The World Bank Interview Questions in Washington, DC

3.1

40 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at The World Bank.

There were interviews by three senior managers
    they asked questions about my prior experience, my aspirations, how I would go about delivering on work programme
    The interviews were not difficult and not particularly challenging

Lead Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took 3 months - interviewed at The World Bank in February 2010.

Very formal and rigid application process, and hard to gain information other than from the web posted job description. The interview process is formal with a round the table approach of one question for each interviewer. It is question and answer only, with very little interaction of discussion. it seems the same exact questions are posed to each interviewee, and so spontaneous follow up questions and answers are not encouraged. The body language is very neutral and sometimes bored. Definitely not a private sector approach

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question was : describe a situation when you were in conflict and how you resolved, and give specific real life examples   Answer Question
    Very little room for negotiation, and basically accept or decline the offer

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at The World Bank in July 2010.

Interview is conducted with a recrutiment officer. If selected for further assessment you will be asked to take an exam to test your language, technology, and other skills. You are put through timed exams that test everything including any second language you may claim to speak.

Interview Questions
    • Detailed questions on processes for Access DB and SQL for management of a database. I had to give them a menu path without being able to demonstrate it on a computer. This was during a panel interview which was even harder.   Answer Question

Had a better offer from another organization

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

interviewed at The World Bank in March 2011.

The interview include phone then personal interview, it involved a panel and was mostly technical. Focus was on showing technical knowledge as well as familiarity with the type of work that is expected to be done. Typically 3-6 candidate are short-listed for face to face interview. Familiarity with the institution is not necessarily required.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question concerned giving a response in a context that I was not familiar with. I was given a question in my area of domain and asked to apply it on Bangladesh, a country I knew nothing about. The purpose of such questions is to see whether the candidate is able to use their knowledge in different contexts and to modify the approach and thinking based on the country specific context. Such questions almost always come up at interviews and the best answer is to make some assumptions about the context in case you are not familiar with it.   Answer Question

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at The World Bank in October 2013.

I got the job information from my Professor, applied and then was asked for codes and writing sample, received phone interview after 10 days, the questions were asked in the phone interview including: Explain what is cluster analysis? What's your experience with STATA and LaTex? What is you biggest weakness for this position?

Senior Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 9 months - interviewed at The World Bank in June 2013.

Four months after applying I received an email mentioning I was shortlisted. In that same communication they asked me for my availability for the next month. Two weeks later they scheduled the interview at their HQ.
    The interview consisted of a practical test, very specific to the position I was applying to. It lasted the whole morning. at a later point I met with a panel, who was fairly amicable and asked relevant questions.

My issue with the process is that it is VERY slow and HR does a very poor job of communicating with the candidates. In the end the process was canceled due to lack of funds.

Interview Questions
    • Very specific questions to the job the WB does in the area. Study beforehand.   Answer Question

Long Hiring Process Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 9 months - interviewed at The World Bank.

The World Bank gets a lot of international applications. The hiring manager will first get a long list from HR, then will come down to a short list (6-10 candidates). These candidates will have to fill in a written test. If you succeed you'll be selected for an interview panel.

Interview Questions
    • No really unexpected questions. This is not Google. So get prepared, know your business, know your sector, remember this is an international environment, You could have in your panel people from Asia, Europe, the US... With different body languages, all talking global english. So be really open to diversity.   Answer Question
    No negociation phase.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The World Bank in December 2013.

The interviewers we not prepared what to ask. And they were asking each other to ask the next questions and laughing to each other. This looks like a joke for them and don't realize that's a future for the candidate.

Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at The World Bank in September 2012.

It took a few months after I send my resume to get an interview. I first had a phone interview, then a second, in person, with the whole team. The interviews where well run, professional and gave me a clear sense of the expectations and the team. There was a good degree of sincere warnings about the position and the program, and the risks involved.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate much. I did not know they could have offered more, and should have offered me some compensation/expenses coverage for the relocation to DC.

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The World Bank.

short interview

Interview Questions
    • questions were professional ones and quite straight forward.   Answer Question
    not really

Worked for The World Bank? Contribute to the Community!