The Shade Store

3 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Design/Sales Consultant Interview

Design/Sales Consultant

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at The Shade Store in April 2014.

Interview Details – I was e-mailed and asked when I was available for a phone interview later that day. I checked my e-mail a half hour after the message arrived and responded immediately that I was available at any time that day. I didn't hear back from the person. So I e-mailed that night to say I was also available all day the next day. I didn't hear anything that next day. So I called the next day and left a voicemail explaining that I hoped my e-mail hadn't ended up in a spam folder. I then received an e-mail that day asking when I was available. I immediately responded that once again I was completely open. This time he responded with a time that I accepted and he called at 7pm. At the end, I was told that the next step was for me to "e-mail some questions and keep the conversation going," which of course I did. However, I never received a response. I felt that was kind of rude.

Interview Question – They were all pretty standard questions.   Answer Question

Graphic Designer Interview

Graphic Designer
Port Chester, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Shade Store in October 2011.

Interview Details – The staff looked miserable as I walked through the work area and they were crammed in like sardines. The marketing director and the owner were very enthusiastic about the company and its products (as expected), but things took a downward spiral as the owner's ego got in the way of conversation. I felt like he was combative and trying to play "gotchya." Although, he wasn't mean or spiteful. I will say that they were "cool" and lax, but definitely in need of some interview training.

They couldn't tell me what the job entailed and wanted me to give up my side freelance projects to "dump all my time and resources into the company." They also had the nerve to tell me that I should expect to stay for five or more years. There was a lot of concern surrounding that and my personality, rather than my portfolio or skills, which I found to be odd.

Advice? Come prepared to listen, but don't expect the interview to be about you.

Interview Question – What are some company brands out there that you admire?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – By the end of the interview, I barely got a word in edge wise and wasn't given the opportunity to ask questions before the owner cut it all short. Yet, I was asked to return within a few days. When I tried to negotiate for a little more time, it was made clear that they weren't interested in giving me any.

Showroom Designer Interview

Showroom Designer
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at The Shade Store in February 2012.

Interview Details – I was interviewed first by one of the company's associates, and then by the owner's of the company. Everyone was very casual and friendly, and I got the feeling they were just trying to tell if I would be a good fit. All in all a great vibe from all of the people I interviewed with, honest friendly and straightforward.

Interview Questions

• What do you think your last employer misses most about you?   View Answer
  • What are you looking for in a company?   View Answer

Worked for The Shade Store? Contribute to the Community!