The Roomplace

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Interview

Sales
Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Roomplace in August 2008.

Interview Details – Applications for employment are submitted online. Human Resources submits information to hiring management of these qualified applicants. Store manager contacts those applicants to set up interviews. The process usually involves two interviews with both the Store Manager and an assistant manager. After a manager qualifies the applicant as a good fit for the position, a background check and drug testing is done. This process usually takes longer than a week.

Interview Question – Have you found that you work well with all managers that you have worked with?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Roomplace in August 2012.

Interview Details – walk in, tell them your here for an interview and you will sit down and get straight to the questions

Interview Question – Do you like furniture?
tell me about your employment experience?
can u work evenings, weekends and holidays?
  Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Schaumburg, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Roomplace in February 2011.

Interview Details – The interview itself was quick, simple, and to-the-point. The manager at the Schaumburg store at the time was very serious during the interview, but cared enough to actually listen and talk in-depth about things with you.

Interview Question – Sell me this couch...   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Sales
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Roomplace in August 2011.

Interview Details – My interview for a sales position was somewhat old school and typical. There were few surprise questions from the GM who was doing the hiring. It was surprisingly routine and format. (e.g. tell me about a time you encountered a difficulty at work and how you overcame it ). The manager was very tightly wound during the entire process. She came off like a stoic librarian. She went over my work history in less than five minutes, asked few questions about it, then spent the next fifteen minutes talking about the company and her career with them.

I had walked the sales floor earlier and had counted the number of sales associates on duty knowing fully well that a commissioned sales person can be easily undermined if there are too many sharks on the floor. I counted 11 salespeople and thought this was too high for a weekday Summer afternoon. When I asked the manager why she had eleven people on the floor she responded, "Eleven?! There should be sixteen out there!!" She then explained to me that the customer traffic ebbs and flows and seemed to be dismissive of my concern. This, of course, was the deciding factor in my not pursuing a position with them. Can't make any money if the deck is already stacked against you.

The other factor that made me wary was that her employees seemed to be very oppressed and highly intimidated by her. She had already explained to me that she was the manager on duty at that time so I fully expected that we would be interrupted at some point. No biggie...it's retail....and the customer should come first. The first time a salesperson stepped into her doorway, she shot him a look of absolute death. I was a bit taken aback by this laser gaze. The poor saleman was so unraveled by this look that he started stammering. He couldn't get a sentence out and then sweat started beading on his forehead. This was yet another bad omen.

The employees seemed generally unhappy, suspicious, or intimidated once they knew I wasn't a customer and that I had an interview scheduled.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Too many sales people working on the commissioned sales floor

Worked for The Roomplace? Contribute to the Community!