The Zappos Family

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Henderson, NV

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family in October 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an e-mail through Jobvite to schedule a phone interview. The recruiter was fantastic: friendly, engaging. I had no doubt my experience would be ideal, but - a word of advice - read on the company, its culture and core values. There are a lot of videos on YouTube to help as well. Anyway, since I'm very non-corporate, geeky, prankster, joker and down-to-earth, I'd figure it would be the kind of culture I'd thrive in.

A few days after the phone interview, I got an e-mail asking to schedule a sandbox test, which is used to determine your attention to detail. Only up to 2 mistakes are allowed in a 30-minute span, but if you are careful and detailed it will be an easy task.

Then, I was invited to interview in person at its HQs. As per the interview invitation and the corporate culture, I didn't dress up for the interview, but I was wearing clean and average business casual clothing. A shuttle picked me up at the hotel by 9:30 a.m. and took me to the HQs. After waiting a bit and being provided water by the very nice guy at the front concierge desk, I was taken to a themed conference room. Soon, the recruiter with whom I had the phone interview and a more senior person came in and we talked about my specific experience as it relates to the position. I think everything went well and I clicked with the interviewers - I think they clicked with me as well. We spoke for approximately 40-45 minutes.

Then, they left and a couple of other people in the department came in. The questions were of the 'cultural fit' mode. We joked and laughed a lot. It was very informal and I got to showcase a bit of my joking personality. This was another 40 minutes or so. By then, it was time for lunch with various potential coworkers.

They took me to a nearby restaurant and I tried to have a conversation with all the people present (about 12-14 people), asking questions and laughing along, trying to be congenial and collegial.

After lunch, I had a further interview with yet another senior representative and it was a very pleasant informal chat that, again, lasted 40-45 minutes.

At the end, a friendly person took me around for a tour. I felt at home at Zappos - no doubt. I felt the zany and creative air would be the perfect place for me and I would be able to succeed and be a constructive member of the team.

Then, the waiting game began. Unfortunately, a week to the day of the interview I got an e-mail that said something along the lines that a majority of the team didn't click with me and therefore they would not pursue my application, that it was a very tough decision after some prolonged deliberations, etc.

I got the impression that the people I spoke with during the 3 separate interviews were not the issue. The problem was at lunch with the rest of the people. But I question whether it's realistic to 'click' or not with someone at lunch over a period of one hour. I've always had lunch with a prospective hire, but I would never judge his/her suitability simply by what happened at lunch. Moreover, it's hard to 'click' with 10-12 different people.

That was a bit disappointing. However, I know who and what I am and I know full well I'd be great in a culture such as Zappo's. There's not one thing I'd change about my interview and I have nothing but kind words for the people I had the pleasure of meeting. Their loss, not mine!

Interview Questions

Henderson, NV

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Zappos Family in April 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online, all emails process through Jobvite. Culture fit interview with Recruiter. Standard questions including where you see yourself in 3 years, what did you like most/least about your last/current job, and also how weird you are on a scale of 1-10.

NOTE: If they give you a time that they will call, be prepared for them to actually call you about 15 minutes later. They will then ask you if that's okay that they're calling late which I believe is probably to see how you react.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself doing in 3 years?   Answer Question

Human Resources

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family in April 2012.

Interview Details – I received an email less than 48 hours after I submitted my application. The recruiter that emailed me set up a phone interview (with Zappos the first interview is a culture interview) for the next day. The culture interview was what I expected from the research that I had completed on the company. She asked a few job related questions and a few cultural questions (things like how weird I was, etc). She then said she would set me up with another interview with an HR Manager. The HR Manager contacted me within 2 or 3 days and set up an interview with me a day after that. This interview was a technical interview. Many questions about my previous HR experience and specific situations I have dealt with and the frequency I had dealt with them. Both interviews lasted about 30 minutes and they were both very polite and friendly.

Interview Question – On a scale of 1-10 how weird are you?   View Answer

Worked for The Zappos Family? Contribute to the Community!