The World Bank

Very Easy Interview

Intern Interview

Intern
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The World Bank in January 2010.

Interview Details – I learned about the position from the career center at the University. The job offer was not posted on the website of the World Bank and I had to send an email directly to my future supervisors. Soon, I received a phone call to schedule an interview. I had a quick 20 minutes interview with 2 supervisors and 2-3 weeks later I was offer the position.

Interview Question – No difficult questions at all.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at The World Bank in September 2011.

Interview Details – This was a very long interview process. I contacted one department through an employee contact of mine and was given the first 1:1 interview. Then months later the second interview arrived and again it took a month before the last panel interview was held. After that, it took only a few days before I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – In contrast to what I had heard from other STCs, there was not much negotiation over the contract.

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Washington, DC

The process took 2 months - interviewed at The World Bank in May 2010.

Interview Details – 3 steps, Phone, Video interviews with group, panel, managers, supervisor. they dig very deep in knowledge with experience, expertise proof, request sample of works done. Background checks may take very long time before been cleared.

Interview Question – High availability Datacenters   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Some entry benefits which were not allocated. But the process is pretty tight and you have few room for negociation

Senior Economist Interview

Senior Economist
Washington, DC

The process took a day - interviewed at The World Bank in June 2010.

Interview Details – Standard panel of 6 people asking structured questions. A walk through of the CV, why do you want this job? How can you contribute? What would do if...? etc etc. There are very strict hiring targets for women and people from developing countries, so the interview, your skills, your education, are only marginally useful.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at the World Bank?   View Answer
  • What do you do when there is a conflict within a team?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No. HR decide the salary and that's it.

Senior Human Resources Officer Interview

Senior Human Resources Officer
Washington, DC

The process took 2 days - interviewed at The World Bank in September 2010.

Interview Details – Initial communication with the organization was positive, had a telephone interview (with two interviewers) and was shortlisted to come to DC. The planning of the interview was really slow and only confirmed a couple days prior when I had to fly out (intercontinental) to DC. Despite the last minute planning, everything was well planned out when I arrived. Had a couple of good sessions - although they just asked questions and didn't really leave a lot of time for me to ask any. They just all seemed to want to fill the one hour and then go. I even think that my background was confused with someone else because I was told that I had written in my application letter that...and I never had. I looked down and he had someone else's resume lying in front of him. I didn't want to argue - he was a Director but it didn't make the best impression. Valid questions regarding my experience although most of the time they seemed to make me feel like "you're not qualified for this so prove to me that you are - change my mind."

All in all, however, generally positive experience and a good group of people.

Interview Questions

• Questions related to effectively working in bureaucratic organizations   Answer Question
  • How would you define organizational development to someone who knew nothing about it? What is it?   Answer Question

Program Assistant, Short-term Consultant Interview

Program Assistant, Short-term Consultant
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The World Bank in September 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring process started with a phone interview then an in-person interview. It took a long time to be contacted for the first interview after submitting the application. An offer followed two weeks after the in-person interview.

Interview Question – Why am I interested in the international development field?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Be clear and firm when negotiating as they can take advantage of you as a STC.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at The World Bank in April 2010.

Interview Details – I was pretty lucky to get the opportunity to have an interview with the project manager. He firstly asked me about my educational background (I only have a Master's degree in political economy) and then I was told to take a simple test on my ability to run statistic software (eg. spss/ excel/ sas). The office at the specific division is small-- cupical but my friend told me if I'm lucky I can get my own small office like he does. Everyone is very nice and polite there (I guess everyone has a huge respecfulness to each other).

The manager then told me it's a short-term project (about one month and half) and he's still hesitant to bring in/ hiring a new person just bacause it's a huge hassle to go through the whole hiring process. (I'm not sure how long and how complex the whole hiring process at the Bank but it's a huge bureaucracy so I can imagine it would take awhile to finish all the paper work).

Anyways, I didn't get a rejection the end of the day; however, I didn't get an offer, either. My friend told me the projecy manager (he previous boss) decided to do the project himself, which is probably the easies and no hiring involved.

Interview Question – As a Bank contractor, would you be willing to work on weekends or after hours?   View Answer

Research Interview

Research
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at The World Bank in August 2010.

Interview Details – just basic questions about the my education, previous work and skills

Interview Question – There was no difficult question   Answer Question

Financial Management Analyst Interview

Financial Management Analyst
Washington, DC

The process took a day - interviewed at The World Bank in February 2007.

Interview Details – one on one interview with hr team. General revie of my resume

Interview Question – why did you leave your last job   Answer Question

Associate Analyst Interview

Associate Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The World Bank in August 2009.

Interview Details – I interviewed for 1.5 hours with three senior staff members. I then had two hours to prepare two separate written documents for a blog and for a PowerPoint presentation based on some written material provided by the organization. I received a call on a Monday for an interview on Wednesday.

Interview Question – The most difficult part was preparing the written components for the skills test.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was asked to provide a salary range. I provided a range of $55-65 and they offered me a salary at the top of range, so I did not need to negotiate for more.