The Washington Post

Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Project Manager Interview

Technical Project Manager
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Washington Post in October 2011.

Interview Details – A friend passed along my resume for a job opening she heard about for an IT project manager. I was contacted first by an HR representative about a week after I handed over my resume. This first phone interview was more of an initial screening process for basic qualifications. I was asked a series of high level questions about why I was looking for a job, salary range, and a short description of my job history. I was then recommended for the 2nd phone interview with a staff memeber within the IT project management group.

The 2nd interview is also a phone interivew more detailed your project management history and experience on different projects. Questions are based on how you might handle certain project management issues, what type of tools you're used to using, and how you lead a team. The interview lasts about 45 minutes to an hour. I was then recommended for an in-person interview.

The 3rd interview is in-person with 2 members of the project management staff. I am told that these members are normally not the same as who you've also interviewed by phone, but in my case, it was. Although the interview was informal, there is a script of questions that the group must follow and document your responses. This might be because responses are then passed to other team members who weigh in on the hiring decision based on responses alone. The questions are mostly situatutional and behavioral questions. Examples are "What did you do in an instance where you didn't agree with your boss?", "Was there a time when you suggested a different way to handle a project?" "What do you do when you don't get along with a team member?"

I received a phone call a week after I interviewed to inform me that I was not offered the position. While disappointed, I appreciated the timely response and status of the position.

Interview Questions

Worked for The Washington Post? Contribute to the Community!