The Zappos Family

136 candidate interviews

Photo Assistant Interview

Photo Assistant
Shepherdsville, KY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Zappos Family in May 2012.

Interview Details – There were four interviewees and five interviewers. We each had five minutes with each one and then they would ring a bell and we would rotate! They called it speed interviewing. The questions were beyond silly with one serious question thrown in ever five minutes. It was obvious they had not read my resume or application. It was frankly difficult not to walk out. Then I was told a week later I was not hired because I was not Humble.

Interview Question – Mullets... hot or not?   View Answer

Product Analyst - Finance Interview

Product Analyst - Finance
Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at The Zappos Family in November 2012.

Interview Details – This was the longest interview process ever. I first applied online and made a video cover letter which was cool, and then got an online interview where I recorded answers to questions. Then I had to fill out an actual application followed by a small questionnaire that you will do fine on if you read Tony Hsieh's book. After that I was mistakenly given an internal job application. After that I had a 1+ hour phone interview which kept getting rescheduled and the hardest questions were asked.

Interview Question – You have two strings that burn in 1 hour but at an uneven rate. How do you measure out 15 minutes?   View Answer

Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Zappos Family in August 2013.

Interview Details – The entire interview process took about 2 weeks. I submitted my application, next day received 4 emails for online test and virtual interview, went in for 8 question test, went in for face to face interview with 3 people and another online test.

Interview Question – If you could have lunch with to people who would they be and why?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family in October 2013.

Interview Details – My first 'application' was on Jobvite; a poorly designed website which converted my DOC-format into plain text (requiring a re-write), with 'hundreds' of boxes to fill out, and one of the most clumsy user-interfaces I've ever seen.

A week later I received a non-personal email asking me to fill out another questionnaire, which asked for information I had already submitted (and also contained on my resume), and many personal questions. When I finally reached the end, the website gave me an error and erased my progress. This same email also indicated they wished me to complete yet another survey, within a 48-hour time period.

With red-flags everywhere, the process demonstrated to me that this company did not value my time, nor take me seriously, so I abandoned the application.

Thankfully I 'quit' when I did, because the reviews here confirm everything I suspected. Apparently, I was barely 10% through their process & they treat the "awesomeness" of their company as compensation alone. I don't mean to sound cynical, but I've heard the sales pitch way too many times "work your ass off for my awesome company, get paid in awesome-publicity!"

As if any confirmation is needed, reading these reviews, they're low pay, no salary-negotiation, and as another review stated "Zappos' philosophy is that you should want to work there beyond a paycheck."

Interview Question – Lots of personal question & questions about favorite super-heroes.   Answer Question

The Zappos Family Sourcer responded to this review

Oct 11, 2013

We apologize for the bad experience. Thanks for sharing, we value all feedback and just know that we are always trying to improve and streamline our process. LH

Operations Research/Statistical Analyst Interview

Operations Research/Statistical Analyst
Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume on Wednesday and received a response from HR on Friday. I filled out the application form and submitted next Tuesday. On Friday (only 9 days after resume was submitted) I received an email from the hiring manager informing me that a phone interview would be conducted in one week. A week later, I had my interview with the hiring manager, which was a simple 30 minute interview with only one technical question. A week later, I received and email from HR saying that I will not be chosen.

The process was by far the quickest I have ever experienced. However, the hiring manager was not very personable, which seemed rather odd to me because I was expecting better inter-personal skills from a Zappos employee.

Interview Question – You have 1000 randomly sampled data points. The goal is to try to build a regression model with one response variable from k regressor variables. Which is better?
1. (Bayesian Regression) Using the first 500 samples to estimate the parameters of an assumed prior distribution and then use the last 500 samples to update the prior to a posterior distribution with posterior estimates to be used in the final regression model.
2. (OLS Regression) Use a simple ordinary least squares regression model with all 1000 regressor variables.
  View Answer

Merchandising Assistant Interview

Merchandising Assistant

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family in February 2014.

Interview Details – Video Interview

Interview Question – After going to thee site what was good and what was bad?   View Answer

Customer Loyalty Team Member

I applied online and interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview Details – I signed up on the zappos website to be an "insider" and right away was contacted to come to a nice cream social at the zappos hq. I posted my resume and a video cover letter on the website and went to the party to network a bit. Within a week I had received 3 emails regarding positions that they were filling and process of interviews. I did a virtual interview, a skills test, grammar test, and typing test from home. I got an email the next morning to schedule an interview. I had 2 in person interviews. One with an hr rep, one with a clt recruiter / hiring mgr. I did a mock order and answered questions about my background and work history in the first, and answered creative culture based questions in the second. All in all it was a fun process and they respond quickly. I would 100% do it again and would encourage anyone to apply.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiation at all. Accept or they'll give the spot to one of the other 60 candidates

Recruiting Assistant Interview

Recruiting Assistant
Las Vegas, NV

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family in July 2013.

Interview Details – My interviews were fun and I had a happy hour at the end of the process. I had an answer pretty quickly and in the most unique way. I'd tell you how, but I'd hate to spoil the fun!

Interview Question – I got asked many weird questions but can't think of one specifically to call out.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Easy. The terms were set.

Finance Interview

Finance
Las Vegas, NV

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview Details – Hr interview is 100% culture focused. It is a very important part of the entire interview process. Without passing the culture interview, no matter how strong you are technically, you won't get the job.

Interview Question – Which superhero do you want to be?   View Answer

Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family in May 2012.

Interview Details – There was much back and forth through email, and the responses were within hours. I was asked questions that were more related to my life than my work history like what my favorite super hero is and why.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question was "Who is your favorite super hero and why?"   Answer Question

Worked for The Zappos Family? Contribute to the Community!