The Tile Shop, Inc.

Updated Nov 23, 2014

1.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at The Tile Shop, Inc. in October 2014.

I submitted my Resume Tuesday night they called me Wednesday morning and scheduled the interview for Thursday. During the interview they asked me about my prior sales experience explained what the position entailed and offered me the job immediately after the interview. I filled out my new hire paperwork the following morning, the entire process took 3 days.

Designer/Sales Representative Most Ridiculous Interview I Ever Had Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Tile Shop, Inc. in October 2014.

Very incompetent interviewer. Interviewer was not ready at the time and asked me to walk around store which I did for 10 or 15 minutes why she chatted laughingly personal conversation with a young male employee

Question asked, "why should I hire you than the other 10 people I am interviewing" Very rude. My answer was "experience" and went on to cite my very high sales numbers I have documented since I have sold millions of that type of product retail before. I was interrupted in my answer that the experience not valid since they are different. Somehow sales is different with them. She would teach me. Incompetent smiley women. After reading the reviews I am grateful I was not hired since they run ads perpetually and apparently the turnover is ridiculous with obvious employee demands. After leaving I wondered with all my past success in flooring why I was treated so rudely in the interview. My suspicious is age discrimination so I would think twice before interviewing with this company if you are, say, over 55.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we train you over the next 10 interviews I do today?   View Answer

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lombard, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lombard, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Tile Shop, Inc..

Easy. Basically if you have any background in sales... they'll hire you. They want to know are you willing to work hard, pressure people into the sale immediately, not later. It's all about the store's bottom line. If they see the store succeed you'll be rewarded, if not, expect an unhappy manager. The manager was very straight forward that his mood was dictated on the performance of the store.

Interview Questions
    Zero negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Designer/Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Tile Shop, Inc..

Very basic interview... They lie and tell you that you will make a lot of money working there and know it will take you a few months to realize it before you quit. By then 8 more people will already be hired. They are always hiring cause you work for free.

Sales Store Manager In Training Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Tile Shop, Inc. in April 2014.

Online application download resume. Got a call same day at 8:30PM YES AT 8:30 PM. Was asked on phone if I could start Monday. We set up an interview for next day (Wednesday) at 1pm got there early, sat down with manager right away, small talk then he had to go put out a fire.... That's what he said" wait here or look around I have to go put out a customer's fire". He seemed proud that he was needed. Another person came over introduced himself as assistant manager. First thing he said was I have not looked at your application, however he was holding my resume. He then where I been looking for jobs.... More small talk. He had a script with lots of questions and the only question he asked me was "tell me something about yourself that is not on the resume." I almost started to laugh, I could tell the kid was very nerves about conducting an interview.....
    I had ask him question so could keep him calm. I asked about the pay... He said he has a scale that explains it better than he could and said he would show me after I went through training. It's a draw on a commission every 2weeks.
    Then he said the store manager said to "hire you no matter what" and asked if I could start Monday at 8am. He said we 60 to 65 hours per week..... Retail hours.
    That was it I was hired .... I still do not feel confident that it is not just a waste of time for me..... They told me a couple of time there would be a corporate trainer there Monday to train several people at the same....
    SO I think they just needed to fill seats for this corporate trainer to come for the day. I think they would have hired anyone who answered the phone at 8:30PM

Interview Questions
    Draw on Com every 2 weeks. So you end have to pay back money.

Manager/Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livingston, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livingston, NJ

interviewed at The Tile Shop, Inc. in March 2014.

Applied on line got a call back within a week to set up interview. Felt interviewers (manager & assist. manager) needed more experience they could not answer my questions clearly about pay structure when I asked if it was based on net or gross. They told me you would get a loan and have to it pay back if you did not make enough sales but was not clear on the percentage you would receive. I've worked on commission before and that was fine but alway knew the percentage up front.

Interview Questions

Hours and pay. They required you to work six days and both weekend days.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at The Tile Shop, Inc. in February 2014.

I was contacted by phone the next day after I applied on their website. An interview was scheduled for the next week. Both phone conversation and interview were comfortable. Interviewer was relaxed and friendly. Expectations of the job were laid out and the company goals and objectives were explained. I was able to ask questions about the position. We discussed the uniforms, hours of operation and schedules. I felt I had a good idea of expectations and an overall feel for the position.

Interview Questions
    • There were no questions that were out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

I felt that I needed a different schedule than what was offered. I was not available every weekend at the time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Tile Shop, Inc. in November 2013.

Simple; they will hire most anyone. You will end up working with very unqualified people. They do run a background credit check. This is just a really horrible company. Stay away...

no negotations

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at The Tile Shop, Inc..

I filled out an application at the store after learning of the position online. I was called in for an interview a few days later. It was one of the most pleasant interview experiences I've had. There weren't any trick questions or game playing. Just honest questions about my experience and goals. I had to fill out a test type form to see if I knew how to calculate the square footage and linear footage of a room, but I knew that from previous jobs. I received a call a few days later offering me the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakwood Village, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakwood Village, OH

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Tile Shop, Inc..

Interview with the store manager. Employment ad says management trainee but that is a lie to get you in for the interview. Manager tells you that.

Interview Questions
    • They will hire anyone willing to take the stinky hours and low pay.   Answer Question
    A joke...I was desperate for work and regretted the decision to work there EVERY SINGLE DAY that I was there. Save yourself the time and energy and run for your life out the door and do not look back!!!