The Standard

23 candidate interviews

Director Interview

Director
Portland, OR

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Standard in June 2010.

Interview Details – Phone screen with recruiter, 1 hr phone discussion with hiring manager, day long interview consisting of multiple panel interviews.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Claims Supervisor Interview

Claims Supervisor

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Standard in August 2010.

Interview Details – Behavioral questions are used in the interview. In some cases a rather questionable way to determine if someone is a worthy hire. Hiring managers stick to this strict strictly and it doesn't allow for much deviation or 1:1 or direct questioning.

Interview Question – Provide an example of a time when you demonstrated an ability to affect change. How did you do so, what worked and what didn't   Answer Question

Participant Services Rep Interview

Participant Services Rep
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Standard in April 2009.

Interview Details – The overall interview process was rather disorganized. I understand it is an employer driven market but not all people not currently working are desparate. Here is the process. I was called for setting up an interview with one person and had the interview set. The next day I get a call saying someone else will call to set up a new interview. I have the phone interview and I am told I will be brought in for an in person interview. A week later I have the in person interview. I arrive and try to find the person who is interviewing. I am told the person is in another building down the street. I know this is not the case. I decide to wait and the interview person arrives. I have the interview and feel I did fairly well. I send a thank you email in a day and don't hear anything. After 2 weeks from the interview I get an email from someone saying they have decided to not offer a position. That is fine but at this point I was not sure I would have accepted it anyway.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you went above and beyond the expectation from a customer?   Answer Question
  • Not a question but an audio test in a call center environment where you need to listen and have a lot of background noise and questions asked.   View Answer

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Standard.

Interview Details – Seemless process. I found the position through Indeed.com, applied online. It was simple. I had a phone interview with staffing and then scheduled interviews with the team and managers.

Negotiation Details – Straightforward. They exceeded my expectations in every area that I asked for. It was a great process.

Process Architect Interview

Process Architect
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at The Standard in April 2014.

Interview Details – The process included two phone screens - one with the recruiter and another with the hiring manager. Three candidates were selected to interview on site. The in person interview had two parts. First with a 2-person peer panel that posed situational questions. The second was with the hiring manager which actually felt more like a phone screen than an in-person interview. I think it was due to a large time gap between the phone screen and the in-person interview. In the interview invite I was asked to bring work samples but I wasn't asked for it during the interview. I used the samples when I was asked if there was anything else I wanted to share.

Interview Question – The hiring manager gave me a quiz on terms and the variations of the same type of terms. For example, what's the difference between TAK time and throughput. I believe the questions were less about my knowledge and more about the interviewer's desire to relate to the concept terms. Because the job was in an administrative area the manufacturing terms commonly get murky.   Answer Question

DC Analyst Interview

DC Analyst

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Standard.

Interview Details – Phone interview first then panel interview. Behavior type questions - sometimes can be a panel of people (4). Wasn't very difficult but it was stressful like all interviews are. Skills like working with excel spreadsheet is an advantage with this company. Be prepared to show that you can data mine also.

Interview Question – Tell me about your accomplishments   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not negotiable

Sales Interview

Sales

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at The Standard.

Interview Details – Interviewed separately with Sales manager twice and with members of sales team. Part question and answer session, part informal conversation. Questions centered around sales and industry experience with emphasis on my personal sales style and past accomplishments. They painted a very nice portrait of The Standard and it seemed like a nice place to work.

Interview Question – Give us an example of a failure in your career and how you learned from it.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at The Standard in November 2013.

Interview Details – The actual interview itself was industry standard. The process itself was unorthodox and in some ways misleading.

I had initially posted for this position middle of 2013 and was told that the salary band for the position was not in line with what my expectations were. No harm no foul, and the hiring manager was kind enough to offer his assistance in other positions that I was willing to pursue. Later on in the year, the same hiring manager contacted me to communicate that the salary band for the position had been re-evaluated where they could now meet my requirements and he encouraged me to reapply. I did so, and had a face to face interview with the hiring manager. I felt the meeting went well and was told that I had demonstrated the ability to doing the job well, but that the interview process was just beginning and that he would remain in contact with me. After four weeks, I was told that since they didn't have any other local qualified candidates that the position was being opened up to a national search, at which time I asked, "Have the requirements for the job changed?" and I was told "No." and that again I would be kept informed of the process. After another six weeks, I was then told I was no longer being considered because they had found candidates who had worked for competitors doing the same job. Now the outcome I'm okay with, but this ties back to my original question about the job requirements changing, and if working for a competitor was now a requirement for the job, I was not given the opportunity to speak to it as my background included such experience. I walked away soured by my experience simply because 1. The hiring manager had contacted me to apply, and 2. I was misinformed about the job requirements changing and not given a chance to speak to my experience filling that requirement. Although I commend the hiring manager of keeping me informed, I do felt that I was strung along throughout the process.

Assistant to the GM Interview

Assistant to the GM

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Standard.

Interview Details – Submitted a resume through Craigslist with a thorough cover letter and got a call to come in a few days later. Met with their head of HR who was professional but not stuffy. Had a good conversation, but the position just didn't exactly fit my qualifications.

Interview Question – Why should I hire you over someone with more experience?   Answer Question

Disability Benefits Analyst Interview

Disability Benefits Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at The Standard.

Interview Details – Telephone screen by HR followed by an interview with 2 people, one who will be the hiring manager. Interviews take about an hour and include behavioral based questions. For the analyst position, depending on the talent pool, it is helpful to have prior claims experience. If not, a skill set that matches the position is helpful. Multiple attorneys have been hired into the position as a result of the need to understand the constantly changing landscape of claims and litigation.

Interview Question – Give me an example of when you had to escalate a situation. What was the situation, what did you do, how did you decide to escalate it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiations

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Standard

Worked for The Standard? Contribute to the Community!