The San Francisco Chronicle

2.4

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Multimedia Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The San Francisco Chronicle.

Very easy. I came in a referral and was offered a job at the interview. I was informed of the expectations and was surprised that the vast majority of sales reps worked a a 7.5 hour work day. Almost no one worked late. That has changed since I was initially hired.

Interview Questions
    • N/A They asked standard sales development questions.   View Answer
    I negotiated additional vacation. There is little wiggle room as the sales team is unionized. Offer was based upon years of experience.

Circulation Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at The San Francisco Chronicle in August 2014.

I was contacted by HR and asked to come on site for an interview. We confirmed a date over the phone, and she said she would send me an agenda for the interview. After 3 days, I had to follow up with her to check on the agenda, which she said she had forgotten about, and emailed over to me. The interview was fine, 6 people individually(one session had 2 people), and at the end of the interview I was shown out by the final interviewer, no final contact with HR. I followed up with them after a week, and again after two weeks, but never heard anything back. If you've taken the time to reach out to someone for an interview, respect them enough to at least tell them they did not get the job. Leaving people hanging is shoddy HR.

Interview Questions
    • Not anything difficult, mostly around PM experience, a lot of giving context to the role as it was a newly created position.   Answer Question

Copy Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The San Francisco Chronicle.

Interviews filled a full workday. I talked with HR reps, the copy desk chief, the executive editor and more. I sat in on the afternoon newsroom meeting where editors determine what will go on the front page. I applied and got no response, but then I met a higher-up at an industry event and that person moved my application forward, so networking is important. As a copy editor, I also had to pass an editing and headline-writing test. Do your homework.

Interview Questions
    • I suppose the editing/headline test was the most difficult part, especially the portions where I needed to write headlines about a story to fit a particular space. Pay attention to detail!   Answer Question
    I named a high number, the other person named one slightly lower, and we compromised in the middle. I raised my minimum salary given the cost of living in the Bay Area. Don't underestimate that cost!

Staff Reporter & Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person – interviewed at The San Francisco Chronicle.

For a reporter or assignment / desk editor job: he best way to get hired is to write directly to the Department Head (City Editor, Features / Datebook Editor, Deputy Managing Editor for Features).

For copy-editing job, write to head of copy editors. Sorry, forgot that title.

Avoid HR.

Write a kick-ass cover letter, and send resume.

If you know anyone who works there, have them put in a plug. Like everywhere, it is who you know.

Getting an interview is more than half the work. For newsroom job on interview day, you will talk to the department head, an assignment editor, a few colleagues, then the Managing Editor and/or Executive Editor. All 1 on 1, no group interview. Most done in a single day....

Very mellow, surprisingly. Not a grueling interrogation at all. If you've gotten to the interview stage, they want to like you. The job is almost yours -- unless you kick it away.

I think they called one reference. No written tests (except, I'm sure, for copy editors) -- except maybe a drug test? Can't remember.

BTW, it's a fast process. It's a Yes or No within days!

Interview Questions
    • Shockingly, for a bunch of journalists, they ask very few good or hard-ball questions. It's mostly chatter about your experience. Be enthusiastic. Be friendly. Don't try to impress -- comes off arrogant. (Most in newsroom did NOT come from Ivy League or big city newspapers; there's a real inferiority complex // defensiveness there!) Like everywhere else, people hire less on resumes and more on who they like.   Answer Question
    Get it ALL up front!!!!!!! You will never see a raise (other than union raise, which is paltry, at best)!

There's always a teeny bit of play on salary. Maybe $50-$100 from their initial offer. Salaries are really awful., especially for a major newspaper in such an expensive city. Of course, ideal if you have another offer or at least another interview with another newspaper ....

**Call up the Newspaper Guild BEFORE your interview, and find out what the salary ranges are for the job you're applying for! NOT just the Guild minimum, but what people are actually making!

**Try to get at least one extra week vacation -- it's easy for them to give up.

Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at The San Francisco Chronicle in May 2009.

Pretty dismal. First question my interviewer asked was: What is your current salary? I provided an answer, and he interviewer immediately said they couldn't pay me that much.