The World Bank Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Jun 30, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC).

Interview

Casual, asked about experience in the industry, asked to know more about international experience, technical/computer skills, ability to write concisely and in short amounts of time, understanding of the organizations mission and its structure, etc.

We met in the lobby and then went to have a coffee while we discussed my resume and experience. The interview process took two hours, but could very well have only taken 15-30 minutes. It's important to be laid back, casual, and be able to establish a rapport with the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Explain what you found most difficult in your previous position.

What is your greatest weakness?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

Quick and Efficient Interview Process. Once you attract the hiring managers attention the whole hiring process takes place surprisingly fast (or at least this was my experience). The interview was centered around a quantitative analysis that I conducted as part of the application process (it was not necessary but was encouraged).

Interview Questions

• Knowledge and previous work experience related to the quantitative methods necessary for the job (as described in the TOR)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

I saw an online posting and sent in my resume with a cover letter. About a week and a half later, somebody from the specific department contacted me to ask me to perform a timed skills assessment. A week after that, I was asked to come in for an interview with a panel. It was about an hour. I heard nothing for over two weeks after that, and then they called to offer me a position. It did feel slow at times, but everybody I interacted with at the interview was very warm and friendly.

Interview Questions

• Almost all the questions were focused on skills. "When was a time you did X" or "How familiar are you with Y and what projects have you worked on that required Y".   Answer Question

Economist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied for the job online and after slightly more than a monthgot an email informing me that I had been shortlisted and asking to schedule a phone interview. I had the phone interview a week after this. It was sort of a screening interview following which I was invited for a panel interview at the World Bank Interview. I heard back from them about 3 weeks after this and was offered the job, which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Specific questions relating to the particular position I was applying for. Also, a walk through the CV and a couple of behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

Young Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in December 2014.

Interview

The first round included an online application including a personal essay. Letters if recommendation were requested for the second round. The final round was an interview at Washington dc. It was a day long interview consisting of a technal panel interview and a team case study.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview started with a quick overview of the unit and the role. Then a few questions for how my work experience (tech), education (econ/finance), and travels connect to the role/ the World Bank. After 30 minutes, the interview concluded with a request for some verification documents of things listed in my resume, and a take home assignment to sample my work. The interview was informal and rather friendly.

Interview Questions

• What is your familiarity/ comfortability with using data analysis tools?   1 Answer
    • How would you measure the state of education in a country x that is in the middle of a conflict, where valid data is hard to come by?   1 Answer

Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC).

Interview

There were interviews by three senior managers
    they asked questions about my prior experience, my aspirations, how I would go about delivering on work programme
    The interviews were not difficult and not particularly challenging

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in June 2014.

Interview

90 Minute interview, in person after hearing a presentation I held in a large meeting the day before. Did not hear anything from them in the following weeks although they said they were going to contact me within 2 weeks. After several follow-up calls and emails, they said they found someone else who fit the job more closely (2 months later).

Interview Questions

• Could you describe how you would measure and quantify fertilizer usage in a small village in Chile?   Answer Question

Document Unit Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC) in June 2014.

Interview

Panel interview with four people on the team, pretty straight forward-- reviewed my previous experiences and skills listed on my resume, gave a few scenario-based questions, as well as personality-related questions to get to know me better.

Interview Questions

• Would you be able to handle sensitive tasks that hold confidential information and sometimes require careful attention to detail?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate my pay; for a part-time contract job, HR tried to set the pay to $18/hour and I was aiming more somewhere between $20/$23-- I eventually settled for $20/hour.

Long Hiring Process Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC).

Interview

The World Bank gets a lot of international applications. The hiring manager will first get a long list from HR, then will come down to a short list (6-10 candidates). These candidates will have to fill in a written test. If you succeed you'll be selected for an interview panel.

Interview Questions

• No really unexpected questions. This is not Google. So get prepared, know your business, know your sector, remember this is an international environment, You could have in your panel people from Asia, Europe, the US... With different body languages, all talking global english. So be really open to diversity.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negociation phase.