The Washington Post Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Jun 2, 2015

3.2

Multiplatform Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC).

Interview

Knew an employee, which helped get me noticed. Started with telephone interviews, then progressed to a weeklong tryout with lots of further interviews: Desk chief, department head, managing editor, executive editor.

Interview Questions

• Not unexpected but the "tell me about a time you did something wrong and how you dealt with it," "tell me about a problem your current job presented and how you solved it," etc.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation was interesting. The default Post offer at that time was 10 percent over whatever you were making elsewhere, but with a minimum of about $50,000 per year. The company I was leaving offered me a large raise to stay, so I had to go back to the table with that new figure, and they matched the offer plus 10 percent.

Anonymous Title Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC).

Interview

Recruiters were great. Had one phone interview which was a basic screen by a recruiter to validate what was on my resume. A few behavioral questions were asked. I was then invited to come in to meet hiring manager. The second interview was behavioral but more technical in nature to examine my skills and how I work when faced with different scenarios. The last interview was with the VP of the department and was a test of cultural fit. A very thorough process.

Front End Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC).

Interview

Initial phone screenings for basic technology skills and job related experience, after that on site interviews with managers of different teams that had openings which fit my skill set. Standard questions got a bit repetitive as they were asked multiple times by different managers but overall a pleasant experience. Following the manager interviews there was a technical interview with a current developer. Followup offer came in about a week.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions that pertain to basic JS and CSS as well as jQuery.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC).

Interview

During the on-campus intern recruiting, the interviewer select interviewees after screening resumes. The interview questions were mostly behavioral. The interviewer was nice buy highly selective.

Web Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC).

Interview

A few days after applying, I received an email to set up an phone screening. At the end of the screening (basic interview questions about your background), I was invited to come into the office for an interview and analytical exercise. I was told the process would take about two hours.

The interview itself was purely behavioral based (i.e. tell me about a time you worked on your own, etc). Very difficult. Then I was given an hour and a half to complete the analytics exercise. Basically they just asked me to look at a set of data and draw whatever conclusions I could from it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to be proactive and what was the result?   Answer Question

Web Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC) in September 2012.

Interview

I first had a telephone interview asking about questions on my resume. Then I was asked to interview with HR and then had a simulation using excel. I was brought in to have another interview with a consultant and finally saw the manager of whom I would be working with.

Interview Questions

• The interview used questions that often resulted from Situation Action and Result and the only difficulty would be varying examples (Ie name your biggest success in a work experience)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC) in November 2011.

Interview

Interaction with the company was fairly slow; I applied in early October and got a response after a weeks week followed by an invitation for an onsite about a month later(with no communication in between). I chose to interview during the holiday season because the company seemed rushed and the whole process seemed poorly assembled. The interviewers seemed ill prepared and it felt like the process was done on the spot. I'm a little salty that it felt like a thrown together interview when I was willing to travel there during the holiday season. After everything the final response was a generic one that resembled one I've received from other companies who chose not to pursue me at all(no phone interview or anything); I guess gone are the days of professionalism, courtesy, and respect. Good luck to other candidates but I wouldn't apply here again.

Interview Questions

• How would you count the appearances numbers of in a list   1 Answer
    • Something about after you've aggregated all the data, per member, in a dataset how would you prevent one member in a dataset with a lot of records from dominating the clustering algorithm vs members with only a few records.   1 Answer

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC) in November 2011.

Interview

Interview process took a week. Hired right away as a contractor and became full time upon completion of contract. The actual interview was long and lengthy. They asked a lot of behavioral questions and background stories. Probably the longest interview to date.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations made. It was a contract position which eventually became permanent once an internal full-time position became available.

Advertising Ad Processor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC) in October 2011.

Interview

Interviewed by individuals that really knew the business and what they were looking for in an ideal candidate. Managers were very knowledgable and had a clear direction of the team they were trying to build. Was interviewed by the Operations Manager as well as the Production Manager of the department.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a problem file you had to evaluate and the process you went through to correct an issue.   Answer Question

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC) in October 2011.

Interview

A friend passed along my resume for a job opening she heard about for an IT project manager. I was contacted first by an HR representative about a week after I handed over my resume. This first phone interview was more of an initial screening process for basic qualifications. I was asked a series of high level questions about why I was looking for a job, salary range, and a short description of my job history. I was then recommended for the 2nd phone interview with a staff memeber within the IT project management group.

The 2nd interview is also a phone interivew more detailed your project management history and experience on different projects. Questions are based on how you might handle certain project management issues, what type of tools you're used to using, and how you lead a team. The interview lasts about 45 minutes to an hour. I was then recommended for an in-person interview.

The 3rd interview is in-person with 2 members of the project management staff. I am told that these members are normally not the same as who you've also interviewed by phone, but in my case, it was. Although the interview was informal, there is a script of questions that the group must follow and document your responses. This might be because responses are then passed to other team members who weigh in on the hiring decision based on responses alone. The questions are mostly situatutional and behavioral questions. Examples are "What did you do in an instance where you didn't agree with your boss?", "Was there a time when you suggested a different way to handle a project?" "What do you do when you don't get along with a team member?"

I received a phone call a week after I interviewed to inform me that I was not offered the position. While disappointed, I appreciated the timely response and status of the position.

Interview Questions

• Was there a time when you disagreed with a decision your boss made?   Answer Question
    • Explain a time when you did not get along with team members.   Answer Question