The World Bank

Relevance Date Difficulty

JPO Interview

JPO
Vienna (Austria)

I applied through other source and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at The World Bank in January 2010.

Interview Details – I had two interviews.

One with the funding ministry of my home country. This was a one hour interview, which mainly focused on my motivation, technical skills, background etc. I found this one pretty straightforward. The questions were the standard hiring questions (briefly summarize your CV and your motivation? why did you apply for this job, and not for another job in development (e.g., UN)? what did you do in the past? what are your technical skills?)

The second one was with the World Bank. It was a panel interview, held as a VC in the country office of the Bank. There were 6 people from different backgrounds (assistants / ACS, senior staff, etc). The questions involved - technical skills, my personal background, my opinions on completely unrelated topics (recent industrial developments in South Korea), hypothetical questions how I would react in certain situations (conflicts, critical situations) etc.

Interview Question – What I didn't expect was that the panel asked me questions that were totally unrelated to the job to which I applied.

Perhaps the most unexpected question was, "How would you react if you get an email from your manager on a Friday afternoon before going home that requires you to work the entire weekend?".
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – The terms were non-negotiable. The panel did not even know the salary that they offered. Any HR decisions were totally separate from the people that hired me.

Worked for The World Bank? Contribute to the Community!