The University of Massachusetts Amherst

The University of Massachusetts Amherst Interview Questions

Updated Aug 7, 2014
Updated Aug 7, 2014

Sustainability Communications and Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at The University of Massachusetts Amherst.

After submitting a cover letter and resume, I received a call asking me to participate in an interview a few days later. The interview was constructed in a manner that provided the panel with a free 3 hour consultation session, where they milked me for specific ideas - some of which they have since implemented. I should have submitted an invoice.

Interview Questions
    • Questions ranged from very broad to very specific. There was a panel of 6 people, one of whom was incredibly confrontational and impolite to the point where others on the panel were uncomfortable.   View Answer

Compliance Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at The University of Massachusetts Amherst in May 2014.

The first step in the interview process was done by phone. It was a four person phone interview. Very awkward for the interviewers and myself. I researched all of the people interviewing me only to have one of them not be present and a replacement instead. From start to finish it was not a great experience at all.

Interview Questions
    • I am trying to make a career change so trying to highlight the skills I bring to the table was difficult with what seemed to be formulaic questions that made no sense in light of what I had answered in a previous question. While researching I found some issues with their policies that I had questions about and the interviewers seemed to take umbrage with my questions. Mostly this was because they had no answers. I just felt as if they were unprepared. As a UMASS alum this was disheartening.   Answer Question

Hampshire Kitchen Staff Interview

There really isn't much to it. You apply online and then once your approved you meet at the Dining Commons at a specified time.

No negotiation.

Software Developer Intern Interview

phone interview

Resident Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The University of Massachusetts Amherst.

-First step: You have to fill out application before the end of the fall semester. Application consists of several short response questions pertaining to the Resident assistant Job. Applicants must also get a recommendation from a current RA.
    -Applicants are then invited back for interviews. There are two interviews, one group interview, and another individual Interview. During these interviews current residential staff assess applicants.

The group interview is mainly looking for ability to work well in teams, contributing, respecting others, collaborating.

The individual interview is a series of questions geared to assessing applicants potential in the RA role.

Interview Questions
    • Question about response to scenario, if you were a resident Assitant   View Answer
    No Negotiation

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at The University of Massachusetts Amherst.

Spoke with PI about interest in specific research projects.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Just Submit application. No interview

Business Consulting Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Springfield, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The University of Massachusetts Amherst in January 2014.

I had found the opportunity through the career services center at UMass Amherst. A couple of days after sending my resume, I received a response and came in for an interview the next week. the interview was about 30 minutes long and seemed to focus on my personality more than my accomplishments. The next day I was offered the position.

Undergraduate Researcher Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at The University of Massachusetts Amherst.

I am working as an undergraduate for a professor. If you find a good professor then the "hiring" process is very simple. I actually went to this professor to talk about something else and when I mentioned that I was interested in research he offered me the position. Later I expressed that I had workstudy and he said that he could afford to pay me then. The professor is extremely nice and has reasonable expectations. He assigned a post-doctorate to me and she is also very kind, has helped me with my research and with my grants. Overall my work is self guided but everyone in the labs has been very kind and helpful when I am in need.
    Best way to get a job is to personally meet with a professor, they get emails all the time so an in person meeting is more personal and gives the professor a better idea of if you would mesh well with the group or not.

Interview Questions
    • I guess his most unexpected question was what research project I would be interested in participating in, then he listed off some of his Graduate Level Polymer Engineering Projects, I am an Undergraduate Environmental Science Major!   View Answer
    I didn't think I would get paid at first, just do research as a credit project, but then I expressed that I had work study that could be used and that was accepted.

Librarian Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 months - interviewed at The University of Massachusetts Amherst.

Embarrassingly long process and poorly managed. In total the interview process was 8 months, all finalists were subjected to invasive/time consuming background check and they were hesitant to reimburse for travel. I found out the job was filled once the listing was taken down and I emailed.. I fear otherwise they wouldn't have contacted me. A very poor reflection of what seemed to be a great institution.

Interview Questions

Worked for The University of Massachusetts Amherst? Contribute to the Community!