The Standard Interview Questions

Updated Jan 30, 2015
Updated Jan 30, 2015

2.9

Accounting Specialist Interview

filled out online application and submitted resume, received an email four days later to schedule a phone interview which took about twenty minutes and was told I would hear from them on the next step in two to two and a half weeks. It has been about a week, haven't heard anything back yet.

Interview Questions
    • when was a time you proposed change and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Claims Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Standard.

I was contacted in an appropriate time frame; approx. five to seven days of applying for the role. The human resources screening person -- a recruiter, I think -- was courteous and knowledgeable about the position. I was appropriately referred to the hiring manager who was also prompt in responding and following through with each step.

Interview Questions
    • What is a common misconception people often have about you?   View Answer

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Standard in February 2012.

Sent in my resume and was contacted a few weeks later about coming in for an in-person meeting. No phone screen or anything, but then again I was surprised to be contacted in the first place (was Just qualified). I wasn't given any details about where the interview was going to be held, and I ended up going to the wrong hotel location (terrible signifier of how detail-oriented I actually am...), met with two "HR" professionals, and they talked to me pretty extensively about what the role would entail and how I thought I would fit in. It went okay, but again, I was Just qualified for this role, and with a company and brand as proper as The Standard I wasn't expecting All that much... Never heard back, but about a year later they called me at my new job and asked if I would be interested in coming back in to meet with them. Wasn't interested at that point, but always think about them and think this interview was just fine.

Actuarial Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The Standard in December 2014.

Applied online in September, received call back for 30-minute phone interview two weeks before Thanksgiving. Phone interview focused on behavioral questions and only briefly touched technical matters. Call for final interview at Portland office came Tuesday before Thanksgiving, scheduled for early December. Final interview was 4 hours, encompassing 11 people, before having two people for lunch. Interview questions matched those posted here pretty closely, focusing on teamwork and experience dealing with difficult situations. Surprisingly, almost no technical questions, and only a few on technological/computational experience; no actuarial questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were given a role you did not want, and how you handled the position.   Answer Question

Disability Benefits Analyst Interview

phone interview with HR mainly about resume and background. Then one month later an in person panel interview with general interview questions. Then a final interview and offer. The people interviewing were a mix between managerial staff and analysts. they all seemed largely uninterested in being there.

pay

Mortgage Loan Processor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Standard in September 2014.

Applied for the position that I found on an online job board. It took about 5 weeks to get a call back and the interview was set for a week later. Went in to their Hillsboro office building. It was nice and the atmosphere was quiet, only a few people walking around. I was interviewed by the man who would be my supervisor, another supervisor, and their boss. The interview lasted for about 35 minutes and there were not too many surprises. After the interview, I followed up with 'Thank you' emails to the two supervisors who gave me their cards. Got a call a week later with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. The one question I hadn't prepared for was "Give a ratio of how you like to work. Independent, with your head down. Or being interrupted and talking to other people."   View Answer
    No negotiation.

DC Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Standard.

Phone interview first then panel interview. Behavior type questions - sometimes can be a panel of people (4). Wasn't very difficult but it was stressful like all interviews are. Skills like working with excel spreadsheet is an advantage with this company. Be prepared to show that you can data mine also.

not negotiable

Rating Analyst Interview

Phone interview then a panel interview with two hiring managers. Managers were friendly but stuck to the boiler plate questions. Not very original or personable. When they offer the position they state that they have no room to negotiate earnings, but if you have any hope of maintaining an industry standard wage, you will need to negotiate up front, because you will not get it afterwards.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you could not meet a customer's expectations and how did you handle that situation?   Answer Question

Policy Administration Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Standard in May 2014.

I received an email after submitting my resume for this position. I set up a time for a phone interview and a recruiter called me. At the end of the interview he indicated there would be up to two weeks before another local recruiter contacted me, either by email or telephone.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of when you had to escalate a situation. What was the situation, what did you do, how did you decide to escalate it.   Answer Question

Process Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at The Standard in April 2014.

The process included two phone screens - one with the recruiter and another with the hiring manager. Three candidates were selected to interview on site. The in person interview had two parts. First with a 2-person peer panel that posed situational questions. The second was with the hiring manager which actually felt more like a phone screen than an in-person interview. I think it was due to a large time gap between the phone screen and the in-person interview. In the interview invite I was asked to bring work samples but I wasn't asked for it during the interview. I used the samples when I was asked if there was anything else I wanted to share.

Interview Questions
    • The hiring manager gave me a quiz on terms and the variations of the same type of terms. For example, what's the difference between TAK time and throughput. I believe the questions were less about my knowledge and more about the interviewer's desire to relate to the concept terms. Because the job was in an administrative area the manufacturing terms commonly get murky.   Answer Question