The San Francisco Chronicle

3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Copy Editor Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The San Francisco Chronicle.

Interview Details – Interviews filled a full workday. I talked with HR reps, the copy desk chief, the executive editor and more. I sat in on the afternoon newsroom meeting where editors determine what will go on the front page. I applied and got no response, but then I met a higher-up at an industry event and that person moved my application forward, so networking is important. As a copy editor, I also had to pass an editing and headline-writing test. Do your homework.

Interview Question – I suppose the editing/headline test was the most difficult part, especially the portions where I needed to write headlines about a story to fit a particular space. Pay attention to detail!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I named a high number, the other person named one slightly lower, and we compromised in the middle. I raised my minimum salary given the cost of living in the Bay Area. Don't underestimate that cost!

Very Easy Interview

Staff Reporter & Writer Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person and interviewed at The San Francisco Chronicle.

Interview Details – For a reporter or assignment / desk editor job: he best way to get hired is to write directly to the Department Head (City Editor, Features / Datebook Editor, Deputy Managing Editor for Features).

For copy-editing job, write to head of copy editors. Sorry, forgot that title.

Avoid HR.

Write a kick-ass cover letter, and send resume.

If you know anyone who works there, have them put in a plug. Like everywhere, it is who you know.

Getting an interview is more than half the work. For newsroom job on interview day, you will talk to the department head, an assignment editor, a few colleagues, then the Managing Editor and/or Executive Editor. All 1 on 1, no group interview. Most done in a single day....

Very mellow, surprisingly. Not a grueling interrogation at all. If you've gotten to the interview stage, they want to like you. The job is almost yours -- unless you kick it away.

I think they called one reference. No written tests (except, I'm sure, for copy editors) -- except maybe a drug test? Can't remember.

BTW, it's a fast process. It's a Yes or No within days!

Interview Question – Shockingly, for a bunch of journalists, they ask very few good or hard-ball questions. It's mostly chatter about your experience. Be enthusiastic. Be friendly. Don't try to impress -- comes off arrogant. (Most in newsroom did NOT come from Ivy League or big city newspapers; there's a real inferiority complex // defensiveness there!) Like everywhere else, people hire less on resumes and more on who they like.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Get it ALL up front!!!!!!! You will never see a raise (other than union raise, which is paltry, at best)!

There's always a teeny bit of play on salary. Maybe $50-$100 from their initial offer. Salaries are really awful., especially for a major newspaper in such an expensive city. Of course, ideal if you have another offer or at least another interview with another newspaper ....

**Call up the Newspaper Guild BEFORE your interview, and find out what the salary ranges are for the job you're applying for! NOT just the Guild minimum, but what people are actually making!

**Try to get at least one extra week vacation -- it's easy for them to give up.

Reporter Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at The San Francisco Chronicle in May 2009.

Interview Details – Pretty dismal. First question my interviewer asked was: What is your current salary? I provided an answer, and he interviewer immediately said they couldn't pay me that much.

Interview Questions

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for The San Francisco Chronicle? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The San Francisco Chronicle interview questions and advice in San Francisco, CA. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by The San Francisco Chronicle employees and interview candidates.