The World Bank Research Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Feb 11, 2015

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at The World Bank in April 2010.

I was pretty lucky to get the opportunity to have an interview with the project manager. He firstly asked me about my educational background (I only have a Master's degree in political economy) and then I was told to take a simple test on my ability to run statistic software (eg. spss/ excel/ sas). The office at the specific division is small-- cupical but my friend told me if I'm lucky I can get my own small office like he does. Everyone is very nice and polite there (I guess everyone has a huge respecfulness to each other).

The manager then told me it's a short-term project (about one month and half) and he's still hesitant to bring in/ hiring a new person just bacause it's a huge hassle to go through the whole hiring process. (I'm not sure how long and how complex the whole hiring process at the Bank but it's a huge bureaucracy so I can imagine it would take awhile to finish all the paper work).

Anyways, I didn't get a rejection the end of the day; however, I didn't get an offer, either. My friend told me the projecy manager (he previous boss) decided to do the project himself, which is probably the easies and no hiring involved.

Interview Questions
  • As a Bank contractor, would you be willing to work on weekends or after hours?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for The World Bank

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The World Bank in October 2013.

- Recommendation from someone that knows the system (professor, former employee, ...)
    - send standard CV, cover letter and 3 reference letters (important that is from well known persons)
    - skype interview with two economists
    - stata test to complete in 2h and send back (basic data management and statistics)
    - sign the contract and arrange visa details

Interview Questions
    • Text book type of questions: when to cluster standard errors, how to evaluate impact of a project in presence of endogeneity and panel data, what is an engel curve, why standard errors need to be revised in the second step of the iv

Research interests question