The Standard Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.9

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at The Standard.

Pretty short. Easy questions. Got the standard answer "What I love most about working here is the people."

Fast, easy!

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Standard.

Seemless process. I found the position through Indeed.com, applied online. It was simple. I had a phone interview with staffing and then scheduled interviews with the team and managers.

Straightforward. They exceeded my expectations in every area that I asked for. It was a great process.

Disability Benefits Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Standard in September 2012.

First I had a phone interview with an HR person. This was basically a standard who are you type interview with some specific behavior-type questions thrown in. The HR recruiter was very nice and even coached me a bit in what the hiring managers were looking for. Then I was called back and set up an interview with the two managers that were hiring for that position.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were all straightforward and expected based on my background and experience. They do employ the bevavioral interview process so they are looking for specific examples in your past rather than how you think you would perform.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Standard in February 2012.

Contacted via phone for an in-person interview. The person who sourced me obviously didn't go over my resume very thoroughly. I give props to the interviewer, but their follow-up was non-existent. Big no no, especially when they said, "You'll hear back in a week."

Reinsurance Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Standard in November 2011.

It took about 4 weeks from the first screening phone interview until the final interview with the hiring manager and 2 of what would have been my direct co-workers. There was a 2:1 interview in between those two interviews mentioned prior with the hiring manager and another supervisor from a different department. Everybody was friendly and I enjoyed the experience. It was my first interview process at a company coming out of college. The questioning wasn't too intense but did offer some challenges. If you take a little time to prepare you shouldn't have much to worry about.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with deadlines that will not only affect yourself but your other co-workers?   View Answer

Rating Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

The process took a dayinterviewed at The Standard in September 2010.

I worked for the Standard as a student consultant and then an intern. At the end of my internship, I interviewed for the current role that I occupy. The interview was about 10 questions, all behavioral based. You can get entire lists of commons BI questions on the internet, use this and follow the STAR format in responding to questions and you'll be fine.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult customer and how you resolved the conflict and provided a positive customer service experience?   Answer Question
    At the time of the interview the economy was tumultuous to say the least and I took the path of least resistance. There was not a lot of room for negotiation.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Standard in June 2010.

Phone screen with recruiter, 1 hr phone discussion with hiring manager, day long interview consisting of multiple panel interviews.

Solution Development Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The Standard in March 2010.

First interview with hiring manager, then with the IT manager. Hiring manager asked me about my backgrounds, team based projects, my interests, etc. Then I had interview with the IT manger, mostly described me a situation and asked me how I will handle that. Tried understanding my problem solving ability and how I will deal with learning new stuff and give a good delivery. Then I was interviewed with another developer and HR personal. Finally I had to do another interview with a the IT manager to break up a tie with other interviewee for the position.

Interview Questions
    • How did you use your previous learning experience to learn new stuff ? Give me a example that best describes the scenario.   Answer Question

Disability Benefits Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The Standard in January 2010.

Applied on a Monday, interviewed on a Wednesday, started the next week.

None

Participant Services Rep Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Standard in April 2009.

The overall interview process was rather disorganized. I understand it is an employer driven market but not all people not currently working are desparate. Here is the process. I was called for setting up an interview with one person and had the interview set. The next day I get a call saying someone else will call to set up a new interview. I have the phone interview and I am told I will be brought in for an in person interview. A week later I have the in person interview. I arrive and try to find the person who is interviewing. I am told the person is in another building down the street. I know this is not the case. I decide to wait and the interview person arrives. I have the interview and feel I did fairly well. I send a thank you email in a day and don't hear anything. After 2 weeks from the interview I get an email from someone saying they have decided to not offer a position. That is fine but at this point I was not sure I would have accepted it anyway.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you went above and beyond the expectation from a customer?   Answer Question
    • Not a question but an audio test in a call center environment where you need to listen and have a lot of background noise and questions asked.   View Answer