The Zappos Family

Updated Dec 6, 2014

Photo Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shepherdsville, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shepherdsville, KY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Zappos Family in May 2012.

There were four interviewees and five interviewers. We each had five minutes with each one and then they would ring a bell and we would rotate! They called it speed interviewing. The questions were beyond silly with one serious question thrown in ever five minutes. It was obvious they had not read my resume or application. It was frankly difficult not to walk out. Then I was told a week later I was not hired because I was not Humble.

Product Analyst - Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Zappos Family in November 2012.

This was the longest interview process ever. I first applied online and made a video cover letter which was cool, and then got an online interview where I recorded answers to questions. Then I had to fill out an actual application followed by a small questionnaire that you will do fine on if you read Tony Hsieh's book. After that I was mistakenly given an internal job application. After that I had a 1+ hour phone interview which kept getting rescheduled and the hardest questions were asked.

Interview Questions
    • You have two strings that burn in 1 hour but at an uneven rate. How do you measure out 15 minutes?   View Answer

Customer Loyalty Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The Zappos Family in August 2013.

The entire interview process took about 2 weeks. I submitted my application, next day received 4 emails for online test and virtual interview, went in for 8 question test, went in for face to face interview with 3 people and another online test.

Interview Questions
    • If you could have lunch with to people who would they be and why?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in October 2013.

My first 'application' was on Jobvite; a poorly designed website which converted my DOC-format into plain text (requiring a re-write), with 'hundreds' of boxes to fill out, and one of the most clumsy user-interfaces I've ever seen.

A week later I received a non-personal email asking me to fill out another questionnaire, which asked for information I had already submitted (and also contained on my resume), and many personal questions. When I finally reached the end, the website gave me an error and erased my progress. This same email also indicated they wished me to complete yet another survey, within a 48-hour time period.

With red-flags everywhere, the process demonstrated to me that this company did not value my time, nor take me seriously, so I abandoned the application.

Thankfully I 'quit' when I did, because the reviews here confirm everything I suspected. Apparently, I was barely 10% through their process & they treat the "awesomeness" of their company as compensation alone. I don't mean to sound cynical, but I've heard the sales pitch way too many times "work your ass off for my awesome company, get paid in awesome-publicity!"

As if any confirmation is needed, reading these reviews, they're low pay, no salary-negotiation, and as another review stated "Zappos' philosophy is that you should want to work there beyond a paycheck."

Interview Questions
    • Lots of personal question & questions about favorite super-heroes.   Answer Question

The Zappos Family Response

Oct 11, 2013Sourcer

We apologize for the bad experience. Thanks for sharing, we value all feedback and just know that we are always trying to improve and streamline our process. LH

Operations Research/Statistical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

I submitted my resume on Wednesday and received a response from HR on Friday. I filled out the application form and submitted next Tuesday. On Friday (only 9 days after resume was submitted) I received an email from the hiring manager informing me that a phone interview would be conducted in one week. A week later, I had my interview with the hiring manager, which was a simple 30 minute interview with only one technical question. A week later, I received and email from HR saying that I will not be chosen.

The process was by far the quickest I have ever experienced. However, the hiring manager was not very personable, which seemed rather odd to me because I was expecting better inter-personal skills from a Zappos employee.

Interview Questions
    • You have 1000 randomly sampled data points. The goal is to try to build a regression model with one response variable from k regressor variables. Which is better?
      1. (Bayesian Regression) Using the first 500 samples to estimate the parameters of an assumed prior distribution and then use the last 500 samples to update the prior to a posterior distribution with posterior estimates to be used in the final regression model.
      2. (OLS Regression) Use a simple ordinary least squares regression model with all 1000 regressor variables.

View Answer

Merchandising Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in February 2014.

Video Interview

Interview Questions
    • After going to thee site what was good and what was bad?   View Answer

Android Development Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at The Zappos Family in January 2014.

Applied online get email after few days. They sent me 2 links: one is changelle test make a mobile app using their API. second link is virtual interview. I did not come out solution for the tes

Customer Loyalty Team Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

I signed up on the zappos website to be an "insider" and right away was contacted to come to a nice cream social at the zappos hq. I posted my resume and a video cover letter on the website and went to the party to network a bit. Within a week I had received 3 emails regarding positions that they were filling and process of interviews. I did a virtual interview, a skills test, grammar test, and typing test from home. I got an email the next morning to schedule an interview. I had 2 in person interviews. One with an hr rep, one with a clt recruiter / hiring mgr. I did a mock order and answered questions about my background and work history in the first, and answered creative culture based questions in the second. All in all it was a fun process and they respond quickly. I would 100% do it again and would encourage anyone to apply.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation at all. Accept or they'll give the spot to one of the other 60 candidates

Merchandising Assistant Interview

Extensive. Application, video cover letter, Merchandising challenge, online interview, flew out to company to interview with specific teams (it varied, but I had 5) and a culture interview with HR.

Interview Questions
    • If you stuck on an island and you had to pick two items to have with you...   View Answer
    Do it! It's a great experience and you will not regret it.

Merchandising Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Zappos Family in March 2014.

Apply online, the recruiting team emails you and lets you know you have been selected for the second step which is the video interview, you have a few days to prepare, then you access the video review portal from a separate email link, the video interview is all electronic and there is no live interaction with another person, you are asked to answer about 8-10 questions, you can can practice a few times, then you are recorded and timed, submit your video recorded interview, wait for the recruiter to get back to you via email in a few days to let you know if you are selected or passed on.

Interview Questions
    • Do you consider yourself to be a lucky person? Why or Why not?   Answer Question