The World Bank

N/A

None - contracts are fixed for entry-level STCs

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The World Bank in February 2014.

Applied through the consulting website and interviewed within two weeks of submitting my application.The questions were around a case study that was required prior to interviewing. None of the questions were unexpected or difficult. I moved to the second interview which was more about the real project, my experience in the field and value proposition, and some problem solving questions.

Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank.

Apply online, called for interviews after shortlisted

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at The World Bank in December 2013.

The interviewers we not prepared what to ask. And they were asking each other to ask the next questions and laughing to each other. This looks like a joke for them and don't realize that's a future for the candidate.

Associate Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The World Bank.

The hiring process differs across all departments. One should be prepared to deal with multiple interviewers with differing backgrounds. In my case, I had to undergo seven rounds of interviews in a single day. In the end, I got the job!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what is going on in global financial markets this afternoon and what would you do to rectify your position as a portfolio manager if you had the following options: [which I do not remember given the passage of time].   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at The World Bank in November 2013.

For a research analyst position, usually the interview panel includes about four to five people. Usually the manager, who the research analyst won't be in the second round of interviews (after screening). Questions cover the ‘responsibilities“ part of the terms of reference, and should be very professional. Usually the person whose profile fits the best will get most "yay"s. However, courtesy is very very important. Please remember to send a thank you letter.

Interview Questions
    • technical question relevant to the requirement of the job; team work (how did you resolve conflicts with your team members)   View Answer
    I was an interviewer

Intern Interview

Hour long interview conducted over the phone with two WB representatives. Both were extremely professional and responsive. Emphasis was placed on one's ability to think and make educated arguments. Overall, very positive experience.

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The World Bank in October 2013.

I got the job information from my Professor, applied and then was asked for codes and writing sample, received phone interview after 10 days, the questions were asked in the phone interview including: Explain what is cluster analysis? What's your experience with STATA and LaTex? What is you biggest weakness for this position?

Business Management Officer (Dupont Office) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank.

I was contacted two months after I submitted my application online. The whole process was rather strange. I was asked to come in for an interview 2 days after I got the email from the secretary but I couldn't make it with such short notice. We set up a meeting and then it got cancelled for another week. I went back and looked at the job description and saw something about an "internal candidate" already being identified but that it was still a competitive position. I shouldn't have wasted my time. When I got to the building, there was no one to walk me to the interview room. It was strange that a visitor had to wander around on their own. Seemed unprofessional. While I waited, the team gathered outside of the room while waiting for some people to leave. I got up and tried to make eye contact so that I can introduce myself but no one looked up. When we all got in the room, it was an awkward moment of silence. It was a panel of 5 people. Long story short, I guess I did well enough for them to invite me to meet with the director the following week. The same thing happened when I got to the building; I was walking around on my own as a visitor. I passed by the director's secretary who was not very nice. When I sat down and interviewed with the director, she seemed standoffish. She hardly cracked a smile; had a poker face. She also questioned my job duration. I am a young person in their 30's. She seemed to want to make me feel bad for having a few jobs here and there. She had been at the World Bank for 20 years straight. While I gave her my answers, she wrote down her reviews and tried to cover them as if I was going to read upside down. LOL. She didn't seem to listen well either. She asked me for 2 examples of something and then said she was waiting for my 3rd example. She also tried to incorrectly correct me on a financial answer and I just let it go by saying I couldn't hear her well. I was so glad it was over. I don't think she took the time to review my resume prior to our meeting. I also had a feeling that they already had someone internally and were only interviewing to meet HR's compliance. I feel bad for other candidates who thought they even had a chance. It was the weirdest interview ever.

Extended Term Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The World Bank.

Was shortlisted for a consultant position. Could choose phone, skype or in-person interview - I had the latter, with a three-member panel. Very pleasant experience, lasted less than an hour, lots of behavioral type questions, and the usual questions regarding past experience and interests.