The Zappos Family Human Resources Interview Questions

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family (Henderson, NV) in October 2011.

Interview

I applied online and received an e-mail through Jobvite to schedule a phone interview. The recruiter was fantastic: friendly, engaging. I had no doubt my experience would be ideal, but - a word of advice - read on the company, its culture and core values. There are a lot of videos on YouTube to help as well. Anyway, since I'm very non-corporate, geeky, prankster, joker and down-to-earth, I'd figure it would be the kind of culture I'd thrive in.

A few days after the phone interview, I got an e-mail asking to schedule a sandbox test, which is used to determine your attention to detail. Only up to 2 mistakes are allowed in a 30-minute span, but if you are careful and detailed it will be an easy task.

Then, I was invited to interview in person at its HQs. As per the interview invitation and the corporate culture, I didn't dress up for the interview, but I was wearing clean and average business casual clothing. A shuttle picked me up at the hotel by 9:30 a.m. and took me to the HQs. After waiting a bit and being provided water by the very nice guy at the front concierge desk, I was taken to a themed conference room. Soon, the recruiter with whom I had the phone interview and a more senior person came in and we talked about my specific experience as it relates to the position. I think everything went well and I clicked with the interviewers - I think they clicked with me as well. We spoke for approximately 40-45 minutes.

Then, they left and a couple of other people in the department came in. The questions were of the 'cultural fit' mode. We joked and laughed a lot. It was very informal and I got to showcase a bit of my joking personality. This was another 40 minutes or so. By then, it was time for lunch with various potential coworkers.

They took me to a nearby restaurant and I tried to have a conversation with all the people present (about 12-14 people), asking questions and laughing along, trying to be congenial and collegial.

After lunch, I had a further interview with yet another senior representative and it was a very pleasant informal chat that, again, lasted 40-45 minutes.

At the end, a friendly person took me around for a tour. I felt at home at Zappos - no doubt. I felt the zany and creative air would be the perfect place for me and I would be able to succeed and be a constructive member of the team.

Then, the waiting game began. Unfortunately, a week to the day of the interview I got an e-mail that said something along the lines that a majority of the team didn't click with me and therefore they would not pursue my application, that it was a very tough decision after some prolonged deliberations, etc.

I got the impression that the people I spoke with during the 3 separate interviews were not the issue. The problem was at lunch with the rest of the people. But I question whether it's realistic to 'click' or not with someone at lunch over a period of one hour. I've always had lunch with a prospective hire, but I would never judge his/her suitability simply by what happened at lunch. Moreover, it's hard to 'click' with 10-12 different people.

That was a bit disappointing. However, I know who and what I am and I know full well I'd be great in a culture such as Zappo's. There's not one thing I'd change about my interview and I have nothing but kind words for the people I had the pleasure of meeting. Their loss, not mine!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for The Zappos Family

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Zappos Family (Henderson, NV) in April 2010.

Interview

Applied online, all emails process through Jobvite. Culture fit interview with Recruiter. Standard questions including where you see yourself in 3 years, what did you like most/least about your last/current job, and also how weird you are on a scale of 1-10.

NOTE: If they give you a time that they will call, be prepared for them to actually call you about 15 minutes later. They will then ask you if that's okay that they're calling late which I believe is probably to see how you react.

Human Resources Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in April 2012.

Interview

I received an email less than 48 hours after I submitted my application. The recruiter that emailed me set up a phone interview (with Zappos the first interview is a culture interview) for the next day. The culture interview was what I expected from the research that I had completed on the company. She asked a few job related questions and a few cultural questions (things like how weird I was, etc). She then said she would set me up with another interview with an HR Manager. The HR Manager contacted me within 2 or 3 days and set up an interview with me a day after that. This interview was a technical interview. Many questions about my previous HR experience and specific situations I have dealt with and the frequency I had dealt with them. Both interviews lasted about 30 minutes and they were both very polite and friendly.

Interview Questions

• On a scale of 1-10 how weird are you?   1 Answer