The World Bank

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
84 candidate interviews

Interviewed at The World Bank

Interview Details – I was introduced to the office manager informally by a friend, and set up an informational interview with her, without knowing any specific openings. After talking to me about half an hour about my general backgrounds and skills, she seemed to like me, and then said, one of our teams was looking for someone to fill an administrative position. It is probably not what you are looking for, since you have a master's degree. But are you willing to try? I said, yes!! I am willing to take any job, to get my foot in the door.

Interview Question – "What do you want to do in the future"..   View Answer

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The World Bank in October 2013.

Interview Details – I got the job information from my Professor, applied and then was asked for codes and writing sample, received phone interview after 10 days, the questions were asked in the phone interview including: Explain what is cluster analysis? What's your experience with STATA and LaTex? What is you biggest weakness for this position?

Interview Question – What is you biggest weakness for this position?   Answer Question

Senior Specialist Interview

Senior Specialist
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 9 months - interviewed at The World Bank in June 2013.

Interview Details – Four months after applying I received an email mentioning I was shortlisted. In that same communication they asked me for my availability for the next month. Two weeks later they scheduled the interview at their HQ.
The interview consisted of a practical test, very specific to the position I was applying to. It lasted the whole morning. at a later point I met with a panel, who was fairly amicable and asked relevant questions.

My issue with the process is that it is VERY slow and HR does a very poor job of communicating with the candidates. In the end the process was canceled due to lack of funds.

Interview Question – Very specific questions to the job the WB does in the area. Study beforehand.   Answer Question

Long Hiring Process Interview

Long Hiring Process
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 9 months - interviewed at The World Bank.

Interview Details – The World Bank gets a lot of international applications. The hiring manager will first get a long list from HR, then will come down to a short list (6-10 candidates). These candidates will have to fill in a written test. If you succeed you'll be selected for an interview panel.

Interview Question – No really unexpected questions. This is not Google. So get prepared, know your business, know your sector, remember this is an international environment, You could have in your panel people from Asia, Europe, the US... With different body languages, all talking global english. So be really open to diversity.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negociation phase.

Junior Professional Associate Interview

Junior Professional Associate
Madrid (Spain)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The World Bank in June 2012.

Interview Details – Personal interview with manager.

Interview Question – Interview was not very technical. Open ended questions about public policy and current economic events. My having technical skills was a maintained hypothesis.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The World Bank in December 2013.

Interview Details – The interviewers we not prepared what to ask. And they were asking each other to ask the next questions and laughing to each other. This looks like a joke for them and don't realize that's a future for the candidate.

Program Officer Interview

Program Officer
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at The World Bank in September 2012.

Interview Details – It took a few months after I send my resume to get an interview. I first had a phone interview, then a second, in person, with the whole team. The interviews where well run, professional and gave me a clear sense of the expectations and the team. There was a good degree of sincere warnings about the position and the program, and the risks involved.

Interview Question – I did not expect questions on my personal network.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate much. I did not know they could have offered more, and should have offered me some compensation/expenses coverage for the relocation to DC.

Economist Interview

Economist

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at The World Bank.

Interview Details – Panel of 3 or 4 people, ask u questions on broad topics ( can be anything), so prepare to have broad knowledge and try to use commnsense

Interview Question – none really.. Standard stuff   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very little bargaining power. HR obfuscates, obstructs and generally tries to get u on the cheap... Another offer from another place may help you better

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The World Bank.

Interview Details – 3 weeks from applying to getting an interview

Interview Question – They were all as expected. Sometimes abrasive but nothing too harsh.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The World Bank.

Interview Details – short interview

Interview Question – questions were professional ones and quite straight forward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not really

Interviews for Top Jobs at The World Bank

Worked for The World Bank? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The World Bank interview questions and advice. All 84 interview reviews posted anonymously by The World Bank employees and interview candidates.