The World Bank Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

2.9

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at The World Bank.

Interview

It is recommended tha you know someone already working for the company, and then network a lot with different type of people because you will get the job through an appointment process

Interview Questions

• What are my career interest, and what are my plans for the future. I have to talk a lot about my work experience and how it will help me at the Bank.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC).

Interview

Casual, asked about experience in the industry, asked to know more about international experience, technical/computer skills, ability to write concisely and in short amounts of time, understanding of the organizations mission and its structure, etc. We met in the lobby and then went to have a coffee while we discussed my resume and experience. The interview process took two hours, but could very well have only taken 15-30 minutes. It's important to be laid back, casual, and be able to establish a rapport with the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Explain what you found most difficult in your previous position. What is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

Quick and Efficient Interview Process. Once you attract the hiring managers attention the whole hiring process takes place surprisingly fast (or at least this was my experience). The interview was centered around a quantitative analysis that I conducted as part of the application process (it was not necessary but was encouraged).

Interview Questions

• Knowledge and previous work experience related to the quantitative methods necessary for the job (as described in the TOR)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

I saw an online posting and sent in my resume with a cover letter. About a week and a half later, somebody from the specific department contacted me to ask me to perform a timed skills assessment. A week after that, I was asked to come in for an interview with a panel. It was about an hour. I heard nothing for over two weeks after that, and then they called to offer me a position. It did feel slow at times, but everybody I interacted with at the interview was very warm and friendly.

Interview Questions

• Almost all the questions were focused on skills. "When was a time you did X" or "How familiar are you with Y and what projects have you worked on that required Y".   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at The World Bank.

Interview

The interview process included one phone interview, two in-person interviews, and an offer received within 2 weeks. There was some negotiation involved in salary but eventually a desirable offer was made and accepted.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Some back and forth negotiation on salary and start date.

Economist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied for the job online and after slightly more than a monthgot an email informing me that I had been shortlisted and asking to schedule a phone interview. I had the phone interview a week after this. It was sort of a screening interview following which I was invited for a panel interview at the World Bank Interview. I heard back from them about 3 weeks after this and was offered the job, which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Specific questions relating to the particular position I was applying for. Also, a walk through the CV and a couple of behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The World Bank (New York, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

To its credit and because so many of its employees are scattered around the world, the Bank does interview and hire people via Skype--which is what happened in my case. The process itself meant interfacing with the project managers who are responsible for hiring their consultants. Unfortunately, this means that personal connections are often the most important factor in determining whether one gets hired. From there, the interview questions center around the extent to which one has experience in one's area. In my case, my questions centered on my experience in creating communications programs, my experience in international affairs, and my knowledge of the Bank itself.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked on a project with a global audience?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in December 2014.

Interview

The whole experience was very informal. I was late because I got lost in the maze that is HQ, but they didn't mind. There were about 5 people sitting in my interview, and each took turns asking a variety of questions related to my work process, my expertise in the subject area, and suggestions on how I might run the operation differently.

IT Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at The World Bank in November 2014.

Interview

Lengthy. Had a Skype interview that lasted 90 minutes. Discussed about background, skills, and how to react in professional situations related to the function. Focus was on specific areas of interest (IT outsourcing, data protection, information security). Not hard but detailed.

Interview Questions

• Protection and controls monitoring of outsourced IT services.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview started with a quick overview of the unit and the role. Then a few questions for how my work experience (tech), education (econ/finance), and travels connect to the role/ the World Bank. After 30 minutes, the interview concluded with a request for some verification documents of things listed in my resume, and a take home assignment to sample my work. The interview was informal and rather friendly.

Interview Questions

• What is your familiarity/ comfortability with using data analysis tools?   1 Answer
    • How would you measure the state of education in a country x that is in the middle of a conflict, where valid data is hard to come by?   1 Answer