The World Bank Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014

3.1

Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at The World Bank in August 2010.

just basic questions about the my education, previous work and skills

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at The World Bank in July 2010.

Interview is conducted with a recrutiment officer. If selected for further assessment you will be asked to take an exam to test your language, technology, and other skills. You are put through timed exams that test everything including any second language you may claim to speak.

Interview Questions
    • Detailed questions on processes for Access DB and SQL for management of a database. I had to give them a menu path without being able to demonstrate it on a computer. This was during a panel interview which was even harder.   Answer Question

Had a better offer from another organization

Senior Economist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took a dayinterviewed at The World Bank in June 2010.

Standard panel of 6 people asking structured questions. A walk through of the CV, why do you want this job? How can you contribute? What would do if...? etc etc. There are very strict hiring targets for women and people from developing countries, so the interview, your skills, your education, are only marginally useful.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at the World Bank?   View Answer
    • What do you do when there is a conflict within a team?   View Answer
    No. HR decide the salary and that's it.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank in June 2010.

The first round is a 3-hour take home written test directly related with the daily work of the job, second round is an interview with two core team members; third round is an interview with the higher manager of the team.

Interview Questions
    • The written test is kind of challenging, especially for people not familiar with the topic and the writing characteristics of the Bank   Answer Question

Junior Professional Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at The World Bank in June 2010.

Online CV submission and got a call for interview. Two rounds of interviews with manager and colleagues. One writing exam.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult situation and how you faced it.   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank in May 2010.

3 steps, Phone, Video interviews with group, panel, managers, supervisor. they dig very deep in knowledge with experience, expertise proof, request sample of works done. Background checks may take very long time before been cleared.

Interview Questions
    Some entry benefits which were not allocated. But the process is pretty tight and you have few room for negociation

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at The World Bank in April 2010.

I was pretty lucky to get the opportunity to have an interview with the project manager. He firstly asked me about my educational background (I only have a Master's degree in political economy) and then I was told to take a simple test on my ability to run statistic software (eg. spss/ excel/ sas). The office at the specific division is small-- cupical but my friend told me if I'm lucky I can get my own small office like he does. Everyone is very nice and polite there (I guess everyone has a huge respecfulness to each other).

The manager then told me it's a short-term project (about one month and half) and he's still hesitant to bring in/ hiring a new person just bacause it's a huge hassle to go through the whole hiring process. (I'm not sure how long and how complex the whole hiring process at the Bank but it's a huge bureaucracy so I can imagine it would take awhile to finish all the paper work).

Anyways, I didn't get a rejection the end of the day; however, I didn't get an offer, either. My friend told me the projecy manager (he previous boss) decided to do the project himself, which is probably the easies and no hiring involved.

Interview Questions
    • As a Bank contractor, would you be willing to work on weekends or after hours?   View Answer

Lead Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank in February 2010.

Very formal and rigid application process, and hard to gain information other than from the web posted job description. The interview process is formal with a round the table approach of one question for each interviewer. It is question and answer only, with very little interaction of discussion. it seems the same exact questions are posed to each interviewee, and so spontaneous follow up questions and answers are not encouraged. The body language is very neutral and sometimes bored. Definitely not a private sector approach

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question was : describe a situation when you were in conflict and how you resolved, and give specific real life examples   Answer Question
    Very little room for negotiation, and basically accept or decline the offer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The World Bank in January 2010.

I learned about the position from the career center at the University. The job offer was not posted on the website of the World Bank and I had to send an email directly to my future supervisors. Soon, I received a phone call to schedule an interview. I had a quick 20 minutes interview with 2 supervisors and 2-3 weeks later I was offer the position.

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at The World Bank in January 2010.

Asked about my previous experience, both professionally and academically. Other questions are technical skills related to the project and knowledge of the field. No behaviour questions.

Interview Questions
    Not much room for salary negotiation.