The Zappos Family Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

Customer Loyalty Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in July 2015.

Interview

Hiring process was typical. Did a virtual interview at first, if your personality shines through you then do an assessment and schedule an interview when contacted. You then tour the Zappos facility with others and do a group interview and a 1on1 interview with someone in the HR department. The whole process was very quick and the experience was very positive.

Interview Questions

• Which Zappos core value do you agree with most? Why did you quit your last job?   Answer Question

Merchandising Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in August 2015.

Interview

Longer than I expected but such a great experience. I was flown out but it was well worth it. I had 2 phone interviews that were casual and easy going conversations. In person interview was an all day event with lots of tiny group interviews. I also have a one hour culture fit interview where they asked a ton of scenario questions and basic core values questions. Overall everyone was phenomenal and very easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• What's a something weird that you like to do?   1 Answer

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in April 2015.

Interview

I signed up for Zappos Insider since I heard the culture was fun/quirky/cool and I was really attracted to that. Initially, I submitted a resume and answered some basic background questions and some silly questions. The other reviews give a good overview of what the silly questions are so I don't need to repeat them here. I went to an Insider event which was very entertaining (and slightly awkward - like all networking events are!) Overall, I was glad I went because it gave me a really good flavor of the culture. A few weeks later, I saw they were hiring for a Senior Financial Analyst (right up my alley) so I submitted my resume specifically for that position. A recruiter contacted me via email and asked me to fill out an online job application (a serious one) and arranged for me to take a 1-hour Excel challenge. You do this remotely and just have to email it back to them within an hour. It was very straightforward and included pivot tables, vlookup, and some basic math/analysis of a financial statement. I was notified via email that I passed the Excel test and it was time for my first phone interview with the recruiter. The phone interview started off really well. She had basic questions for me about my background and capabilities. I was very enthusiastic and used every opportunity I had to work in how much I loved Zappos' values and culture and used examples of my actions from previous jobs to show how I would contribute positively to the culture (proactively organizing happy hours, weekend getaways with big groups of co-workers, how I turned one co-worker's weird personality quirk into a strength by training him to adapt it to his advantage). The conversation went well and flowed easily. The recruiter said she wanted to bring me in to meet with the team - but - what were my salary requirements? So I told her what I made at my last job and - WOW - she said the salary for this job was 40% below that! I was flabbergasted. I had heard that Zappos pays below market and was willing to take a pay cut for this job, but that was just too much. The recruiter used a cost-of-living calculator (since I moved here from an expensive city) and was trying to sell me on how the salaries were actually equivalent because of the cheap housing cost and no income tax in Nevada. This may be true, but I am still early in my career and I didn't want to pin myself into a low salary, because I was afraid it would mean my future raises (usually given as % of current salary) would result in less money and that it would mean I couldn't earn as much in my next job either. I asked if there was room to negotiate and the recruiter flat out told me no because I was already at the highest end of the allowed range. I was super bummed but declined the follow-up interview and kept looking and found a similar position for more than what I made at my last job! Money isn't everything.... but it has to be in the right range! I hope my experience helps somebody. :)

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in January 2015.

Interview

It was quirky and fun, I have never had such an abstract interview process. The interviewers were approachable and very open, there was a very nice atmosphere for this process and the job thus far has reflected the interview.

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

Online application, grammar test, video interview submission, in-person group interview. All of these processes are used to determine if you are a good personality fit for the culture of the company. It was a very detailed and intense process, but not a difficult one. Definitely worth the time and effort!

Interview Questions

• If you could be any superhero, who would you be and why?   Answer Question

Customer Loyalty Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Henderson, NV

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Henderson, NV) in July 2012.

Interview

I went through a phone interview, then was schedule to take a typing and grammar test online, then I was called in to take an online test to see if I was able to place an order through the website, then had a face to face interview with 2 separate interviewers in the same day and then was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Zappos? What can you bring to the Zappos team?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process is very in-depth with a recorded video interview, a written application with both basic and off the wall questions (your theme song, etc,). Then after a typing test and basic computer knowledge test, I was called in for an in-person interview. I wore jeans and felt comfortable. A group of 6 of us were given a tour and then taken in for one on one interviews. It was a very stress-free interview and it didn't take long for me to feel like I was chatting with friends.

Interview Questions

• What is a weird fact about yourself?   1 Answer

Security Operations Center Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in June 2015.

Interview

- Technical Interviews on the phone (more than once) - My second interview on the phone was a web connection at the same time and I was asked questions while looking at the interviewer screen for questions about technical stuff. - Interview in person with all / most of the team members you will be working with to make sure that you fit in the team. Personality is very important to Zappos. - Company Tour

Interview Questions

• - Questions about experience - Education - Certifications -Some technical questions - Personality questions like: How lucky you are? what super hero would you like to be?   Answer Question

Customer Loyalty Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in June 2015.

Interview

What a unique process! Most companies have you send them a resume and then maybe an interview but Zappos wants to make sure you're a good fit with them.The first thing you'll see is the unique questions on the resume/submit interest form.Questions like: "what's you favorite song"and "if you could invite 2 people from any point in time, real or imaginary to dinner, who would it be any why" find their way on the form along with your more typical questions. Then you have an assessment test, a webcam interview, and , if all goes well, an in person interview! Even the interview has some unique questions as well to engage you personally. It was really refreshing to me to see a company engage their potential new hires rather than just having them sell themselves like a car. It takes longer to go through the hiring process than with other companies, so be prepared for that. Overall, a GREAT experience!

Interview Questions

• If a parade went by your desk and you were on a call with a customer, how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Android Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied for the position and heard back in about 2 weeks. I was given a challenge and had 1 week to complete it. It was to use the Zappos API to make an app and submit it. From there I had to do some video interview questions that were quite weird but I won't say what there are because that would spoil the fun

Interview Questions

• One question to for the Culture fit was: What is a question that we haven't asked you and what is the answer?   Answer Question
    • Another question for the tech side was write a sorting algorithm and walk through it.   Answer Question