The World Bank Interview Questions

Updated Mar 12, 2015
Updated Mar 12, 2015

3.1

Senior Professional Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The World Bank.

Very long and odd process with very little communication in between steps. It took three or four steps - from applying online to short-listed to initial interview to final interview. I went from applying for the position to being flow into DC for a final interview in four months with very little communication. I was told at my last interview hundreds had applied and they were down to the last three or four with a decision coming in a week. I never heard from them again. I was disappointed that they did not see fit to call me and inform me I didn't get the job offer. I spend two days flying into DC and back. The job was a senior level professional position and I would think that deserved a phone call or at least an email. The last interview at the DC office was odd as well. I showed up to the designated office fifteen minutes early and nobody was there. The conference room listed on my paperwork was dark- no lights. It wasn't until five minutes after the start time did anyone show up and they mentioned it would be in a few minutes. Twenty-five minutes later they finally showed up. The interview lasted a little over an hour and half. Then they got up and said thanks for coming and left. They didn't ask me if I had any questions or help me find my way out. I figured then I wasn't getting the position but was surprised they left me to wander the halls to find my way out. Maybe they had already made their decision by the time I got to my final interview and it was just a formality. Note sure why they would go through the time and expense to fly me into DC and then never contact me again. Overall a very disappointing experience. I expected a little more professionalism from the World Bank.

Interview Questions
    • Two or three questions about diversity.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank in February 2015.

I saw an online posting and sent in my resume with a cover letter. About a week and a half later, somebody from the specific department contacted me to ask me to perform a timed skills assessment. A week after that, I was asked to come in for an interview with a panel. It was about an hour. I heard nothing for over two weeks after that, and then they called to offer me a position. It did feel slow at times, but everybody I interacted with at the interview was very warm and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Almost all the questions were focused on skills. "When was a time you did X" or "How familiar are you with Y and what projects have you worked on that required Y".   Answer Question

Short Term Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at The World Bank.

The interview process included one phone interview, two in-person interviews, and an offer received within 2 weeks. There was some negotiation involved in salary but eventually a desirable offer was made and accepted.

Interview Questions
    Some back and forth negotiation on salary and start date.

Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at The World Bank.

interviewers were very nice, did not ask hard questions, just be yourself, dress appropriately, formal is always advisable. arrive early and on time, polities, respectful, smile and be happy always, follow up with a thank you note.

Young Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank in December 2014.

The first round included an online application including a personal essay. Letters if recommendation were requested for the second round. The final round was an interview at Washington dc. It was a day long interview consisting of a technal panel interview and a team case study.

Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at The World Bank.

There were interviews by three senior managers
    they asked questions about my prior experience, my aspirations, how I would go about delivering on work programme
    The interviews were not difficult and not particularly challenging

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The World Bank in August 2014.

The interview was with a panel of 3. Two economists, one research analyst. They asked mainly about my CV and then some behavioral questions. The people were really friendly. They don't pressure you nor give you hard time. Prepare to answer common questions like "Tell me about you", "tell one difficulty you met and how you solved it". Also, prepare to brief any paper you have on your CV. Mine interview wasn't technical probably because I worked as an research assistant before. Definitely prepare more examples from your similar working experience cause they are going to be really interested in it.

Interview Questions
    • If 5 people knock on your door and ask you to do things for them, all urgent, what would you do? If you received multiple tasks and you knew you couldn't finish all of them on time, what would you do?   Answer Question

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview

I was introduced to the office manager informally by a friend, and set up an informational interview with her, without knowing any specific openings. After talking to me about half an hour about my general backgrounds and skills, she seemed to like me, and then said, one of our teams was looking for someone to fill an administrative position. It is probably not what you are looking for, since you have a master's degree. But are you willing to try? I said, yes!! I am willing to take any job, to get my foot in the door.

Interview Questions
    • "What do you want to do in the future"..   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank in June 2014.

90 Minute interview, in person after hearing a presentation I held in a large meeting the day before. Did not hear anything from them in the following weeks although they said they were going to contact me within 2 weeks. After several follow-up calls and emails, they said they found someone else who fit the job more closely (2 months later).

Interview Questions
    • Could you describe how you would measure and quantify fertilizer usage in a small village in Chile?   Answer Question

Long Hiring Process Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank.

The World Bank gets a lot of international applications. The hiring manager will first get a long list from HR, then will come down to a short list (6-10 candidates). These candidates will have to fill in a written test. If you succeed you'll be selected for an interview panel.

Interview Questions
    • No really unexpected questions. This is not Google. So get prepared, know your business, know your sector, remember this is an international environment, You could have in your panel people from Asia, Europe, the US... With different body languages, all talking global english. So be really open to diversity.   Answer Question
    No negociation phase.