The World Bank Interview Questions in Washington, DC

3.1

40 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at The World Bank.

There were interviews by three senior managers
    they asked questions about my prior experience, my aspirations, how I would go about delivering on work programme
    The interviews were not difficult and not particularly challenging

Long Hiring Process Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank.

The World Bank gets a lot of international applications. The hiring manager will first get a long list from HR, then will come down to a short list (6-10 candidates). These candidates will have to fill in a written test. If you succeed you'll be selected for an interview panel.

Interview Questions
    • No really unexpected questions. This is not Google. So get prepared, know your business, know your sector, remember this is an international environment, You could have in your panel people from Asia, Europe, the US... With different body languages, all talking global english. So be really open to diversity.   Answer Question
    No negociation phase.

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at The World Bank.

short interview

Interview Questions
    • questions were professional ones and quite straight forward.   Answer Question
    not really

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The World Bank in February 2014.

Applied through the consulting website and interviewed within two weeks of submitting my application.The questions were around a case study that was required prior to interviewing. None of the questions were unexpected or difficult. I moved to the second interview which was more about the real project, my experience in the field and value proposition, and some problem solving questions.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at The World Bank in December 2013.

The interviewers we not prepared what to ask. And they were asking each other to ask the next questions and laughing to each other. This looks like a joke for them and don't realize that's a future for the candidate.

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The World Bank in October 2013.

I got the job information from my Professor, applied and then was asked for codes and writing sample, received phone interview after 10 days, the questions were asked in the phone interview including: Explain what is cluster analysis? What's your experience with STATA and LaTex? What is you biggest weakness for this position?

Business Management Officer (Dupont Office) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank.

I was contacted two months after I submitted my application online. The whole process was rather strange. I was asked to come in for an interview 2 days after I got the email from the secretary but I couldn't make it with such short notice. We set up a meeting and then it got cancelled for another week. I went back and looked at the job description and saw something about an "internal candidate" already being identified but that it was still a competitive position. I shouldn't have wasted my time. When I got to the building, there was no one to walk me to the interview room. It was strange that a visitor had to wander around on their own. Seemed unprofessional. While I waited, the team gathered outside of the room while waiting for some people to leave. I got up and tried to make eye contact so that I can introduce myself but no one looked up. When we all got in the room, it was an awkward moment of silence. It was a panel of 5 people. Long story short, I guess I did well enough for them to invite me to meet with the director the following week. The same thing happened when I got to the building; I was walking around on my own as a visitor. I passed by the director's secretary who was not very nice. When I sat down and interviewed with the director, she seemed standoffish. She hardly cracked a smile; had a poker face. She also questioned my job duration. I am a young person in their 30's. She seemed to want to make me feel bad for having a few jobs here and there. She had been at the World Bank for 20 years straight. While I gave her my answers, she wrote down her reviews and tried to cover them as if I was going to read upside down. LOL. She didn't seem to listen well either. She asked me for 2 examples of something and then said she was waiting for my 3rd example. She also tried to incorrectly correct me on a financial answer and I just let it go by saying I couldn't hear her well. I was so glad it was over. I don't think she took the time to review my resume prior to our meeting. I also had a feeling that they already had someone internally and were only interviewing to meet HR's compliance. I feel bad for other candidates who thought they even had a chance. It was the weirdest interview ever.

Extended Term Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The World Bank.

Applied by knowing someone emailed my resume, got called for interview

Interview Questions
    Not much room for negotiations

Senior Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank in June 2013.

Four months after applying I received an email mentioning I was shortlisted. In that same communication they asked me for my availability for the next month. Two weeks later they scheduled the interview at their HQ.
    The interview consisted of a practical test, very specific to the position I was applying to. It lasted the whole morning. at a later point I met with a panel, who was fairly amicable and asked relevant questions.

My issue with the process is that it is VERY slow and HR does a very poor job of communicating with the candidates. In the end the process was canceled due to lack of funds.

Interview Questions
    • Very specific questions to the job the WB does in the area. Study beforehand.   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The World Bank in October 2012.

Occasionally, the World Bank conducts testing before interviews. This is great if you think your talents fit the job moreso than your resume. I got a chance to prove myself before being interviewed.

Be patient with them during the background check and offer process. It's a big bureaucracy, and this part takes time.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to speak any foreign language you list on your resume. World Bankers are largely polyglot--there will be someone there who can put you on the spot and engage you in 2 or 3 languages.   Answer Question