The Zappos Family Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2014
Updated Sep 14, 2014

Customer Loyalty Team Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online - interviewed at The Zappos Family in August 2014.

I applied through a link posted to Facebook by a current employee. Initial application was somewhat lengthy and done online. It contained some off the wall questions - what would your theme song be, which superhero would you be. It gave you an idea of the feel of the company. Next was an automated online skills test and interview. After that I was called into the office for a face to face interview. Easily the most laid back, least anxiety producing interview ever. The 45 minute interview flew by and it felt just like having a chat with a friend. This is the 'culture' interview to make sure you are a good fit with the company. After that there was a quick 'technical' interview where I was asked to navigate the Zappos website and find information as well as finding info off the website. I got a call no more than a half hour after leaving the interview with the job offer.

No negotiation

CLT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family in August 2014.

After I created my account through the Zappos Insiders site, I was eventually contacted by my recruiter and from there it was actually pretty fluid and quick. Anytime I sent and email to my recruiter she generally responded really fast, which was a pleasant surprise compared to other jobs. From there, I was given the links to my skills test as well as me creating a video interview.

The video interview itself wasn't intimidating, there is a time limit and no chance on 'do-overs' but the point is more about creativity and being yourself versus a rehearsal. There was also the typing test which eventually led to me being sent the last few parts of the process which also included writing a letter to Tony on why you believed you should be hired. Personally, I adored their application questions and getting the chance to write out answers like 'My favorite Superhero and why?'-- overall I enjoyed each step.

Once I'd submitted everything and moved through each point, I had my in-person interview which included another skills test with the computer. I had never been to Zappos' HQ before and I was honestly very astonished with how friendly everyone was. I've worked at alot of huge employee filled placed, but non that had that warmth behind the greetings. Heck, even the other guy that was there for an interview at the same time as me was very friendly (Me and him both actually were taken on and we're in the same training class now, giving me a friend/coworker right off the bat.)

The interview was amazing, my recruiter was a joy to meet in person and not only did I address your average Interview questions, but we talked and joked around. It was more like having a talk with a new friend getting to know them than it was an actual interview. We were having such a good time we didn't realize how much we'd been running over before I was suppose to switch to the other employee who was doing the skills portion.

Next up, you interview with another person where you sit at the computer and take on mock call situations while navigating Zappos. It was the first I'd ever actually been put in that situation, but it was actually really cool to see them interested in gauging a person's ability and desire to empathize, navigate, and also accommodate the customer. After everything was said and done, I felt really good about it all and in all honest I had never had so much fun on an interview.

It only took a couple days before I heard back, the last parts being the need to run my background check. That all went smoothly and I was given my offer.

All and all, it was an awesome experience and I only wish more places tackled their recruiting process like Zappos.

Interview Questions
    • If I was going to hold a parade, what would the theme be and why?   Answer Question

User Experience Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at The Zappos Family in March 2014.

The interview process mirrors Zappos itself - disorganized and chaotic with a lot of promise. There wasn't much coordination of the process/interview day and many of the interviews covered the same ground. Interview sessions that got into actual work were much more productive. The whole process is very long - ostensibly b/c they are "really getting to know you" but really just big gaps of no communication and a process clearly hindered by bureaucracy. However, many people who I met during the interview process transcended all that and confirmed Zappos was a place I wanted to work.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions were ones where the interviewer had a very specific answer in mind rather than seeking to understand the candidate's overall approach and thinking.   Answer Question
    Zappos salaries are below market, and there isn't much getting around that. However, there is some flexibility in signing bonus and relo costs.

Merchandising Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Zappos Family in March 2014.

Apply online, the recruiting team emails you and lets you know you have been selected for the second step which is the video interview, you have a few days to prepare, then you access the video review portal from a separate email link, the video interview is all electronic and there is no live interaction with another person, you are asked to answer about 8-10 questions, you can can practice a few times, then you are recorded and timed, submit your video recorded interview, wait for the recruiter to get back to you via email in a few days to let you know if you are selected or passed on.

Interview Questions
    • Do you consider yourself to be a lucky person? Why or Why not?   Answer Question

Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

My interview process was around 5 months long, and I engaged in about 5 interviews during this period. All of them went well until the last one, when the person I was speaking with on the telephone seemed to be walking somewhere during the entire interview. She seemed out of breath during most of the call and was totally not engaged in our discussion. A few times, she actually asked me to hold on so she could speak with someone else that was in her presence. In general, it was an interesting experience, and all those I dealt with were very nice and respectful, except for the last person, who clearly had better things to do than interview me. Given the amount of time I spent on the entire process, and that I had progressively advanced to the next step with each interview, to be treated the way I was in the final interview was completely unprofessional and disrespectful at best. Like I said though, all my prior interviewers were wonderful, so keep that in mind when you read about my experience. If you can manage to avoid that one person (and any others like her), it seemed like a good company and an alright opportunity if Vegas is where you want to be.

