The World Bank Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at The World Bank.

Interview

Emailed resume to my friend who had a contact at the WB who was looking for candidates for an STT (Short Term Temporary - 2 months) position. Got contacted by the manager (after 2 weeks) to schedule a panel interview. Interview was with the whole team. Very pleasant group of people.

Senior Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in June 2013.

Interview

Four months after applying I received an email mentioning I was shortlisted. In that same communication they asked me for my availability for the next month. Two weeks later they scheduled the interview at their HQ. The interview consisted of a practical test, very specific to the position I was applying to. It lasted the whole morning. at a later point I met with a panel, who was fairly amicable and asked relevant questions. My issue with the process is that it is VERY slow and HR does a very poor job of communicating with the candidates. In the end the process was canceled due to lack of funds.

Interview Questions

• Very specific questions to the job the WB does in the area. Study beforehand.   Answer Question

Energy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in April 2013.

Interview

Two panel interviews. They ask a lot of hypothetical questions. Such as, "if country x wanted to develop a coal plant to alleviate poverty, how would you respond?" Also, several professional background questions such as, "Describe a time when you found an innovative solution to a problem." They lean toward a structured interview where there is not a lot of follow up and give and take.

Interview Questions

• What one word would you use to describe yourself   1 Answer

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in October 2012.

Interview

Occasionally, the World Bank conducts testing before interviews. This is great if you think your talents fit the job moreso than your resume. I got a chance to prove myself before being interviewed. Be patient with them during the background check and offer process. It's a big bureaucracy, and this part takes time.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to speak any foreign language you list on your resume. World Bankers are largely polyglot--there will be someone there who can put you on the spot and engage you in 2 or 3 languages.   Answer Question

Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in September 2012.

Interview

It took a few months after I send my resume to get an interview. I first had a phone interview, then a second, in person, with the whole team. The interviews where well run, professional and gave me a clear sense of the expectations and the team. There was a good degree of sincere warnings about the position and the program, and the risks involved.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate much. I did not know they could have offered more, and should have offered me some compensation/expenses coverage for the relocation to DC.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in August 2012.

Interview

Phone interview and in person interview. For the in person interview I had to prepare and discuss the implementation of a fictissious project. The panel asked different questions regarding my prior experience in the bank which I already had ( i.e. I had already worked of the bank for 12 years).

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Yes I was able to negotiate

Accounting Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in July 2012.

Interview

First interview was a Skype panel interview, panel of 5 people. Second was also a skype interview with Director head of department. Questions focused on work experience and what I can contribute if hired.

Interview Questions

• The most challenging issues I have faced in my career.   Answer Question

Economist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in June 2012.

Interview

Had a phone interview where we discussed individual economic terms to make sure I understood the basic concepts. Group interview consisted of a case study and explaining growth in the GDP of a particular South American country.

Short Terms Consultant - International Trade and Investment Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in June 2012.

Interview

Somebody from their team invited me for an interview after they received my CV which was circulated internally from one employee. There were 2 rounds of interviews. During the first one they were interested in my experience that was related to my previous job. The second interview was with a senior specialist who wanted to see if I fit their profile.

Interview Questions

• What were your responsibilities in a previous job at a related company?   Answer Question

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in June 2012.

Interview

Interview included many functional questions and understanding of emerging markets