The Nielsen Company

Relevance Date Difficulty

Client Service Manager Interview

Client Service Manager
Schaumburg, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in February 2010.

Interview Details – Talked at an industry function with a Nielsen employee, he then reached out to me based on our conversation and my expressed interest. Interviews were scheduled with VP, Director, and then two "Associate" level folks. I met with VP and Associates first, then went to lunch with the Director I would be working for, which made for a more relaxed final interview.

Interview Question – The VP did ask me to describe how I would handle two situations, one where Nielsen data was correct but the client interpreted it wrong and one where the Nielsen data was wrong, leading client in the wrong direction.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate salary up and vacation up from initial offer.

Professional Services Interview

Professional Services
Schaumburg, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in June 2011.

Interview Details – Very unstructured with the exception of the analytical exam. Had a chance to meet a few people from the team I would be working on, my boss and his boss. Clear explanation of the importance of the analytical exam and how to approach.

Interview Question – Not really anything out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate salary based on my previous compensation but there was limited movement.

Very Easy Interview

Research Statistician Interview

Research Statistician
Schaumburg, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in April 2013.

Interview Details – I initially spoke with a recruiter from Florida. She was very pleasant and simply verified my resume. Then I spoke on the phone with two different managers from Florida and California. They asked mainly behavior questions. After that I was brought into the office to speak with those who work in the office. Again, primarily behavior questions.
After that, I was given an offer.

Interview Question – Why are you here?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None- they said this offer is the best they can do

Operations Manager Interview

Operations Manager
Schaumburg, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in March 2013.

Interview Details – An internal employee referral helped me get my resume and application to the right recruiting team. I was then contacted about a week later by Human Resources and had two phone screenings with two separate individuals within HR. The position I had applied for was eventually extended to another candidate, but they told me other similar positions would be posted soon and that they would consider me for those. About a week later I received a follow-up call from HR telling me about a new opening and I was immediately scheduled for two phone interviews - one with a would-be peer and one with the person I was replacing. After those discussions, they scheduled me for a final round of phone interviews with the hiring manager and another peer. I received an offer the next business day!!

Interview Question – No questions were unexpected. Most of my interviews were very conversational rather than the typical canned questions. This made the discussions more of an equal exchange.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Compensation and benefits including vacation time were excellent right out of the gate. No additional negotiation was necessary on my part.

Financial Leadership Program Interview

Financial Leadership Program
Schaumburg, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in November 2012.

Interview Details – Found the position through campus hiring website. Applied online and was given an on campus interview. After about a week, they flew me into the Chicago office for a second-round invitational. The invitational lasted two days consisting of presentations on the company, interviews, and a group presentation. Everyone was very welcoming, and they really just want to get to know who you are. Interviews are mostly behavioral. The group presentation tests you mainly on your logic, how you work with a team, and your presentation skills.

Interview Question – What's the most impressive thing on your resume?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager
Schaumburg, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in March 2012.

Interview Details – All applicants required to take about a 3 hour test. Seems a bit ridiculous to require this, but guess they were hiring too many people that didn't know basic math. 10 basic math questions, 2 case studies. Relatively easy if you know conditional probabilities and remember high school math.

Interview Question – Basic Math skills test - just make sure you reach each question carefully so you don't incorrectly answer due to not reading the question fully.   Answer Question

Account Service Executive Interview

Account Service Executive
Schaumburg, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in December 2011.

Interview Details – I was called by a HR specialist and was asked questions like
“ Have you word with data?”
“Have you managed people before"

Interview Questions

GBS Internship, Operations Section Interview

GBS Internship, Operations Section
Schaumburg, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in February 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was one 45 minute fit/ behavioral interview with a senior manager. It was easy and the questions were very standard, mostly dealing with teamwork examples and how you deal with conflict. Also they were very interested in different leadership roles I had.

Interview Question – Talk about a time when you had to deal with conflict.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for The Nielsen Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Nielsen Company interview questions and advice in Schaumburg, IL. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by The Nielsen Company employees and interview candidates.