Interview Questions
    • One of my interviewers (the bad one) asked about my family and implied that Vegas probably isn't a good option for me. It was a bit shocking.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Applied online, got an email scheduling a Skype interview with me the following week. The Skype interview was with HR, and it went really well. It was basic stuff asking me about my education, knowledge of the particular position's skills, etc. I was then told that they wanted me to speak to two members of the Marketing department. I spoke with them later that week. It was very relaxed and comfortable for me. We discussed the position, Las Vegas, team building, etc. The seemed very impressed with my knowledge of Zappos culture, so study up!

Junior Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at The Zappos Family in July 2014.

Went through two online applications before being asked for a phone interview. After the phone interview I heard back about a week later that they wanted me to come in and meet the team. Both HR Insiders I talked to were really helpful and responded pretty dang fast if I had a question.

Being a Las Vegas local, I got to their offices on my own. Their front desk staff is very welcoming and their campus is pretty awesome. The whole day was pretty cool being able to meet the team. You go through quite the wringer of interviews and conversations. One employee clearly didn't want to be a part of the interview process, but the rest were really informative and chill.

Interview Questions
    • If you or someone else wrote a biography of your life, what would the title be?   View Answer

CLT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

I applied for the CLT position right before Zappos changed their hiring practices. A friend of a friend sent me a text to tell me the link was up, and I applied online as quickly as possible. The link was gone 30 minutes after I heard about it! Within a few days I got an e-mail informing me that the first step in the process was for me to take two different online assessments. One was a typing test. I think you only had to be able to type 20 wpm. The second test was a grammar assessment. Both were simple and straight forward. The day after I'd taken the tests I got another e-mail letting me know I'd passed. The next step was a face to face interview! I interviewed with two different ladies. One did the "Culture" interview and the other did the "Technical" interview. My culture interview was a normal kind of job interview with a few "Zappos" type of questions. That lasted about 45 minutes. I wold definitely say remember to do your homework on the company before you go! Then it was on to the technical interview. That took place in a small room with a computer. She would give me scenarios and then watch as I used the Zappos website (or google) to find what the customer was looking for. It seemed like they were just checking to make sure you had a general understanding of how to work the internet! :) She also asked me some "What would you do" type of questions related to helping an escalated customer call. (Like a family going on vacation who didn't get their new shoes in time). I have a few friends. Then my interview was over and I was told they would be deciding within the week. I left the interview and went to a movie. When I got out I had an e-mail telling me I'd made it to the next step. The position was mine as long as I passed their employment verification and background checks. That process took about one week. After that I got a call officially offering me the position!

Interview Questions
    • Knowing what you know about Zappos Core Values, if you had to help me plan a fun themed event, what kind of event would it be?

In your previous jobs name a situation where you had an idea that was not well received by your fellow employees.
        Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied online - interviewed at The Zappos Family in March 2014.

I applied online, then received an email to complete the video interview. The next stage was a culture fit phone interview with the recruiter. Next I had a phone interview with my potential manager. After that I skyped with two potential team members. Then I was asked to compete a skills test in excel. After all that they offered to fly me out to their headquarters in Las Vegas for an all-day interview (Zappos paid for all my transportation and lodging, it was so great)! While there I took a tour of the office, had another culture fit interview with another recruiter. I also had 2 other interviews with potential co-workers. Two people from my department took me out to lunch and gave me the scoop on what it is like to work there. I then had an interview with a colleague who held similar responsibilities to the role I was interviewing for. Then I met with my manager and the 2 team members I skyped with previously. It was a full, busy, magical day. A few days later I was asked for information to complete a background check, and after it cleared they made me a final offer.

Interview Questions
    • You're shrunk to the size of a nickel and thrown in a blender. The blades are going to star spinning in 60 seconds. What do you do?   View Answer

Merchandising Assistant Interview

Extensive. Application, video cover letter, Merchandising challenge, online interview, flew out to company to interview with specific teams (it varied, but I had 5) and a culture interview with HR.

Interview Questions
    • If you stuck on an island and you had to pick two items to have with you...   View Answer
    Do it! It's a great experience and you will not regret it.

Worked for The Zappos Family? Contribute to the Community!