The Star-Ledger

3 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Reporter Interview

Reporter

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Star-Ledger.

Interview Details – Got a call from my future boss. Asked to give my availability for coming in for an interview and told that I would meet with some editors, then take a writing test. Arrived at the Ledger just as the editors meeting was wrapping up and spent about an hour there.

Interview Question – I was being considered for a beat I had never covered and asked to explain why I thought I could adequately do the job   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Advertising Sales Representative Interview

Newark, NJ

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Star-Ledger in April 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online for the position, but didn't hear back from HR until maybe a week and a half later. Scheduled interview to come and meet with Ad Sales Manager. Arrived maybe five minutes early and waited for about 20 minutes before being interviewed. Ad Sales Manager was really energetic and we had a great conversation. Was brought back down to HR to complete skills testing. Immediately told after testing whether you passed or not. I passed. Within 24 hours I received the offer by phone from the As Sales Manager.

Interview Question – So tell me about your time at [insert company name]   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary was expectedly low, but the benefits were not up to par for me personally.

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
Whippany, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Star-Ledger in February 2008.

Interview Details – I started the prcess by going to a job fair offered by the Star Ledger in a hotel to see if I got a good vibe. I was asked to fill out an application even though I had a resume; after reviewing both I interviewed with the dept mgr and then with my direct mgr. Since I passed that round I was told to wait for a call to schedule my next interview w/ the same dept mgr & her peer, another dept mgr. After that they said they had other canidates & if they were interested I would get another call. after a week to 10 days I got a call to schedule my final interview.

Interview Questions

• How will you drive new business?   View Answer
  • How did you keep on top of your accounts over 60 days in payment.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate 2 weeks vacation the first year like someone else who went through benefits training did.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for The Star-Ledger? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Star-Ledger interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by The Star-Ledger employees and interview candidates.