The World Bank

Average Difficulty
36 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The World Bank in October 2013.

Interview Details – I got the job information from my Professor, applied and then was asked for codes and writing sample, received phone interview after 10 days, the questions were asked in the phone interview including: Explain what is cluster analysis? What's your experience with STATA and LaTex? What is you biggest weakness for this position?

Interview Question – What is you biggest weakness for this position?   Answer Question

Senior Specialist Interview

Senior Specialist
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 9 months - interviewed at The World Bank in June 2013.

Interview Details – Four months after applying I received an email mentioning I was shortlisted. In that same communication they asked me for my availability for the next month. Two weeks later they scheduled the interview at their HQ.
The interview consisted of a practical test, very specific to the position I was applying to. It lasted the whole morning. at a later point I met with a panel, who was fairly amicable and asked relevant questions.

My issue with the process is that it is VERY slow and HR does a very poor job of communicating with the candidates. In the end the process was canceled due to lack of funds.

Interview Question – Very specific questions to the job the WB does in the area. Study beforehand.   Answer Question

Long Hiring Process Interview

Long Hiring Process
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 9 months - interviewed at The World Bank.

Interview Details – The World Bank gets a lot of international applications. The hiring manager will first get a long list from HR, then will come down to a short list (6-10 candidates). These candidates will have to fill in a written test. If you succeed you'll be selected for an interview panel.

Interview Question – No really unexpected questions. This is not Google. So get prepared, know your business, know your sector, remember this is an international environment, You could have in your panel people from Asia, Europe, the US... With different body languages, all talking global english. So be really open to diversity.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negociation phase.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The World Bank in December 2013.

Interview Details – The interviewers we not prepared what to ask. And they were asking each other to ask the next questions and laughing to each other. This looks like a joke for them and don't realize that's a future for the candidate.

Program Officer Interview

Program Officer
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at The World Bank in September 2012.

Interview Details – It took a few months after I send my resume to get an interview. I first had a phone interview, then a second, in person, with the whole team. The interviews where well run, professional and gave me a clear sense of the expectations and the team. There was a good degree of sincere warnings about the position and the program, and the risks involved.

Interview Question – I did not expect questions on my personal network.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate much. I did not know they could have offered more, and should have offered me some compensation/expenses coverage for the relocation to DC.

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The World Bank.

Interview Details – short interview

Interview Question – questions were professional ones and quite straight forward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not really

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The World Bank in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through the consulting website and interviewed within two weeks of submitting my application.The questions were around a case study that was required prior to interviewing. None of the questions were unexpected or difficult. I moved to the second interview which was more about the real project, my experience in the field and value proposition, and some problem solving questions.

Interview Question – they were all straight forward   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at The World Bank in January 2010.

Interview Details – Asked about my previous experience, both professionally and academically. Other questions are technical skills related to the project and knowledge of the field. No behaviour questions.

Interview Question – All questions are expected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much room for salary negotiation.

Junior Professional Associate Interview

Junior Professional Associate
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at The World Bank in November 2011.

Interview Details – Apply online
Forward your application to any contacts you may have internally in order to aid you in the short listing process
Once you are short-listed, you get an interview
Some positions require a test after the interview, such as a 24 hour deadline to submit a presentation on a specific topic you are assigned

Interview Question – How do you judge a project or business venture's profit potential?   Answer Question

Young Professional Interview

Young Professional
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a year or more - interviewed at The World Bank in January 2009.

Interview Details – I was among the 800 selected over 10,000 applicants to provide additional info. After that, I was among the 196 who got interviewed (they paid for the travel) in Jan.. Interview took the whole day with one hour lunch break(no lunch or meals provided). Mostly with different groups of people for open discussion. Worked on the computer for a little while. After two months, I got notified that I was not selected. In Sep. I got a call from them asking me to be a contractor, I rejected the offer.

Interview Question – Interview questions were mostly related to being an economist. It did not match my background.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at The World Bank

Worked for The World Bank? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The World Bank interview questions and advice in Washington, DC. All 36 interview reviews posted anonymously by The World Bank employees and interview candidates.