The PFM Group Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

2.8

Financial Advisory Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The PFM Group.

Interview

It was very easy. I received an email requesting an in person interview. (No phone interview). I went to the office. The interview lasted about 20 minutes. Then I was asked simple fit questions. They had me walk through them through their resume. Four hours later I received a call that I got the job.

Analyst (Consultant) Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at The PFM Group.

Interview

1.) Brief phone interview with the HR department (lasted around 30 minutes or so) 2.) Online quantitative assessment (you have an hour to complete, takes less time than that though) 3.) A second phone interview with the branch director in which you are applying for 4.) In person 3 on 1 interview (last around 2 hours depending on questions you ask ect.) 5.) Received offer later that week

Interview Questions

• Q: Name a time that you led a team project and failed.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The PFM Group.

Interview

Took a math assessment and was asked 2 days later to have an in-person interview the following week. The interview was 2 parts in which I met with 3 managing directors and 3 of their junior analysts. Was then asked to provide a writing sample. Was offered a position a few days later.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about public finance? Why are you interested in PFM?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Very good experience with every one that I spoke with at PFM throughout the process. Applied through my college database. Heard back from HR within 3 days to take a quantitative assessment, and arrange an informal interview with a recruiter to go over my resume and see where I would be a good fit. Identified two potential teams, and had a phone interview with two managing directors 2 days later. Heard back form HR to set up an in-person interview for a week later. Interviewed in person with three directors, and heard back with an offer the following business day.

Interview Questions

• Why public finance? Why PFM? Why did you choose your college? Tell me about a time that you worked in a team and it didn't go well--what would you have done differently?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at The PFM Group (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

First round was a 30 minute on-campus interview. Met with a couple of hiring managers who were very nice and personable. Asked some basic interview questions to get to know me better as an individual and employee. Overall, it was not too difficult and didn't require much preparation. Apparently, this entry position is a lot of work with limited compensation.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The PFM Group in March 2015.

Interview

I applied in the middle of February. I was asked to complete a math skills test. After passing that (I assume since I moved on in the process) I was emailed to schedule a first round interview in March. I met with two of the senior members of team together. They mainly asked about my educational background and my work experience. I was also asked about current events. After, I met with a junior member of the team, which was similar to the first interview. Asked about my excel skills and what my favorite excel function is. I was offered a second interview which took place at the end of March. Same structure as the first round. I could tell that fit is very important more so than relevant skills or knowledge of the industry. This is probably because they have an excellent training program that will teach you the basics of the business but one can't teach fit. I actually have relevant skills and knowledge through previous employment, so YMMV. About a month later I was offered the position and accepted.

Interview Questions

• Do you think that the Federal Reserve should raise interest rates?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at The PFM Group (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Basically walk through me your resume type. I had to explain line by line what I have done for each of my work experience, and they were basically interested in that. I had to explain why public finance and how they fit into my interest in working for a public finance company.

Consultant (Financial Advisory) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at The PFM Group (Orlando, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

First interview was at my college's career resource center. It was a one on one interview and took about 45 minutes. Second interview was at their office. I met with 3 separate groups of people, ranging from 2 to 3 people per group. They mostly asked questions about my resume and why I would make a good addition to their team.

Interview Questions

• First Interview-Tell about a time you succeeded; Tell about a time you failed.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Interview

4 interviews with multiple different project managers. They wanted references along with my transcripts and a writing sample. Great environment and you can tell everyone really works hard. Each interview was about 45 minutes long and they asked about typical interview questions and why you were interested in the position and what aspects made you qualify for the position.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

Interview

Had an initial test at home that tested quantitative skills. Then had in person interview at the office. Interview was a 2 on 1 interview and was not lengthy. Not an extremely stressful process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Try to negotiate.