The Philadelphia Inquirer Interview Questions

2.7

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Philadelphia Inquirer

Editorial Board Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at The Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

They had my resume before I was called. I came in for an interview and was offered a job.

Interview Questions

• Would I be alright with writing editorials that represented the board's consensus but with my byline.   1 Answer

I did not feel comfortable writing editorials that would not reflect my sentiments, but were the consensus of the board or management, yet would have my by-line.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2012.

Interview

Very straightforward. Discussion of experience and company's needs. Reviewed industry trends and latest developments across many departments. Review of skills was thorough. Discussion of benefits was well designed and direct in presenting important information on pension and health benefits. Also took references from three previous employers, which i found out were contacted.

Interview Questions

• How my experience would address certain marketing problems.   1 Answer

Writer/Editing/Reporting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, PA) in November 2010.

Interview

I thought the interview went fabulous. The position of a copy writer wasn't as desirable as I had wanted.
    I wanted to write columns and or report for the paper. The interview was receptive and positive re: my delivery and what I had desired. No position was open for writer/reporter at that time. However, they plan to contact me as soon as a position opens.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to travel all over the world, if need be?   1 Answer

Copy Editing Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The Philadelphia Inquirer.

Interview

The Inquirer selects two copy editing interns for each summer session. One is selected from Penn State, the other from Kansas State. About 40 journalism students from my school (Penn State) applied for this position. Interviews are conducted in late January with the Deputy Managing Editor on campus. He goes over your resume with you, and asks you questions about your experience with copy editing. He then asks you to demonstrate your copy editing abilities during the interview by providing you with several paragraphs that need editing.