The Zappos Family

The Zappos Family Interview Questions

Updated Feb 20, 2015
Updated Feb 20, 2015

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

A project asking you to poke around a data set and find any pattern that may make sense to you. The data set is not too large. and a virtual interview asking 9 questions including behavior and basic techniques. You will record a video under its system and you can record it twice.

Android Development Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

There is a code challenge to write a simple android weather app, you can use any weather api.
    virtual interview is easy questions to know about you, nothing technical.
    You will have one week to submit virtual interview and code challenge.
    if they chose you as final list, they will assist you to fly to Las Vegas for an onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • what are two things you are going to pack if you will be in a desert?
      What did you do when you get negative feedbacks from your boss or professor?

Advanced Analytics Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

One analytics challenge was based on mock web data. The prompt was fairly vague and allowed the candidate to use any method (excel, R, other coding languages, etc). Additionally, a video interview was required before their initial review. Once passed this stage, they fly you out to Las Vegas to interview at their headquarters

Interview Questions
    • Basic statistics concept questions, one or two simple coding questions, what two things would you take to a deserted island?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

I applied online. Within one week they sent me a Hackerrank test and a TakeTheInterview interview. These both had to be completed within a two week time frame. The interview questions consisted of typical, personality, and technical questions. The interview itself wasn't much of a problem.

Interview Questions
    • An integer whose base-ten representation consists of only zero and one is called a "zero-one". given an arbitrary integer N, find the smallest "zero-one" integer S which is the multiple of N. (It is mathematically guaranteed that every N has such an S).

Constraint:
      0 < N < 100,000

Sample Input:
      Sample Output:

Web Analytics Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Consisted of an online challenge that everyone applied to and then a two day onsite interview for those selected from the online challenge. They fly you out to Vegas and cover accommodation. The 2 days process consists of getting to know the company and team and then technical interview with your respective team and HR interview.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ithaca, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Ithaca, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Zappos Family in February 2015.

Applied on the Zappos website, took their online assessment and online interview. The OA consists took 4 hours and had 3 questions. 2 were basic algorithmic questions, 1 was a pretty hard math problem with "zero-one" question. If anyone who has heard back from them, please post a note here, thank you!

Interview Questions
    • 4 hour online assessment with 3 questions. And an online interview, with 9 behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Product Management CollegeBusiness Development Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in February 2015.

Zappo's internship interview has been explained multiple times on the previous reviews:
    After passing the resume screening you go through a two part first step.

One part is the challenge. It varies with the role you are applying for. For the Product Management Intern role it consisted on coming up with a new product for Zappos, talking about the value proposition, the target market and the overall business model as well as making a prototype.

Another part is a virtual interview in which you are presented with questions, have time to think (30 sec) and then 1 to 2 minutes to answer, while being recorded via webcam. They are mostly behavioral questions to see if you are a match for the company. Some easy technical questions related to the position can also be expected.

I wasn't selected for the next part of the interview, so I can't talk much about that.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me more about yourself.
      Why Zappos?
      What do you look for in a Summer internship?
      What ways did you find to improve our website?

Advanced Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in February 2015.

There were two parts. 1) Challenge: Analyzing a dataset consisting of user behavior and purchases from different websites. 2) Virtual interview: You have to record your responses to 9 questions. The challenge was open ended. You can do a visualization, build a predictive model or do forecasting. Two weeks for the challenge and can be done in any language or software package.

Interview Questions
    • Q. Interview had 9 questions. First few were behavioral questions and the last ones are from basic statistics (like when do you choose median instead of mean? How to do decide on the sample size? etc.)   Answer Question

Android Development Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

1. Online virtual interview and coding challenge - to be finished within a week. Coding is challenging to me, but there is a week's time limit. Virtual interview is easy to answer. Just some interesting questions for company to know you.
    2. Onsite interview and tour

Interview Questions
    • We want to see if your skill-set aligns with the internship you're applying to. Ignore core value #10 for a minute and show us what you've got!

Please complete the challenge below and send it back to us by replying to this email with the completed the challenge.

One of the most important aspects of ecommerce and online retail is pricing. In order to increase purchases on their mobile app, Zappos is considering sending price notifications any time a saved/favorited item goes on sale!

Write a small application using the Zappos API that lets a user pick their desired product(s) and then notifies them when the price hit at least 20% off the original price.

In order to make calls to the Zappos API, you will need to use an API key. Please use the following API key when making these calls -

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

I was contacted through their Insider program to apply for a Senior Financial Analyst position in Las Vegas. They said that even though I've already been a manager for 3 years, that I wasn't qualified enough since they require 5 years of experience. There was a manager spot open, but I really wanted to work here and I figured I'd take a step down just to get my foot in the door.

After I applied it took a MONTH to set up a virtual interview. This is one where you answer some predefined questions through your webcam that is recorded and reviewed later. It's awkward, but I understand wanted to get rid of weirdos early and not in person.

It then took ANOTHER MONTH, for them to review my virtual interview and contact me to tell me that I needed to take an Excel test. I took the test at home but it was very very simple. At my job we use this to make sure people are technically qualified, but this test was so easy I was a little nervous. I passed and that day they sent an email saying they'll set up an HR interview.

I talked to the HR lady (she was very nice) a week later and had a Skype interview two weeks after that with the two Finance Managers. Standard questions, nothing too crazy. One of them was nice but I got a weird vibe from the other one. But I passed and two weeks later I had my Interview in person.

They make you get there at 8:30a and the recruiter gives you a tour of the complex and explains their benefits. She was very nice and the place is AMAZING. Just a giant dorm room that you can work at. They told me to dress comfortably so I asked my friend who works there and he said nice jeans and a button up is fine. I had about 5 hours of interview both with two people and 1-on-1. You don't need to know anything about Zappos history at all because they don't ask about that. They ask personality and some logic questions.

It took ANOTHER month for them to let me know and i got the "no" email. Funny thing is that I've done over a hundred interviews (for my own department) and I've never performed better in my life, ever. Even one of the managers thought I was "too qualified" for the Senior role. So I was not qualified for Manager, but too qualified for Senior??

Interview Questions
    • How many gas stations are there in America?   View Answer