The Scripps Research Institute Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2015

2.6

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Scripps Research Institute.

Interview

Interviewed with the PI directly. I presented my previous research and then possible future directions. Initially I corresponded with the PI via email and had my references sent over electronically. Following that, I contacted them again regarding interviewing possibilities. I was invited to present my data talk, following which we discussed about ongoing projects in the lab, and how I might contribute to the same.

Interview Questions

• How do I envision aligning my expertise with their research goals?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Scripps Research Institute (San Diego, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online through Scripps careers. Received a call from HR next day to try and schedule an interview for the same week. 1:1 meeting with HR recruiter from prepared questions, then, if appropriate they call PI. If PI deems it appropriate after HR call, you can meet in another building (even though you're already scheduled for interview with PI, which is weird and unusual). PI meeting was quick, focused too much on brief summer internships. No lab tour or meet and greet with lab members (clue for not getting position). No word from HR to candidates not chosen (expect candidate to check position status online through Scripps)

Lab Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Scripps Research Institute (San Diego, CA).

Interview

I submitted my resume online. The staff hiring manager contacted me through email and told me to pick a day to schedule my interview. Most communication was done by email Come interview day, I went into the lab, had a conversation with 4 of the other lab members, mostly me asking them questions. Then after the head researcher interviewed me and we had like a 10 minute talk.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe yourself? Do you have any questions for me?   Answer Question

Lab Assistant/Work-study Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute.

Interview

All communications were done through email. Asked to come to lab by research assistant, gave a quick tour of the lab and asked few questions, then talked to PI for few questions, told to wait for response. Then few days later, got my job asking for confirmation.

Interview Questions

• Do you experience working in lab? Do you know how ot do basic dilutions?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Scripps Research Institute.

Interview

The first phase was to create and apply on their website, http://hr.scripps.edu/jobs/index.html. You will have to answer their questions, submit a Resume, Cover letter. (additional certifications optional) You can continue to check the status of your resume/application. Phase 2 you will be contacted via phone and asked if you are available for a interview. Once you confirm you are available you will receive an email with details of time, location, and POC. Phase 3 is the actual interview. You will be asked to fill out paperwork, take a typing test, then you will be interviewed and your test results will be reviewed also.

Interview Questions

• There was not an unexpected question. It was a very basic interview.   Answer Question

Staff Scientist Interview

Interview

Phone interview from HR and Lab's personnels. Depending on which lab carrying the search, the questions are different. The phone interviews may last for 1 hr each. May ask for the subjects' knowledge, questions on the research summary. Inform about which tasks would the position require.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Scripps Research Institute.

Interview

Hiring and interview process depends entirely on PI and lab. It is easy to get a position here if you bring your own funding. Interview typically involves a research presentation and lunch/dinner with the lab you will join. Some people get a very tough interview. In my case, everything happened by email

Research Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The Scripps Research Institute.

Interview

in total, the interview process took 4 hours: a mix of meeting the laboratory members and seeing the facility. It was very detailed and I got a very good idea of the facility and the team I applied to work in. Be prepared for a long interview ( as is common with science jobs) and be knowledgeable of what the Principal Investigator has been working on.

Interview Questions

• What are you wanting to do with this job in your future?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Understand that grant money is tight. Experience will weigh in your favour

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Scripps Research Institute (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Applied online, process took more than a month to land an interview. Initial HR interview, prepared questions. If HR deems it appropriate they send you in to the lab. Informative interview with the lab members, discussed their research and approaches.

Research Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Scripps Research Institute in August 2013.

Interview

It was a 2 round process. 1st one was simple HR where they simply asked about the project or past work you have done. They looked more concern why you are interested in this job. The 2nd was technical interview. Where the guy who was going to mentor me interviewed me. He asked some basic OOPS question java question and some problems to solve they were quite easy.

Interview Questions

• The technical interview was easy just do the basics of object oriented design some basic database, and some java concepts.   Answer Question