scanned my on-paper answers into a PDF, and sent it back to him. In a few days, I was informed I'd moved to the in-person interview.

The in-person interview was three parts, and each involved interviews with members of the team (again, I was thankful for minimal HR intrusion). One interviewer was the team lead again, with a mix of analytical and "soft skills" questions. The second was more technical and mathematical, getting further into the statistical and calculus elements of the position. The third was mostly personality- and behavior-based in the questioning.

I was told I'd hear back within two weeks, and I did. The interview was a Friday; I heard back in 13 days precisely. Unfortunately, I was not selected, but it was a very nice process overall. I even inquired to the team lead if there was anything in particular that made the chosen candidate, and he was kind enough to tell me what made the difference.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was a technical one involving the use of functionals. I can't remember the precise wording.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Nielsen Company.

Interview Details – Referral. Phone Interview. Invited for assessment at local office. Didn't pass the assessment and was notified that I would not be moving forward.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in market research?   Answer Question

Parsippany, NJ

The process took 2 months - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in December 2011.

Interview Details – Initial interview was on-campus with one Nielsen employee from NYC with a required analytical assessment. The assessment is consistent with the other example problems posted here and was very simple SAT-I-level stuff. I received a follow-up about one or two weeks later with a request to set up a an on-site interview a week or two after the call. The on-site interview comprised interviews with three people. After another week of downtime I received an invitation to come in again for another set of interviews (three, again).

The culture seems very laid back from my impression of the employees in the interview. They are very nice and genuinely enjoy what they do. I declined the second on-site interview because my impression from the long downtimes between interviews was that the company might be a little too bureaucratic for my desires, and I was growing wearisome of the interview process. Clearly they want the candidate to be a strong fit but I think two three-round onsites after the initial on-campus is a little too much for me personally.

Overall the people are very nice but the interview process is far too long. I was unimpressed since I was aiming for a January 2012 start date.

Interview Question – <firm> needs to increase sales. What kind of methods can they use to determine effectiveness of new product/promotion?   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in July 2011.

Interview Details – After submitting an application online I was contacted by a recruiter a few weeks later who scheduled a phone screen. After the initial 30 minute phone interview I was brought in the following week for a couple of one-on-one interviews and a math test that consisted of word problems. About a week later I was asked to complete a case study, but I had already accepted another offer so I was unable to continue with the recruiting process.

Nielsen seemed like an interesting place to work with many different types of research going on, and everyone I met with was very pleasant and easy to talk to. However, the recruiting process is excruciatingly slow.

Chicago, IL

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in September 2010.

Interview Details – Soon after I submitted my resume, I was contacted for a phone interview. At this time, I was scheduled for an analytical assessment. I didn't think the assessment was that awful, but I did run out of time. There are a lot of business related math concepts requiring multiple steps. There were also 2 case studies. I think for a business, econ, or math background, this test would be a breeze. I found out a week after the assessment that I didn't meet the requirements. I guess it wasn't the job for me.

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in August 2010.

Interview Details – I only rated the process difficult because of the assessment. The hiring process is very structured, phone, assessment, goup interviews and a verdict. I took the asessment recently and it was much harder than expected. The test would have been much easier if I would have anticipated a difficult test however, I went into the test thinking it couldnt be too hard, wrong. Practice probability, breakeven points and profitability along with time management and reading comprehension. If you prepare well you should be ok. The recruiter opened up the phone interview by asking what I know about Nielsen. Seems like a great company to work for if given the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Nielsen?   Answer Question
  • You are given a case study about a magazine article and asked to analyze the article and expand on the effectiveness.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in May 2010.

Interview Details – Standard interview questions, then a question about how you would advise a client on how to bring a new prodcut to market, being specific

Interview Question – What would you advise a client who is launching a new product to do?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Nielsen Company

Worked for The Nielsen Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Nielsen Company Research Analyst interview questions and advice. All 31 interview reviews posted anonymously by The Nielsen Company employees and interview candidates.