The Standard Interview Questions in Portland, OR

2.8

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Process Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at The Standard in April 2014.

The process included two phone screens - one with the recruiter and another with the hiring manager. Three candidates were selected to interview on site. The in person interview had two parts. First with a 2-person peer panel that posed situational questions. The second was with the hiring manager which actually felt more like a phone screen than an in-person interview. I think it was due to a large time gap between the phone screen and the in-person interview. In the interview invite I was asked to bring work samples but I wasn't asked for it during the interview. I used the samples when I was asked if there was anything else I wanted to share.

Interview Questions
    • The hiring manager gave me a quiz on terms and the variations of the same type of terms. For example, what's the difference between TAK time and throughput. I believe the questions were less about my knowledge and more about the interviewer's desire to relate to the concept terms. Because the job was in an administrative area the manufacturing terms commonly get murky.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at The Standard in November 2013.

The actual interview itself was industry standard. The process itself was unorthodox and in some ways misleading.

I had initially posted for this position middle of 2013 and was told that the salary band for the position was not in line with what my expectations were. No harm no foul, and the hiring manager was kind enough to offer his assistance in other positions that I was willing to pursue. Later on in the year, the same hiring manager contacted me to communicate that the salary band for the position had been re-evaluated where they could now meet my requirements and he encouraged me to reapply. I did so, and had a face to face interview with the hiring manager. I felt the meeting went well and was told that I had demonstrated the ability to doing the job well, but that the interview process was just beginning and that he would remain in contact with me. After four weeks, I was told that since they didn't have any other local qualified candidates that the position was being opened up to a national search, at which time I asked, "Have the requirements for the job changed?" and I was told "No." and that again I would be kept informed of the process. After another six weeks, I was then told I was no longer being considered because they had found candidates who had worked for competitors doing the same job. Now the outcome I'm okay with, but this ties back to my original question about the job requirements changing, and if working for a competitor was now a requirement for the job, I was not given the opportunity to speak to it as my background included such experience. I walked away soured by my experience simply because 1. The hiring manager had contacted me to apply, and 2. I was misinformed about the job requirements changing and not given a chance to speak to my experience filling that requirement. Although I commend the hiring manager of keeping me informed, I do felt that I was strung along throughout the process.

Q/A Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Standard.

I had a phone interview, and was contacted the same day to come in for a final-round interview about 1.5 weeks later. The phone interview was mostly behavioral, with some questions about my technical skills in excel and with general data analysis. The interview in person was actually even more behavioral than I expected, it was really about determining compatibility with the team. I met with two team members, then had a one on one interview, then a final interview with the team leader. The interview process was very straightforward, and everyone was very kind and professional. I declined the offer solely because I received another offer that was better suited for my long-term career goals.

Interview Questions
    • What is your experience with Excel?
      Why do you want this job?
      What does teamwork mean to you?
        Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at The Standard.

Pretty short. Easy questions. Got the standard answer "What I love most about working here is the people."

Fast, easy!

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Standard.

Seemless process. I found the position through Indeed.com, applied online. It was simple. I had a phone interview with staffing and then scheduled interviews with the team and managers.

Straightforward. They exceeded my expectations in every area that I asked for. It was a great process.

Disability Benefits Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Standard in September 2012.

First I had a phone interview with an HR person. This was basically a standard who are you type interview with some specific behavior-type questions thrown in. The HR recruiter was very nice and even coached me a bit in what the hiring managers were looking for. Then I was called back and set up an interview with the two managers that were hiring for that position.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were all straightforward and expected based on my background and experience. They do employ the bevavioral interview process so they are looking for specific examples in your past rather than how you think you would perform.   Answer Question

Reinsurance Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Standard in November 2011.

It took about 4 weeks from the first screening phone interview until the final interview with the hiring manager and 2 of what would have been my direct co-workers. There was a 2:1 interview in between those two interviews mentioned prior with the hiring manager and another supervisor from a different department. Everybody was friendly and I enjoyed the experience. It was my first interview process at a company coming out of college. The questioning wasn't too intense but did offer some challenges. If you take a little time to prepare you shouldn't have much to worry about.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with deadlines that will not only affect yourself but your other co-workers?   View Answer

Rating Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

The process took a dayinterviewed at The Standard in September 2010.

I worked for the Standard as a student consultant and then an intern. At the end of my internship, I interviewed for the current role that I occupy. The interview was about 10 questions, all behavioral based. You can get entire lists of commons BI questions on the internet, use this and follow the STAR format in responding to questions and you'll be fine.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult customer and how you resolved the conflict and provided a positive customer service experience?   Answer Question
    At the time of the interview the economy was tumultuous to say the least and I took the path of least resistance. There was not a lot of room for negotiation.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Standard in June 2010.

Phone screen with recruiter, 1 hr phone discussion with hiring manager, day long interview consisting of multiple panel interviews.

Solution Development Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The Standard in March 2010.

First interview with hiring manager, then with the IT manager. Hiring manager asked me about my backgrounds, team based projects, my interests, etc. Then I had interview with the IT manger, mostly described me a situation and asked me how I will handle that. Tried understanding my problem solving ability and how I will deal with learning new stuff and give a good delivery. Then I was interviewed with another developer and HR personal. Finally I had to do another interview with a the IT manager to break up a tie with other interviewee for the position.

Interview Questions
    • How did you use your previous learning experience to learn new stuff ? Give me a example that best describes the scenario.   Answer Question