The University of Massachusetts Amherst Interview Questions

Updated Jul 26, 2015

2.8

Graduate Assistant -Cultural Enrichment Interview

Anonymous Employee in Amherst, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at The University of Massachusetts Amherst (Amherst, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

I responded to the advert on the university job board, got a call one week after for an interview. I was interviewed by a panel of three, the environment was warm and welcoming. very friendly university administrators. Two member of the panel did the asking why the third person was just an observer. After the main interview, we went on to discuss other non-interview related general issues. which, I think was essential to gauge my personality and views on some contentious issues.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself, how is this position related to what you are doing currently and what you plan to do in the years ahead.   1 Answer

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Interview

While I was interviewed for a writing program teaching position for my first year of grad school I was extremely nervous in the interview because I knew I had no prior teaching experience compounded by the fact that without funding, I would need to pay for school with student loans, which I would need to pay back all by myself. So I just felt a lot of pressure in that interview. Also, it was a group interview, with 3 faculty members, 1 of whom had tough questions (the obvious, how would I treat x student with x problem. I wish I had talked to someone who had taught comp before this interview). I wasn't given a position, and I had no funding from Umass my first year. However, I was able to get a teaching position and experience teaching freshmen comp at a different university my first year. With that experience, I was able to get an interview my 2nd year at Umass with the writing program at UMass. I met with 1 faculty member and we discussed my experience and my response to the essay test - which was a sample student essay, for which I had to give my response to that student.

Interview Questions

• On the 2nd year interview, the tough question she asked: Given that I would be teaching multiple sections, I wouldn't be able to spend an exorbitant amount of time critiquing one student's essay. How would I balance giving effective feedback with the fact that I had 30 student papers to grade. (She said my response to the student was spot-on, but it was long. I remember trying super hard on it to at least show that I knew what the student's problem was.)   1 Answer

Residence Director Interview

Interview

2 30 minute interviews and 1.5 day campus interview. Not really any curveball questions. A current rd host takes candidate around to all of the interviews. Students interview you during lunch

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No room for negotiation

Student Support Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amherst, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at The University of Massachusetts Amherst (Amherst, MA) in September 2014.

Interview

The process was very streamlined. I submitted a resume/cover letter to the person who is now my supervisor, got scheduled for an interview and was in the next week. The interview was a mix of technical and personal questions, but there were no oddballs or anything designed to trick you.

Interview Questions

• If a client brings in a computer that's making a clicking sound and it won't start up, what would your diagnosis be?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at The University of Massachusetts Amherst.

Interview

After submitting a cover letter and resume, I received a call asking me to participate in an interview a few days later. The interview was constructed in a manner that provided the panel with a free 3 hour consultation session, where they milked me for specific ideas - some of which they have since implemented. I should have submitted an invoice.

Interview Questions

• Questions ranged from very broad to very specific. There was a panel of 6 people, one of whom was incredibly confrontational and impolite to the point where others on the panel were uncomfortable.   1 Answer

Compliance Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at The University of Massachusetts Amherst in May 2014.

Interview

The first step in the interview process was done by phone. It was a four person phone interview. Very awkward for the interviewers and myself. I researched all of the people interviewing me only to have one of them not be present and a replacement instead. From start to finish it was not a great experience at all.

Interview Questions

• I am trying to make a career change so trying to highlight the skills I bring to the table was difficult with what seemed to be formulaic questions that made no sense in light of what I had answered in a previous question. While researching I found some issues with their policies that I had questions about and the interviewers seemed to take umbrage with my questions. Mostly this was because they had no answers. I just felt as if they were unprepared. As a UMASS alum this was disheartening.   Answer Question

Hampshire Kitchen Staff Interview

Interview

There really isn't much to it. You apply online and then once your approved you meet at the Dining Commons at a specified time.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Software Developer Intern Interview

Interview

phone interview

Resident Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The University of Massachusetts Amherst.

Interview

-First step: You have to fill out application before the end of the fall semester. Application consists of several short response questions pertaining to the Resident assistant Job. Applicants must also get a recommendation from a current RA. -Applicants are then invited back for interviews. There are two interviews, one group interview, and another individual Interview. During these interviews current residential staff assess applicants. The group interview is mainly looking for ability to work well in teams, contributing, respecting others, collaborating. The individual interview is a series of questions geared to assessing applicants potential in the RA role.

Interview Questions

• Question about response to scenario, if you were a resident Assitant   1 Answer

Negotiation

No Negotiation

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The University of Massachusetts Amherst.

Interview

Spoke with PI about interest in specific research projects.