The World Bank

Relevance Date Difficulty

Economist Interview

Economist
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The World Bank in June 2012.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview where we discussed individual economic terms to make sure I understood the basic concepts. Group interview consisted of a case study and explaining growth in the GDP of a particular South American country.

Interview Question – What's the difference between stock and flow?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The World Bank in February 2008.

Interview Details – Phone, skype, written assessment, 1-1 interview

Interview Question – How do you handle inter-personal conflict in a multi-cultural environment?   Answer Question

NOC Technician Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at The World Bank in March 2012.

Interview Details – Recriteer contacted me and then had phone interview finally i went to the office for face to face interview

Extended Term Consultant Interview

Extended Term Consultant
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The World Bank in June 2011.

Interview Details – A panel interview. Asked me the usual technical questions. One interviewer kept averting his eyes and repeated the same questions three times...

Interview Question – Are you a fast learner?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not really... Was told I should be grateful to get offer. There were hundreds lining up to accept the job.

Knowledge Management Consultant Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at The World Bank in October 2011.

Interview Details – This was a position forwarded to me by a WB employee, who also sent my resume to them before. After few days, they asked me to send an email outlining my relevant experience. The week after I met with the team in a small meeting room at their floor and the team included three people. The position was heavy on the event management so questions were geared toward that goal.

Interview Questions

• If you are going to organize a meeting or panel with a speaker, who is not there physically, what kind of software or programs would you use? What kind of equipment would you need? Give examples.   View Answer
  • Let's say you have a team member and you are working on the conference agenda. You are going to report to your supervisor about your research, but your team failed to finish her work on time and did not show up next morning in the meeting with your supervisor. what would you do?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Intern Interview

Intern
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The World Bank in January 2010.

Interview Details – I learned about the position from the career center at the University. The job offer was not posted on the website of the World Bank and I had to send an email directly to my future supervisors. Soon, I received a phone call to schedule an interview. I had a quick 20 minutes interview with 2 supervisors and 2-3 weeks later I was offer the position.

Interview Question – No difficult questions at all.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at The World Bank in September 2011.

Interview Details – This was a very long interview process. I contacted one department through an employee contact of mine and was given the first 1:1 interview. Then months later the second interview arrived and again it took a month before the last panel interview was held. After that, it took only a few days before I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – In contrast to what I had heard from other STCs, there was not much negotiation over the contract.

Analyst Interview

Washington, DC

The process took 2 months - interviewed at The World Bank in May 2010.

Interview Details – 3 steps, Phone, Video interviews with group, panel, managers, supervisor. they dig very deep in knowledge with experience, expertise proof, request sample of works done. Background checks may take very long time before been cleared.

Interview Question – High availability Datacenters   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Some entry benefits which were not allocated. But the process is pretty tight and you have few room for negociation

Senior Economist Interview

Senior Economist
Washington, DC

The process took a day - interviewed at The World Bank in June 2010.

Interview Details – Standard panel of 6 people asking structured questions. A walk through of the CV, why do you want this job? How can you contribute? What would do if...? etc etc. There are very strict hiring targets for women and people from developing countries, so the interview, your skills, your education, are only marginally useful.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at the World Bank?   View Answer
  • What do you do when there is a conflict within a team?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No. HR decide the salary and that's it.

Senior Human Resources Officer Interview

Washington, DC

The process took 2 days - interviewed at The World Bank in September 2010.

Interview Details – Initial communication with the organization was positive, had a telephone interview (with two interviewers) and was shortlisted to come to DC. The planning of the interview was really slow and only confirmed a couple days prior when I had to fly out (intercontinental) to DC. Despite the last minute planning, everything was well planned out when I arrived. Had a couple of good sessions - although they just asked questions and didn't really leave a lot of time for me to ask any. They just all seemed to want to fill the one hour and then go. I even think that my background was confused with someone else because I was told that I had written in my application letter that...and I never had. I looked down and he had someone else's resume lying in front of him. I didn't want to argue - he was a Director but it didn't make the best impression. Valid questions regarding my experience although most of the time they seemed to make me feel like "you're not qualified for this so prove to me that you are - change my mind."

All in all, however, generally positive experience and a good group of people.

Interview Questions

• Questions related to effectively working in bureaucratic organizations   Answer Question
  • How would you define organizational development to someone who knew nothing about it? What is it?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at The World Bank