The Washington Post Interview Questions

Updated Aug 6, 2014

3.2

Multiplatform Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at The Washington Post.

Knew an employee, which helped get me noticed. Started with telephone interviews, then progressed to a weeklong tryout with lots of further interviews: Desk chief, department head, managing editor, executive editor.

Interview Questions
    • Not unexpected but the "tell me about a time you did something wrong and how you dealt with it," "tell me about a problem your current job presented and how you solved it," etc.   View Answer
    Negotiation was interesting. The default Post offer at that time was 10 percent over whatever you were making elsewhere, but with a minimum of about $50,000 per year. The company I was leaving offered me a large raise to stay, so I had to go back to the table with that new figure, and they matched the offer plus 10 percent.

Anonymous Title Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at The Washington Post.

Recruiters were great. Had one phone interview which was a basic screen by a recruiter to validate what was on my resume. A few behavioral questions were asked. I was then invited to come in to meet hiring manager. The second interview was behavioral but more technical in nature to examine my skills and how I work when faced with different scenarios. The last interview was with the VP of the department and was a test of cultural fit. A very thorough process.

Web Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Washington Post in February 2014.

Met for an initial phone screening. Screening went very well. No difficult questions. Interviewer touched on a lot of taboo topics, including family and personal life, but it didn't feel prejudiced in any way. No overly difficult questions. More of a conversation than and interview. Set up a skills test, which covered topics not stated in the job description.

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Washington Post.

Very different than traditional interviews. There was a phone screen initially. In my one-on-one, there were many behavioral/situational questions. Next step was an online assessment, followed by meeting again with hiring manager with the same behavioral/situational questions. Some questions are negatively phrased but the purpose was to see how I thought through the problem.

Interview Questions
    • "tell me about a situation when..." or "how did you resolve a large problem in your role"   Answer Question

Compensation Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Washington Post in October 2013.

Applied online. Got an email to setup a phone interview in one week. After phone interview was asked to come in for a face to face. Completed 1.5 hour tasks of evaluating a position description and doing a presentation.

Interview Questions
    • Being pressed for time to complete an evaluation.   View Answer

Front End Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Washington Post.

Initial phone screenings for basic technology skills and job related experience, after that on site interviews with managers of different teams that had openings which fit my skill set. Standard questions got a bit repetitive as they were asked multiple times by different managers but overall a pleasant experience. Following the manager interviews there was a technical interview with a current developer. Followup offer came in about a week.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions that pertain to basic JS and CSS as well as jQuery.   Answer Question

Advertising Coordinator Interview

interviewed at The Washington Post in June 2013.

I was made aware of this position through a friend. I emailed my resume to the recruiter and heard nothing. I then sent it through the website and heard back the next day.

I had a phone interview, which the recruiter was late for. I was invited in to meet with her face to face. Lots of behavioral questions. The recruiter didn't get back to me, rather I had to follow up constantly. I emailed and phoned multiple times. I was told I would be contacted in a certain amount of time, no matter what the decision was. Several months later, no one has called.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you dealt with a difficult coworker.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university – interviewed at The Washington Post.

During the on-campus intern recruiting, the interviewer select interviewees after screening resumes. The interview questions were mostly behavioral. The interviewer was nice buy highly selective.

Web Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at The Washington Post.

A few days after applying, I received an email to set up an phone screening. At the end of the screening (basic interview questions about your background), I was invited to come into the office for an interview and analytical exercise. I was told the process would take about two hours.

The interview itself was purely behavioral based (i.e. tell me about a time you worked on your own, etc). Very difficult. Then I was given an hour and a half to complete the analytics exercise. Basically they just asked me to look at a set of data and draw whatever conclusions I could from it.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to be proactive and what was the result?   Answer Question

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Washington Post.

A highly unprofessional experience. I was contacted via email within 2 weeks after applying online. The HR/Recruiter at Washington Post and I emailed back and forth about a time to speak. We set a time to talk and she said they would call me at a specific time on a specific day; it was confirmed by another email. I never received the call from the HR/recruiter. I tried to call and email her after waiting for her to call. She just never responded.

Interview Questions
    • no questions were asked because they blew off the appointment/phone call   Answer Question