The Star-Ledger

Updated Jan 8, 2015

2.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Star-Ledger

Graphic Artist Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Star-Ledger.

Very general overview of experience, responsibilities, hours, etc. Met with various department managers and some staff members. I had to wait longer than I would have liked. I finally called and was able to get a commitment. Which is not the way I usually would do business, but I really needed the job. So I pushed harder than usual and this time it worked.

Easy. No problems

Reporter Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Star-Ledger.

Got a call from my future boss. Asked to give my availability for coming in for an interview and told that I would meet with some editors, then take a writing test. Arrived at the Ledger just as the editors meeting was wrapping up and spent about an hour there.

Interview Questions
    • I was being considered for a beat I had never covered and asked to explain why I thought I could adequately do the job   Answer Question

Advertising Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The Star-Ledger in April 2011.

I applied online for the position, but didn't hear back from HR until maybe a week and a half later. Scheduled interview to come and meet with Ad Sales Manager. Arrived maybe five minutes early and waited for about 20 minutes before being interviewed. Ad Sales Manager was really energetic and we had a great conversation. Was brought back down to HR to complete skills testing. Immediately told after testing whether you passed or not. I passed. Within 24 hours I received the offer by phone from the As Sales Manager.

Interview Questions

Salary was expectedly low, but the benefits were not up to par for me personally.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whippany, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whippany, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Star-Ledger in February 2008.

I started the prcess by going to a job fair offered by the Star Ledger in a hotel to see if I got a good vibe. I was asked to fill out an application even though I had a resume; after reviewing both I interviewed with the dept mgr and then with my direct mgr. Since I passed that round I was told to wait for a call to schedule my next interview w/ the same dept mgr & her peer, another dept mgr. After that they said they had other canidates & if they were interested I would get another call. after a week to 10 days I got a call to schedule my final interview.

Interview Questions
    • How will you drive new business?   View Answer
    • How did you keep on top of your accounts over 60 days in payment.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate 2 weeks vacation the first year like someone else who went through benefits training did.