The Standard Interview Questions

Updated Jan 30, 2015
Updated Jan 30, 2015

2.9

Disability Benefits Examiner Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Standard.

phone interview asking to discuss resume, why I choose them, questions meant to demonstrate skill transfer, salary question, team work question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at The Standard in November 2013.

The actual interview itself was industry standard. The process itself was unorthodox and in some ways misleading.

I had initially posted for this position middle of 2013 and was told that the salary band for the position was not in line with what my expectations were. No harm no foul, and the hiring manager was kind enough to offer his assistance in other positions that I was willing to pursue. Later on in the year, the same hiring manager contacted me to communicate that the salary band for the position had been re-evaluated where they could now meet my requirements and he encouraged me to reapply. I did so, and had a face to face interview with the hiring manager. I felt the meeting went well and was told that I had demonstrated the ability to doing the job well, but that the interview process was just beginning and that he would remain in contact with me. After four weeks, I was told that since they didn't have any other local qualified candidates that the position was being opened up to a national search, at which time I asked, "Have the requirements for the job changed?" and I was told "No." and that again I would be kept informed of the process. After another six weeks, I was then told I was no longer being considered because they had found candidates who had worked for competitors doing the same job. Now the outcome I'm okay with, but this ties back to my original question about the job requirements changing, and if working for a competitor was now a requirement for the job, I was not given the opportunity to speak to it as my background included such experience. I walked away soured by my experience simply because 1. The hiring manager had contacted me to apply, and 2. I was misinformed about the job requirements changing and not given a chance to speak to my experience filling that requirement. Although I commend the hiring manager of keeping me informed, I do felt that I was strung along throughout the process.

Sales Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at The Standard.

Interviewed separately with Sales manager twice and with members of sales team. Part question and answer session, part informal conversation. Questions centered around sales and industry experience with emphasis on my personal sales style and past accomplishments. They painted a very nice portrait of The Standard and it seemed like a nice place to work.

Interview Questions
    • Give us an example of a failure in your career and how you learned from it.   Answer Question

Q/A Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Standard.

I had a phone interview, and was contacted the same day to come in for a final-round interview about 1.5 weeks later. The phone interview was mostly behavioral, with some questions about my technical skills in excel and with general data analysis. The interview in person was actually even more behavioral than I expected, it was really about determining compatibility with the team. I met with two team members, then had a one on one interview, then a final interview with the team leader. The interview process was very straightforward, and everyone was very kind and professional. I declined the offer solely because I received another offer that was better suited for my long-term career goals.

Interview Questions
    • What is your experience with Excel?
      Why do you want this job?
      What does teamwork mean to you?

Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at The Standard.

Pretty short. Easy questions. Got the standard answer "What I love most about working here is the people."

Fast, easy!

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Standard.

Seemless process. I found the position through Indeed.com, applied online. It was simple. I had a phone interview with staffing and then scheduled interviews with the team and managers.

Straightforward. They exceeded my expectations in every area that I asked for. It was a great process.

Disability Benefits Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Standard in September 2012.

First I had a phone interview with an HR person. This was basically a standard who are you type interview with some specific behavior-type questions thrown in. The HR recruiter was very nice and even coached me a bit in what the hiring managers were looking for. Then I was called back and set up an interview with the two managers that were hiring for that position.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were all straightforward and expected based on my background and experience. They do employ the bevavioral interview process so they are looking for specific examples in your past rather than how you think you would perform.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Standard in February 2012.

Contacted via phone for an in-person interview. The person who sourced me obviously didn't go over my resume very thoroughly. I give props to the interviewer, but their follow-up was non-existent. Big no no, especially when they said, "You'll hear back in a week."

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Standard in February 2012.

Sent in my resume and was contacted a few weeks later about coming in for an in-person meeting. No phone screen or anything, but then again I was surprised to be contacted in the first place (was Just qualified). I wasn't given any details about where the interview was going to be held, and I ended up going to the wrong hotel location (terrible signifier of how detail-oriented I actually am...), met with two "HR" professionals, and they talked to me pretty extensively about what the role would entail and how I thought I would fit in. It went okay, but again, I was Just qualified for this role, and with a company and brand as proper as The Standard I wasn't expecting All that much... Never heard back, but about a year later they called me at my new job and asked if I would be interested in coming back in to meet with them. Wasn't interested at that point, but always think about them and think this interview was just fine.

Reinsurance Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Standard in November 2011.

It took about 4 weeks from the first screening phone interview until the final interview with the hiring manager and 2 of what would have been my direct co-workers. There was a 2:1 interview in between those two interviews mentioned prior with the hiring manager and another supervisor from a different department. Everybody was friendly and I enjoyed the experience. It was my first interview process at a company coming out of college. The questioning wasn't too intense but did offer some challenges. If you take a little time to prepare you shouldn't have much to worry about.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with deadlines that will not only affect yourself but your other co-workers?   View Answer