The World Bank Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2014
88 interviews

3.1

Program Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at The World Bank.

Apply online, called for interviews after shortlisted

Extended Term Temporary Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The World Bank in April 2012.

Applied through my school career center - The process took 2 weeks - One phone interview

There was no negotiation

Young Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I interviewed online. The process took a year or more - interviewed at The World Bank in January 2009.

I was among the 800 selected over 10,000 applicants to provide additional info. After that, I was among the 196 who got interviewed (they paid for the travel) in Jan.. Interview took the whole day with one hour lunch break(no lunch or meals provided). Mostly with different groups of people for open discussion. Worked on the computer for a little while. After two months, I got notified that I was not selected. In Sep. I got a call from them asking me to be a contractor, I rejected the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Interview questions were mostly related to being an economist. It did not match my background.   Answer Question

Associate Analyst Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The World Bank.

The hiring process differs across all departments. One should be prepared to deal with multiple interviewers with differing backgrounds. In my case, I had to undergo seven rounds of interviews in a single day. In the end, I got the job!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what is going on in global financial markets this afternoon and what would you do to rectify your position as a portfolio manager if you had the following options: [which I do not remember given the passage of time].   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Hour long interview conducted over the phone with two WB representatives. Both were extremely professional and responsive. Emphasis was placed on one's ability to think and make educated arguments. Overall, very positive experience.

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The World Bank in June 2012.

Interview included many functional questions and understanding of emerging markets

Business Management Officer (Dupont Office) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at The World Bank.

I was contacted two months after I submitted my application online. The whole process was rather strange. I was asked to come in for an interview 2 days after I got the email from the secretary but I couldn't make it with such short notice. We set up a meeting and then it got cancelled for another week. I went back and looked at the job description and saw something about an "internal candidate" already being identified but that it was still a competitive position. I shouldn't have wasted my time. When I got to the building, there was no one to walk me to the interview room. It was strange that a visitor had to wander around on their own. Seemed unprofessional. While I waited, the team gathered outside of the room while waiting for some people to leave. I got up and tried to make eye contact so that I can introduce myself but no one looked up. When we all got in the room, it was an awkward moment of silence. It was a panel of 5 people. Long story short, I guess I did well enough for them to invite me to meet with the director the following week. The same thing happened when I got to the building; I was walking around on my own as a visitor. I passed by the director's secretary who was not very nice. When I sat down and interviewed with the director, she seemed standoffish. She hardly cracked a smile; had a poker face. She also questioned my job duration. I am a young person in their 30's. She seemed to want to make me feel bad for having a few jobs here and there. She had been at the World Bank for 20 years straight. While I gave her my answers, she wrote down her reviews and tried to cover them as if I was going to read upside down. LOL. She didn't seem to listen well either. She asked me for 2 examples of something and then said she was waiting for my 3rd example. She also tried to incorrectly correct me on a financial answer and I just let it go by saying I couldn't hear her well. I was so glad it was over. I don't think she took the time to review my resume prior to our meeting. I also had a feeling that they already had someone internally and were only interviewing to meet HR's compliance. I feel bad for other candidates who thought they even had a chance. It was the weirdest interview ever.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at The World Bank in June 2010.

The first round is a 3-hour take home written test directly related with the daily work of the job, second round is an interview with two core team members; third round is an interview with the higher manager of the team.

Interview Questions
    • The written test is kind of challenging, especially for people not familiar with the topic and the writing characteristics of the Bank   Answer Question

Extended Term Consultant Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at The World Bank.

Was shortlisted for a consultant position. Could choose phone, skype or in-person interview - I had the latter, with a three-member panel. Very pleasant experience, lasted less than an hour, lots of behavioral type questions, and the usual questions regarding past experience and interests.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The World Bank in October 2012.

Occasionally, the World Bank conducts testing before interviews. This is great if you think your talents fit the job moreso than your resume. I got a chance to prove myself before being interviewed.

Be patient with them during the background check and offer process. It's a big bureaucracy, and this part takes time.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to speak any foreign language you list on your resume. World Bankers are largely polyglot--there will be someone there who can put you on the spot and engage you in 2 or 3 languages.   Answer Question