The Zappos Family

Updated Feb 20, 2015
Updated Feb 20, 2015

Advanced Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in February 2015.

There were two parts. 1) Challenge: Analyzing a dataset consisting of user behavior and purchases from different websites. 2) Virtual interview: You have to record your responses to 9 questions. The challenge was open ended. You can do a visualization, build a predictive model or do forecasting. Two weeks for the challenge and can be done in any language or software package.

Interview Questions
    • Q. Interview had 9 questions. First few were behavioral questions and the last ones are from basic statistics (like when do you choose median instead of mean? How to do decide on the sample size? etc.)   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

A project asking you to poke around a data set and find any pattern that may make sense to you. The data set is not too large. and a virtual interview asking 9 questions including behavior and basic techniques. You will record a video under its system and you can record it twice.

Product Management CollegeBusiness Development Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in February 2015.

Zappo's internship interview has been explained multiple times on the previous reviews:
    After passing the resume screening you go through a two part first step.

One part is the challenge. It varies with the role you are applying for. For the Product Management Intern role it consisted on coming up with a new product for Zappos, talking about the value proposition, the target market and the overall business model as well as making a prototype.

Another part is a virtual interview in which you are presented with questions, have time to think (30 sec) and then 1 to 2 minutes to answer, while being recorded via webcam. They are mostly behavioral questions to see if you are a match for the company. Some easy technical questions related to the position can also be expected.

I wasn't selected for the next part of the interview, so I can't talk much about that.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me more about yourself.
      Why Zappos?
      What do you look for in a Summer internship?
      What ways did you find to improve our website?

Android Development Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

There is a code challenge to write a simple android weather app, you can use any weather api.
    virtual interview is easy questions to know about you, nothing technical.
    You will have one week to submit virtual interview and code challenge.
    if they chose you as final list, they will assist you to fly to Las Vegas for an onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • what are two things you are going to pack if you will be in a desert?
      What did you do when you get negative feedbacks from your boss or professor?

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in April 2014.

I submitted a resume through their website. They emailed me a coding challenge, and I emailed them back some Java code that successfully performed some interactions with the Zappos API.

I passed the challenge, so I moved on to a phone interview with a lady in HR. She asked me a bunch of personality questions. If you research Zappos culture you'll know how to easily answer these. :-) Definitely make the impression that you're fun and would enjoy socializing with your co-workers after-hours. She also asked my salary expectations, so don't let that question catch you by surprise.

A few days later I had a phone interview with a guy in Engineering. We did another online coding challenge, in Java again. He expected me to solve a string parsing question in a certain way, but I over-analyzed it and bombed the question. In retrospect, if I was just a little more familiar with all of the basic String functions in Java, I might have made it further through the interview process. My bad! Lesson learned: Master the fundamentals! :-)

Interview Questions
    • Search for a character in a string and split the string based on the character.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ithaca, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Ithaca, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Zappos Family in February 2015.

Applied on the Zappos website, took their online assessment and online interview. The OA consists took 4 hours and had 3 questions. 2 were basic algorithmic questions, 1 was a pretty hard math problem with "zero-one" question. If anyone who has heard back from them, please post a note here, thank you!

Interview Questions
    • 4 hour online assessment with 3 questions. And an online interview, with 9 behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Advanced Analytics Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

One analytics challenge was based on mock web data. The prompt was fairly vague and allowed the candidate to use any method (excel, R, other coding languages, etc). Additionally, a video interview was required before their initial review. Once passed this stage, they fly you out to Las Vegas to interview at their headquarters

Interview Questions
    • Basic statistics concept questions, one or two simple coding questions, what two things would you take to a deserted island?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in February 2015.

They responded pretty fast. I got an email only a few days after I submitted my resume. First an online coding challenge, including 3 problems within 4 hours. The problems were farily challenging. Then a virtual interview with basic behavior questions, like self-introduction, what you will bring to a deserted island, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Tell if a number can be expressed as p^q;
      Number of unique palindromes in a string;
      Smallest zero-one number divisible by N;

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

I applied online. Within one week they sent me a Hackerrank test and a TakeTheInterview interview. These both had to be completed within a two week time frame. The interview questions consisted of typical, personality, and technical questions. The interview itself wasn't much of a problem.

Interview Questions
    • An integer whose base-ten representation consists of only zero and one is called a "zero-one". given an arbitrary integer N, find the smallest "zero-one" integer S which is the multiple of N. (It is mathematically guaranteed that every N has such an S).

Constraint:
      0 < N < 100,000

Sample Input:
      Sample Output:

Web Analytics Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Consisted of an online challenge that everyone applied to and then a two day onsite interview for those selected from the online challenge. They fly you out to Vegas and cover accommodation. The 2 days process consists of getting to know the company and team and then technical interview with your respective team and HR interview.