The Zappos Family

The Zappos Family Interview Questions

Updated Dec 6, 2014
Updated Dec 6, 2014

Clerk Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

A very long process with many applications, videos, and phone interviews. Surprisingly if you are not a parting animal you will not be a match for them.... Nothing in between, but that's their culture!

Design Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

I was very excited to go to the in person interview. After the phone interview I had with the team I felt fairly confident and excited. I thought we really clicked and they knew my skill set etc. However I knew things had gone bad fairly quickly. First they have you come very early to do a tour of the building and they talk up why it's so great there. If I'm being honestly and I am, this is hard because you are nervous and tired and it seems all very pointless. The tour could be cut in half. Then they put you into a room to start the interviews with people. For me personally after a couple rounds of interviews with some of the team (3 people) we (the team and I) all went to lunch together. At this point I thought it was going fairly well. Not too terrible but not badly either. I was pretty nervous so it was hard to read. But then I knew about ten mins into the lunch that I wouldn't get the job when the person that would of been my boss barely could make eye contact with me. He seemed irritated by everything I said which made me even more nervous. Then I knew the nail was in the coffin when we got back to the offices he seemed irritated that he had to find out where I needed to go next. When I left to go on to interview with someone else he didn't even shake my hand or acknowledge my presence. At that very second I knew the rest of the day would be a pointless exercise. I thought well I'll use this opportunity to practice my interview skills. The rest of the day was pretty bad. Knowing early on that I was absolutely no way going to get an offer I basically stopped trying at all. Sad but true. The other people I met with must of got the memo that I was already in the no pile. Most of them didn't even bother to look up from their laptops when they spoke to me. It was all I could do to not run crying from the building.

Intern Interview

It is a very long and time consuming process with many different parts and steps. I personally did not like the interview process because majority of the application must be recorded and submitted online. There was very little personal interaction.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied through other source – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

24 Hrs coding challenge.
    HR interview
    Telephonic interview
    Onsite interview

I applied online and I got a 24 Hrs coding challenge next day. 24 Hrs coding challenge was related to consuming their REST URLS and implement some Algorithms. I developed a NetBeans maven based web project using custom MVC (Servlet centric approach), used Jersey client API's, URL API's, some business service components, Controllers and presentation pages.
    I was selected in 24 Hrs coding challenge.

Next step was HR telephonic interview - It was 30 mins non-technical interview. More focused on their company culture and core values. I was selected in HR telephonic interview.

Next step-A technical phone interview with 3 Technical people- They asked me about my previous and current projects.

Some basic Java questions- Interfaces, Abstract classes, Some design patterns some programming in a Shared Document. Exception handling Some SQL related questions & SQL Queries.

One program was one basic series program- I solved recursively. They asked me a little bit about breaking condition and time complexity.

Questions related to overloading and overriding.

Basics of Object Oriented Programming.

Some String related questions- Reverse a String

Database - Some questions related to Database normalization and Some database quarries.

My interview went well and interviews told me my interview was good and they want to see me for F2F interview and HR will contact you for next steps to come to Vegas for F2F. I was excited because everything went well. Unfortunately I got a rejection email. I tried to contact them but there was no reply from their side.

During telephonic interview there was heavy disturbance in the communication line. It was very difficult for me to understand what they were saying.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________

For 24 Hrs coding challenge- Focus on architecture of the application before writing the code and spend some time on Algorithms, make components independent and reusable, create a documentation for APIs usage, add description of components and usage in your project in the document. Write your code as simple as possible.

For String related questions
    Split function.
    Reversing in 3 ways , Looping, use a method of StringBuffer and the best solution implement your own Stack Data Structure.

For Database related questions-Focus on Limit, Union and Sub Queries.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in November 2014.

Applied online and submitted a resume and cover letter. A few weeks later, I received a Technical Challenge where I had to write some code using their API. When submitting the technical challenge you must also do a recorded video interview. If they like everything they will fly you out to Vegas for two days of interviews. Pretty standard questions. Nothing too difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard string/array questions. How can you determine if a string is a palindrome? Longest palindrome substring?   Answer Question

Higher paying position with another company

Outlet Operations Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Very cool process. The company gets to know personally and professionally taking the non-traditional approach. You're welcomed to be yourself, which lows the tension and nervousness during the interview.

Seasonal Customer Loyalty Team Member Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Note that this is what I went through for their 2013 season, might be different this year. The process begins at your temp agency and any prerequisite testing they might need. Afterwards you are set up to record and send an online interview. You're recorded on webcam, asked questions and given a time limit to answer. You can't redo the question, but you are in control of when the time limit counts down and are given a "practice round" you can watch beforehand. If you make it from there, you take a "speed interview" alongside other prospective employees that works similar to speed-dating. You sit down at a long table and answer questions from an interviewer for a few minutes then shuffle to a different one. If your interviewer finishes their list of questions before the time is up they'll try to make small talk which is almost a question itself. They're looking for how you interact on a personal level, personality and individuality is a big selling point. Get pass that and you're all done with only training left.

Interview Questions
    • What do you do when an irate customer is asking for something that clearly goes against policy?   View Answer

Product Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in September 2014.

Multiple phone interviews with recruiter and department managers as well as an "exercise" supposedly designed to determine your quality of work as a product manager. If you pass the "exercise," the next step is an all day in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • The "exercise" was about entering a market, not about analyzing products and system processes. They expected market research rather than system analysis. This is atypical of what's expected of a tech product manager.   Answer Question

Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

My interview process was around 5 months long, and I engaged in about 5 interviews during this period. All of them went well until the last one, when the person I was speaking with on the telephone seemed to be walking somewhere during the entire interview. She seemed out of breath during most of the call and was totally not engaged in our discussion. A few times, she actually asked me to hold on so she could speak with someone else that was in her presence. In general, it was an interesting experience, and all those I dealt with were very nice and respectful, except for the last person, who clearly had better things to do than interview me. Given the amount of time I spent on the entire process, and that I had progressively advanced to the next step with each interview, to be treated the way I was in the final interview was completely unprofessional and disrespectful at best. Like I said though, all my prior interviewers were wonderful, so keep that in mind when you read about my experience. If you can manage to avoid that one person (and any others like her), it seemed like a good company and an alright opportunity if Vegas is where you want to be.

Interview Questions
    • One of my interviewers (the bad one) asked about my family and implied that Vegas probably isn't a good option for me. It was a bit shocking.   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Website Team Lead Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family in September 2014.

I applied online through Zappos Website.Recruiter contacted me and scheduled for Telephonic Interview.Technical recruiter called and discussed about the job and my experiences mentioned in the resume.I was informed that my resume will be recommended for the next level of technical interview.One week later i got email telling i am not considered further .