The Zappos Family

Updated Mar 1, 2015
Updated Mar 1, 2015

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

There are several rounds of interviews in hiring processs.

First they asked me to write a small application. That primarily involved to build some logic for identifying all the combinations satisfying a given condition, and had to use Rest Api along with downloading images.

Then there was a telephone interview for an hour. Questions were very simple and focused on object modelling, basic java and sql. They also asked me to explain about my project. Asked me to explain about any important decision I took in the project.

This was followed by an onsite interview. I was asked to travel to Vegas for the interview. They will plan your travel verywell.

Onsite interview was very long. It started at 8:30 am and went till 5pm. Frankly I felt it was very long with several rounds. But I believe the hiring process is one of best ones I ever had. I gives you sense what they r looking for and gives you an idea how people are at Zappos.

Here is how my whole day at Zappos went. For first one hour they gave the tour of the company, showed us different departments. It was quite useful to know work culture at the company.

After that I had four technical and one HR(behaviorial) rounds. In two rounds they asked me to write algorithms like reverse a linked list, tree traversing algorthms, permutation and combination algorthms. They asked additional questions like time complexity and write alternate algorithms. You may also have to discuss about performance of what you write.

Second one was coding challenge, they asked me to write code to implement Lift. They give you one hour of time and would expect you it to run.

Third round lasted for 2 hours in which they focus on how you model and design applications. They give many applications, tweet it in different ways and ask you how would you design the system for each of them. I felt it very interesting but I felt it verylong.

HR asked many questions to see if your fit to the company work culture. It was of different kind n cool

Interview Questions
    • HR asked many interesting questions. like which super hero do you like and why?   Answer Question
    • why should we hire you?   Answer Question
    • How are you different from others and make you unique?   Answer Question
    • what do you do in free times?   Answer Question
    • what movies did you watch in recent times? this was a followup question to previous question.   Answer Question
    • Did you ever suggest any thing to upper management to deal with any of the company or project level problem?   Answer Question

Offer was just OK when compared to what I am getting so don't want to change.

But I still recommend Zappos. It would be fun to work there. They give you good relocation package, joining bonus. Also don't forget it's a tax free state. Just evaluate if Vegas is a right place for you before going to interview. Not all may like the place.

Information Security Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Was given a challenge, in which we were just to outline an attack process, no proof of concept. After that we were required to complete an virtual interview (about 9 questions, 4 behavioral and 5 tech).

Interview Questions
    • Describe any conficts you had in a team, what would you bring to a desrted island   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

A project asking you to poke around a data set and find any pattern that may make sense to you. The data set is not too large. and a virtual interview asking 9 questions including behavior and basic techniques. You will record a video under its system and you can record it twice.

Android Development Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

There is a code challenge to write a simple android weather app, you can use any weather api.
    virtual interview is easy questions to know about you, nothing technical.
    You will have one week to submit virtual interview and code challenge.
    if they chose you as final list, they will assist you to fly to Las Vegas for an onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • what are two things you are going to pack if you will be in a desert?
      What did you do when you get negative feedbacks from your boss or professor?

Advanced Analytics Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

One analytics challenge was based on mock web data. The prompt was fairly vague and allowed the candidate to use any method (excel, R, other coding languages, etc). Additionally, a video interview was required before their initial review. Once passed this stage, they fly you out to Las Vegas to interview at their headquarters

Interview Questions
    • Basic statistics concept questions, one or two simple coding questions, what two things would you take to a deserted island?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

I applied online. Within one week they sent me a Hackerrank test and a TakeTheInterview interview. These both had to be completed within a two week time frame. The interview questions consisted of typical, personality, and technical questions. The interview itself wasn't much of a problem.

Interview Questions
    • An integer whose base-ten representation consists of only zero and one is called a "zero-one". given an arbitrary integer N, find the smallest "zero-one" integer S which is the multiple of N. (It is mathematically guaranteed that every N has such an S).

Constraint:
      0 < N < 100,000

Sample Input:
      Sample Output:

Web Analytics Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Consisted of an online challenge that everyone applied to and then a two day onsite interview for those selected from the online challenge. They fly you out to Vegas and cover accommodation. The 2 days process consists of getting to know the company and team and then technical interview with your respective team and HR interview.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ithaca, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Ithaca, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Zappos Family in February 2015.

Applied on the Zappos website, took their online assessment and online interview. The OA consists took 4 hours and had 3 questions. 2 were basic algorithmic questions, 1 was a pretty hard math problem with "zero-one" question. If anyone who has heard back from them, please post a note here, thank you!

Interview Questions
    • 4 hour online assessment with 3 questions. And an online interview, with 9 behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Product Management CollegeBusiness Development Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in February 2015.

Zappo's internship interview has been explained multiple times on the previous reviews:
    After passing the resume screening you go through a two part first step.

One part is the challenge. It varies with the role you are applying for. For the Product Management Intern role it consisted on coming up with a new product for Zappos, talking about the value proposition, the target market and the overall business model as well as making a prototype.

Another part is a virtual interview in which you are presented with questions, have time to think (30 sec) and then 1 to 2 minutes to answer, while being recorded via webcam. They are mostly behavioral questions to see if you are a match for the company. Some easy technical questions related to the position can also be expected.

I wasn't selected for the next part of the interview, so I can't talk much about that.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me more about yourself.
      Why Zappos?
      What do you look for in a Summer internship?
      What ways did you find to improve our website?

Advanced Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in February 2015.

There were two parts. 1) Challenge: Analyzing a dataset consisting of user behavior and purchases from different websites. 2) Virtual interview: You have to record your responses to 9 questions. The challenge was open ended. You can do a visualization, build a predictive model or do forecasting. Two weeks for the challenge and can be done in any language or software package.

Interview Questions
    • Q. Interview had 9 questions. First few were behavioral questions and the last ones are from basic statistics (like when do you choose median instead of mean? How to do decide on the sample size? etc.)   Answer Question