The Zappos Family Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview

All electronic. Nothing personal. Timed tests to complete and return. When I questioned them on the phone about something I discovered in the test (an error), they put me on hold, then came back with the wrong answer upon which I was to base my answers. This, in turn, made several of my answers incorrect. Since determination of correct answers was done by a computer, I then had to follow up by phone and once again point out the errors on their part causing the subsequent errors on my part. Talk about wasting time, going in circles and making a bad impression by having to tell them of their error. They don't get back to you with any results so that YOU can learn from what they wanted. Very one sided. Not impressed with their HR.

Interview Questions

• Nothing. Just electronic tests and interaction. Way too impersonal.   Answer Question

Web Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview

Honestly the most non-sense and time-wasting interview experience. From the initial contact it took more than 2 months to move to the last final interview, and in between they make you jump through all the ridiculous hoops(IIRC more than 5 written tests, assessments, phone, and video call "intervierws") and making you answer questions largely unrelated to skills or past team experiences at all, claiming that they are trying to figure out the ever-mysterious and vague "cultural fit" part. For the very few questions that are related to skills or technical knowledge, they are like jokes. From the interactions with interviewers over the course, they seemed to be uninterested and disengaged in the conversations, and worse yet, did not have in-depth domain knowledge or maturity level you'd expect from your immediate management.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online(didn't becomes an insider). Took about a week until I was asked to take 3 assessments(call center simulation, knowledge assessment and personality assessment). Maybe a week and a half later I was asked to do a video interview with 4 questions. After that, maybe a few days, they asked to schedule a Skype interview with the recruiter and another manager. It took place yesterday (about 2 weeks later) and I was offered the position today...contingent upon a background check and employment verification.

Interview Questions

• We frequently have parades going on in the call center...if you had to start a parade what kind would it be and how would you get people to join?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations

CLT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online and then became an insider. After that I had to do a video interview and a few online tests (typing skills, etc.) Then I got an actual interview. It was an amazing process. I felt extremely comfortable and it was the first interview I could be myself in.

Interview Questions

• What is a mistake you made in a previous job?   Answer Question
    • If you had to have a parade In the office, what would the theme be ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in May 2015.

Interview

Lots of steps! Online application, video interview, math/comprehension test. Finally an in person interview! This took about 4 weeks total. Loved my recruiting team, they made me feel comfortable and we shared a lot of laughs. Didn't feel like an interview at all. Lots of questions that require quick thinking and a zappos.com navigation "test". Got an offer on the spot and I accepted!

Interview Questions

• If you could put together a parade, what would your theme be?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview

Zappos fly the intern candidate go Vegas for a two-day on-site interview. There are 3 rounds: a technical challenge round that I was asked to code on my own laptop, an interview with HR about behavior and motivation questions, and a technical round that I was asked to code on white board to solve algorithm problems.

Interview Questions

• Longest palindrome that is a substring of a given string   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview

the video interview which includes self introduction, the basic skills for user research, and some questions about your trait. Since it is an interview that just like a Video record and you should response it in one minute, I just feel nervous for that

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

The initial round is on hackerRank, where you have to code in your desired language and also additional virtual interview where you have to record answers, it is behavioral based and they really filter people based on those videos, to test if you would fit in their culture.

Interview Questions

• Q. after you clear those rounds, you get a ticket to Vegas!! YES and oh boyyy... it is fun.. after playing games touring the office and an open BAR!! they take another coding round where there are easy questions if you did the HackerRank test on your own! and then next day two rounds of interview, one is technical and other HR. in technical expect basic questions with some white board coding and you really have to crack the behavioral to get into Zappos. It is a fun experience, network and talk to everyone out there, coz that is all they call you there for ....   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in April 2015.

Interview

Basically put your information online. If you don't put Customer Loyalty Team as a choice, you will be waiting a long time for contact as that seems to be the real starting point.They have various "mixer" events while you wait where you can meet staff and they can meet you. Seems like a good idea, but if you start asking the "wrong" types of questions like "What do you think of the new managerial style Zappos has added?" You get evasive, nervous answers. I saw one "team member" actually look around to see who was nearby before giving a noncommittal answer. 1984? or KGB about?

If selected, you do an online song and dance with multiple testings of typing, grammar, and video interview. Very easy. Next you are asked to set up an interview, which in my case I had to email 3 times to get my recruiter to set a date. Interview day took about 5 hours as there were many, many candidates. Finally got a 2 on 1 interview with HR. Asked scenario and basic other questions. The people were nice, but seemed preprogrammed on what they wanted to hear.

Don't worry about your skills, education, background, experiences as none of it matters. They are more interested in who "fits" in their clubhouse. They ignore many wonderful people who would be a great asset to their company based on a short interview and opinion of the H.R. team. The pay offered is ridiculously low. ($11.00 an hour) but in fairness, you can increase it a tiny bit later on.

I liked Zappos. They seemed sincere, but lost in direction and focus on some very crucial aspects. They need to pay their people better, have better accountability, and get a more diverse work force rather than this overly narrow corporate culture. You need the strengths of both introverts and extroverts. Being (acting) upbeat all the time is not natural. Nothing is perfect and you should be able to state disagreements or flaws without fear of repercussions. I saw real fear in some of their employees if asked of real opinions. Read the other reviews to get an idea. The cracks are starting to show on this social experiment. Much like sustainability of Tony Hsieh's Downtown projects it will be interesting to see if this survives.

Software Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process took a month. It started with a recruiter call, then another recruiter call, then a hiring panel, then an in person interview. The salary is quite low. I was not expecting a million dollars, but to stay within industry standard would have been more acceptable than 50% of my current salary.

Interview Questions

• What is the title to your biography? What is your favorite core value?   Answer Question