The Washington Post

Relevance Date Difficulty

Multiplatform Editor Interview

Multiplatform Editor
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at The Washington Post.

Interview Details – Knew an employee, which helped get me noticed. Started with telephone interviews, then progressed to a weeklong tryout with lots of further interviews: Desk chief, department head, managing editor, executive editor.

Interview Question – Not unexpected but the "tell me about a time you did something wrong and how you dealt with it," "tell me about a problem your current job presented and how you solved it," etc.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was interesting. The default Post offer at that time was 10 percent over whatever you were making elsewhere, but with a minimum of about $50,000 per year. The company I was leaving offered me a large raise to stay, so I had to go back to the table with that new figure, and they matched the offer plus 10 percent.

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Washington Post in November 2010.

Interview Details – Very well thought out and fair process. Using behavior based interviewing.

Editor Interview

Editor
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at The Washington Post in May 2010.

Interview Details – In general, management always has its eyes out for young rising talent in the industry. The interview process usually involved meeting with several different editors.

Interview Question – How do you keep people reading newspapers?   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Washington Post in February 2014.

Interview Details – Met for an initial phone screening. Screening went very well. No difficult questions. Interviewer touched on a lot of taboo topics, including family and personal life, but it didn't feel prejudiced in any way. No overly difficult questions. More of a conversation than and interview. Set up a skills test, which covered topics not stated in the job description.

Interview Question – What are your salary expectations   View Answer

Anonymous Title Interview

Anonymous Title
Washington, DC

I applied online and interviewed at The Washington Post.

Interview Details – Recruiters were great. Had one phone interview which was a basic screen by a recruiter to validate what was on my resume. A few behavioral questions were asked. I was then invited to come in to meet hiring manager. The second interview was behavioral but more technical in nature to examine my skills and how I work when faced with different scenarios. The last interview was with the VP of the department and was a test of cultural fit. A very thorough process.

Consultant Interview

Consultant

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Washington Post.

Interview Details – Very different than traditional interviews. There was a phone screen initially. In my one-on-one, there were many behavioral/situational questions. Next step was an online assessment, followed by meeting again with hiring manager with the same behavioral/situational questions. Some questions are negatively phrased but the purpose was to see how I thought through the problem.

Interview Question – "tell me about a situation when..." or "how did you resolve a large problem in your role"   Answer Question

Compensation Analyst Interview

Compensation Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Washington Post in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. Got an email to setup a phone interview in one week. After phone interview was asked to come in for a face to face. Completed 1.5 hour tasks of evaluating a position description and doing a presentation.

Interview Question – Being pressed for time to complete an evaluation.   View Answer

Advertising Coordinator Interview

Advertising Coordinator

I interviewed at The Washington Post in June 2013.

Interview Details – I was made aware of this position through a friend. I emailed my resume to the recruiter and heard nothing. I then sent it through the website and heard back the next day.

I had a phone interview, which the recruiter was late for. I was invited in to meet with her face to face. Lots of behavioral questions. The recruiter didn't get back to me, rather I had to follow up constantly. I emailed and phoned multiple times. I was told I would be contacted in a certain amount of time, no matter what the decision was. Several months later, no one has called.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time when you dealt with a difficult coworker.   Answer Question

Front End Web Developer Interview

Front End Web Developer
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Washington Post.

Interview Details – Initial phone screenings for basic technology skills and job related experience, after that on site interviews with managers of different teams that had openings which fit my skill set. Standard questions got a bit repetitive as they were asked multiple times by different managers but overall a pleasant experience. Following the manager interviews there was a technical interview with a current developer. Followup offer came in about a week.

Interview Question – Technical questions that pertain to basic JS and CSS as well as jQuery.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and interviewed at The Washington Post.

Interview Details – During the on-campus intern recruiting, the interviewer select interviewees after screening resumes. The interview questions were mostly behavioral. The interviewer was nice buy highly selective.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you fail.   Answer Question

Worked for The Washington Post? Contribute to the Community!