The Zappos Family Customer Loyalty Team Interview Questions & Reviews

3.3

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Las Vegas, NV
Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family in June 2012.

Applied for the job in the beginning of May and was not contacted until 3 and a half weeks later via email. I was instructed to fill out a "formal" application as well as a questionnaire then to complete a small skills test. The test involved a few grammar questions and a section to assess your typing abilities. I passed everything with flying colors and was scheduled a 30 minute phone interview. The interviewer that contacted me was very pleasant. She asked typical interview questions: "why do you want to work for Zappos" etc. She also asked "After doing some research on our company, what have you learned." (My advice to any attempting to apply for Zappos, DO YOUR RESEARCH ON THE COMPANY. Read up on them and watch the youtube videos about them. Learn as much as you can because this question will be asked more than once.)

The phone interview went extremely well. I was told that out of the other candidates, I was the "only exciting one" and that I "wow'ed" the interviewer. Ecstatic, I went ahead and made the soonest appointment to come in to take yet another test. I was instructed to come to the Zappos office where I was tested on my attention to detail. With a group of 5 other candidates, we were taken to a small section of the main office where there were computers set up on a mock zappos website. We were required to place 8 orders for fictional customers who all had odd names and information. (You only get to mess up 2 in order to pass) Once again, I passed the test with 100% and scheduled yet ANOTHER interview.

The email I was sent stated that I would be required to go through another series of tests to see how well I can navigate through search engines etc. I arrived to my interview early and was told by another candidate that the computer system used for the tests were down and that all she had to do were the face to face interviews. It didn't take long for me to be taken to my first one on one interview which was with one of the CLT leads. She asked basic interview questions, asked about my previous jobs, what are some accomplishments I'm proud of, and also gave me two customer scenarios and asked how I would handle each one. This lasted for 30-40 minutes and it was the most comfortable interview I've been to yet. It felt as if I were chit chatting with a friend. I asked a ton of questions at the end and was extremely thrilled at how well things were going. I was then taken to a different room for my next face to face interview which was with one of the recruiting managers. I should have known based on this interview that I was not going to land the job.

The woman that interviewed me seemed to only be interested in the emails she was receiving on her laptop rather than the answers to my questions. (both interviewers entered in my answers to their ipad/laptop) She barely made any eye contact and was not as animated as the previous interviewer. The emails she received were completely irrelevant to work as well! (she read one to me) Once again, I was asked typical questions: "why are you looking for a new job", "what is an example where you went more than what was required of you", and the infamous "what do you know about Zappos" etc. I answered all the questions with confidence and proceeded to ask when I should expect to hear from them. I was told I should hear back by Wednesday (interview was on a Sunday). A friend of mine who had an interview just an hour after mine told me he heard back hours after his interview and was given his start date! Patiently I waited and by Tuesday afternoon heard nothing back. Being impatient as I am, I emailed one of the recruiters to follow up and was sent a reply from the interviewer who seemed more interested in personal things than the interview itself. I was unfortunately told that against other candidates I was not a "strong enough match". I passed all their tests with ease, all the interviews went extremely well (so I thought), I have over 7 years of customer experience, yet I'm not a "strong" enough match to be in customer loyalty? I feel as though they base the hiring off your personality/looks rather than your skills. Walking through the Zappos office, I felt at home. The people were friendly and I felt as if my personality would fit perfectly. Apparently, someone didn't think so.

For those attempting to join the company, be warned. No matter how much experience you may think you have or how well you think things are going, you won't get the job unless you are exactly like them. The best way I can describe it is, if you're not a hipster do not bother applying. You won't get the job.

Other Interview Reviews for The Zappos Family

Anonymous Employee  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 5 months - interviewed at The Zappos Family in August 2011.

After 5 months of various testing at home & on-site & passing all of those with flying colors, I anxiously awaited the e-mail to notify me of my face to face interview! Alas, an e-mail did arrive a few weeks later to inform me that due to the amount of applicants waiting for an interview, I would instead be scheduled for a phone interview with a Recruiter. I was contacted about a week later to set up a time & we agreed on that.

The day came for the interview & much to my surprise, the call came a full hour earlier than expected. As to take advantage & not try to reschedule, I hurried to get to a quiet place to gather pen & paper to take notes. The Recruiter said that he had "finished some things early & figured" he would call early & hope I was home. (bad sign #1) No sweat, gathered my thoughts quickly & was ready to interview. I was told originally the interview would last about 30 min., the Recruiter informed me 2 seconds into the call that "this will be quick & shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. (bad sign #2). So, I was all set to answer questions about my resume & work history & then have some fun by seeing what "crazy" question he would ask (as I had seen in other reviews written)...WELL. I was then informed by the Recruiter that he was "unable to open my resume" (bad sign #3) which caught me off guard (since the resume had been in Jobvite since day 1 & everybody else had no problem opening it) as he had a full hour before our interview so why would he not have had that issue resolved BEFORE calling? In other words, no resume means he had no intention of knowing who he was interviewing, nor my experience, which only compounded the fact that he couldn't have seemed less interested in our conversation & sounded as if he had already decided on his choices for the position & was just trying to rush through the rest of the scheduled interviews. No funny anecdotes, no witty questions, no personality & no interest in anything besides rushing through a phone interview on a Friday afternoon. I've had more questions asked by Telemarketers.

I can not fault an entire company for one unfair interview, as everyone else I dealt with along the way was a pleasure. I do believe that I did not have a fair shot at a face to face interview & after 5 long months of having nothing but e-mails full of praise for passing tests & challenges, everything came down to 1 man who was not prepared enough to have even viewed the resume of a potential candidate, who never even intended to give me a chance. Am I weird? yes. Am I a "Culture Fit"?. yes. Is my schedule completely open to any hours & days? yes. Do I have transportation? yes, Do I have 20 years of excellent customer service experience? yes. Have I previously been a Call Center Manager? yes.
    All of these questions & more could have been asked during this 15 (yes, 15, not even 20!) minute conversation.
    I will continue to apply for Zappos every chance possible because I can positively excel in this position. I also know it was just an unlucky draw of the cards that this man was chosen to "interview" (I say that loosely!) me. And because I do my own research, it was nice to see he has a public profile on Facebook & an entry posted 2 days prior to my "interview" at 9am saying that he was "headed into work now to kick back with a beer & read some resumes". Yes, this is Las Vegas, but I really thought there would be a more professional standard when it comes to determining someone's future employment.

Good luck to everyone else & stay positive through all the lengthy waiting periods (you may get one of the other awesome folks in HR who had been my contacts up until "the end") & hope you get a chance at a face to face interview. 99.9% positive i'd have moved onto one if I had gotten a fair shot!

Anonymous Employee  in  Henderson, NV
    Anonymous Employee in Henderson, NV

I interviewed online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at The Zappos Family in June 2011.

6 months of e-mails starting with trying to find out about the openings they had. then the following: grammar test, spelling test, typing test, computer assessment test, 2 face to face interviews. Was told that they had found other people that were better qualified in some areas. Encouraged to apply in another 6 months.

Interview Questions
    • If you could have dinner with 2 people, alive or dead, who would they be and why?   Answer Question

Worked for The Zappos Family? Contribute to the Community!