The Philadelphia Inquirer

Relevance Date Difficulty

Editorial Board Interview

Editorial Board
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through other source and interviewed at The Philadelphia Inquirer.

Interview Details – They had my resume before I was called. I came in for an interview and was offered a job.

Interview Question – Would I be alright with writing editorials that represented the board's consensus but with my byline.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I did not feel comfortable writing editorials that would not reflect my sentiments, but were the consensus of the board or management, yet would have my by-line.

Writer/Editing/Reporting Interview

Writer/Editing/Reporting
Philadelphia, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Philadelphia Inquirer in November 2010.

Interview Details – I thought the interview went fabulous. The position of a copy writer wasn't as desirable as I had wanted.
I wanted to write columns and or report for the paper. The interview was receptive and positive re: my delivery and what I had desired. No position was open for writer/reporter at that time. However, they plan to contact me as soon as a position opens.

Interview Question – Would you be willing to travel all over the world, if need be?   View Answer

Copy Editing Intern Interview

Copy Editing Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at The Philadelphia Inquirer.

Interview Details – The Inquirer selects two copy editing interns for each summer session. One is selected from Penn State, the other from Kansas State. About 40 journalism students from my school (Penn State) applied for this position. Interviews are conducted in late January with the Deputy Managing Editor on campus. He goes over your resume with you, and asks you questions about your experience with copy editing. He then asks you to demonstrate your copy editing abilities during the interview by providing you with several paragraphs that need editing.

Interview Question – What makes a great copy editor?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for The Philadelphia Inquirer? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Philadelphia Inquirer interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by The Philadelphia Inquirer employees and interview candidates.