The World Bank

Updated Jan 9, 2015
Updated Jan 9, 2015

3.1

Economist Consultant Interview

Three rounds of interview. First in person, then another round in person, and then over the phone.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate. I was not used to that. Maybe I should have though.

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The World Bank.

Asked about my educational background and professional experience directly related to the project. Other questions are technical skills related to the project and knowledge of the field. Some behavioral questions relating to the characteristics of the department were also asked.

N/A

None - contracts are fixed for entry-level STCs

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The World Bank in February 2014.

Applied through the consulting website and interviewed within two weeks of submitting my application.The questions were around a case study that was required prior to interviewing. None of the questions were unexpected or difficult. I moved to the second interview which was more about the real project, my experience in the field and value proposition, and some problem solving questions.

Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank.

Apply online, called for interviews after shortlisted

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at The World Bank in December 2013.

The interviewers we not prepared what to ask. And they were asking each other to ask the next questions and laughing to each other. This looks like a joke for them and don't realize that's a future for the candidate.

Associate Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The World Bank.

The hiring process differs across all departments. One should be prepared to deal with multiple interviewers with differing backgrounds. In my case, I had to undergo seven rounds of interviews in a single day. In the end, I got the job!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what is going on in global financial markets this afternoon and what would you do to rectify your position as a portfolio manager if you had the following options: [which I do not remember given the passage of time].   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at The World Bank in November 2013.

For a research analyst position, usually the interview panel includes about four to five people. Usually the manager, who the research analyst won't be in the second round of interviews (after screening). Questions cover the ‘responsibilities“ part of the terms of reference, and should be very professional. Usually the person whose profile fits the best will get most "yay"s. However, courtesy is very very important. Please remember to send a thank you letter.

Interview Questions
    • technical question relevant to the requirement of the job; team work (how did you resolve conflicts with your team members)   View Answer
    I was an interviewer

Intern Interview

Hour long interview conducted over the phone with two WB representatives. Both were extremely professional and responsive. Emphasis was placed on one's ability to think and make educated arguments. Overall, very positive experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The World Bank in October 2013.

I got the job information from my Professor, applied and then was asked for codes and writing sample, received phone interview after 10 days, the questions were asked in the phone interview including: Explain what is cluster analysis? What's your experience with STATA and LaTex? What is you biggest weakness for this position?