The University of Alabama

Updated Feb 24, 2015
Updated Feb 24, 2015

2.3

Career Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The University of Alabama.

The office I would be working in set up a phone interview that was about 45 minutes long and behavioral/take me through your resume. Two of the people in the office were on the phone. It was very care free; a reflection of those interviewing me.
    I was then brought to campus for a lunch and multiple mini-interviews with several directors in the department. The lunch was casual but large, and the time with the other interviewers were filled with the same sort of behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Sharing a time I failed came from left field (at least it felt like it at the time).   Answer Question
    It took a while to hear for sure because of the HR process in higher ed. I was not able to negotiate, but wasn't expecting to.

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tuscaloosa, AL

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at The University of Alabama in September 2014.

I am a work-study student assistant. When you qualify for work-study, there is a site that can you look at work-study jobs to apply for, and there is also a mandatory career fair you must attend (the career fair is where I found my job). When searching job listings online, don't bother emailing the person listed - I emailed several people and never got a reply. Instead, the best way is to call the person directly. I was basically interviewed in person at the career fair - they asked about my computer skills and my past experience working with others. Very informal - no stress at all -, and I was emailed a job offer the next day.

Interview Questions
    • What experience do you have in computer repair?
      How do you feel about working with data and data entry?
      Can you respond to to help-desk tickets in a timely manner?

Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tuscaloosa, AL

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The University of Alabama.

Contacted interviewer via email. Interviewer requested my resume and portfolio. After submitting items, interviewer requested an in person interview. Conducted an interview with immediate superior, project manager, and financial manager. Was offered position at the conclusion of the interview. I took the weekend to think over the offer and accepted the following Monday. I assumed the position a week and a half later.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation phase due to the University's GRA program. I was offered the highest GRA compensation.

Resident Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tuscaloosa, AL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The University of Alabama.

After filling out the necessary paperwork, you are required to attend one of several interview sessions all ran by current RAs. These sessions are broke into 4 parts. The first part is the standard panel interview. The next session is used in order to judge your creativity. The last two sections both deal with how you interact with people. This is used in order to judge who has the leadership qualities necessary to perform the RA job effectively.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part is trying to separate yourself during the sections where they are judging how well you work as a team.   Answer Question

Annual Giving Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The University of Alabama.

Had a phone interview, was told to hear back from them in about a week. received and email that day asking to come down for an inperson interview. after flying down, being put up in a hotel, and meals provided for, and a full day interview. was told I would hear back in a week or so ... never heard anything back. even after following up with handwritten thank you notes for those on the search committee, and those who drove me to the airport.

Interview Questions
    • what do you think your biggest challenge would be in this position?   View Answer

Alumni Relations Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tuscaloosa, AL

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at The University of Alabama in March 2012.

Had to demonstrate a plan of action, and the competence to carry it out. Questions were asked about how portions would be implemented

Little negotiation

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL
    Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at The University of Alabama in October 2011.

The process involved an initial conference call with faculty. Then I was required to create a power point presentation on a topic sent to me a week prior to the interview by the department. They flew me in to the campus. I gave the presentation then was required to meet with the vp of academic affairs then the president of the university.

Resident Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The University of Alabama in March 2011.

The process is very nice. Interviewees take you very seriously and are very aware of the job requirements. The time frame is pretty lengthy. It took quite a while to hear back for final selections. I had several friends who did not get a position as an RA and they were not told they were not selected--it was just silence.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation necessary

Operations Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tuscaloosa, AL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The University of Alabama in February 2011.

The hiring process at UA is very easy, if you know someone. I interned with the department for a year before I was interested in full-time employment. I knew the person who was making the hiring decision and received a call for a phone interview. The interview lasted about five minutes and the questions centered around whether or not I would work early mornings. The whole process lasted about one month. The university never does anything quickly.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. In fact, I asked about my salary after I was offered the job and was told my boos "would check on it". He never did and I naively accepted the position anyways. I ended up making a little more than minimum wage.

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tuscaloosa, AL

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at The University of Alabama in October 2010.

I was interviewed by the manager she asked a few questions about previous work experience, and availability.Suggested a start time and I was hired nothing too serious.