The Zappos Family Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online from a link on Facebook from a friends post. Quick online application then you get an e-mail about three different online applications to finish and complete. The first one was normal questions about history and what not with questions like "If you could bring 2 people from the past or present to lunch who would it be and why?" then the last part of the online application was a video interview where you are asked 4 questions and you are recorded to tell your answer.

Interview Questions

• Some of the online video questions were.
      Tell us about yourself.
      why are you interested in Zappos?
      what did you find out about us when you googled Zappos, and what is one of our CORE VALUES?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in May 2015.

Interview

Lots of steps! Online application, video interview, math/comprehension test. Finally an in person interview! This took about 4 weeks total. Loved my recruiting team, they made me feel comfortable and we shared a lot of laughs. Didn't feel like an interview at all. Lots of questions that require quick thinking and a zappos.com navigation "test". Got an offer on the spot and I accepted!

Interview Questions

• If you could put together a parade, what would your theme be?   Answer Question

CLT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online and then became an insider. After that I had to do a video interview and a few online tests (typing skills, etc.) Then I got an actual interview. It was an amazing process. I felt extremely comfortable and it was the first interview I could be myself in.

Interview Questions

• What is a mistake you made in a previous job?   Answer Question
    • If you had to have a parade In the office, what would the theme be ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online(didn't becomes an insider). Took about a week until I was asked to take 3 assessments(call center simulation, knowledge assessment and personality assessment). Maybe a week and a half later I was asked to do a video interview with 4 questions. After that, maybe a few days, they asked to schedule a Skype interview with the recruiter and another manager. It took place yesterday (about 2 weeks later) and I was offered the position today...contingent upon a background check and employment verification.

Interview Questions

• We frequently have parades going on in the call center...if you had to start a parade what kind would it be and how would you get people to join?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview

All electronic. Nothing personal. Timed tests to complete and return. When I questioned them on the phone about something I discovered in the test (an error), they put me on hold, then came back with the wrong answer upon which I was to base my answers. This, in turn, made several of my answers incorrect. Since determination of correct answers was done by a computer, I then had to follow up by phone and once again point out the errors on their part causing the subsequent errors on my part. Talk about wasting time, going in circles and making a bad impression by having to tell them of their error. They don't get back to you with any results so that YOU can learn from what they wanted. Very one sided. Not impressed with their HR.

Interview Questions

• Nothing. Just electronic tests and interaction. Way too impersonal.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in April 2015.

Interview

Basically put your information online. If you don't put Customer Loyalty Team as a choice, you will be waiting a long time for contact as that seems to be the real starting point.They have various "mixer" events while you wait where you can meet staff and they can meet you. Seems like a good idea, but if you start asking the "wrong" types of questions like "What do you think of the new managerial style Zappos has added?" You get evasive, nervous answers. I saw one "team member" actually look around to see who was nearby before giving a noncommittal answer. 1984? or KGB about?

If selected, you do an online song and dance with multiple testings of typing, grammar, and video interview. Very easy. Next you are asked to set up an interview, which in my case I had to email 3 times to get my recruiter to set a date. Interview day took about 5 hours as there were many, many candidates. Finally got a 2 on 1 interview with HR. Asked scenario and basic other questions. The people were nice, but seemed preprogrammed on what they wanted to hear.

Don't worry about your skills, education, background, experiences as none of it matters. They are more interested in who "fits" in their clubhouse. They ignore many wonderful people who would be a great asset to their company based on a short interview and opinion of the H.R. team. The pay offered is ridiculously low. ($11.00 an hour) but in fairness, you can increase it a tiny bit later on.

I liked Zappos. They seemed sincere, but lost in direction and focus on some very crucial aspects. They need to pay their people better, have better accountability, and get a more diverse work force rather than this overly narrow corporate culture. You need the strengths of both introverts and extroverts. Being (acting) upbeat all the time is not natural. Nothing is perfect and you should be able to state disagreements or flaws without fear of repercussions. I saw real fear in some of their employees if asked of real opinions. Read the other reviews to get an idea. The cracks are starting to show on this social experiment. Much like sustainability of Tony Hsieh's Downtown projects it will be interesting to see if this survives.

Software Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process took a month. It started with a recruiter call, then another recruiter call, then a hiring panel, then an in person interview. The salary is quite low. I was not expecting a million dollars, but to stay within industry standard would have been more acceptable than 50% of my current salary.

Interview Questions

• What is the title to your biography? What is your favorite core value?   Answer Question

Web Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview

Honestly the most non-sense and time-wasting interview experience. From the initial contact it took more than 2 months to move to the last final interview, and in between they make you jump through all the ridiculous hoops(IIRC more than 5 written tests, assessments, phone, and video call "intervierws") and making you answer questions largely unrelated to skills or past team experiences at all, claiming that they are trying to figure out the ever-mysterious and vague "cultural fit" part. For the very few questions that are related to skills or technical knowledge, they are like jokes. From the interactions with interviewers over the course, they seemed to be uninterested and disengaged in the conversations, and worse yet, did not have in-depth domain knowledge or maturity level you'd expect from your immediate management.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in March 2015.

Interview

They make you feel relaxed, and a lot of mizzions (missions). They really get to know you and they ask really off the wall interview questions, so you have to be ready and do your homework on the company. It is best to be you! Do not dress up for the final interview, if you make it that far.

Interview Questions

• What's your theme song and why? What makes you happy and why? What makes you laugh?   Answer Question

Catalog Exceptions Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in April 2015.

Interview

Initial communication was an email to complete an online questionnaire they to then scheduled the initial phone interview. I found the hiring Specialist incredibly pleasant. She informed me that in should let them know if u had any time lines like other interviews lined up to expedite the process. I mentioned a part time interview I was attending but that my goal was to get Zappos. I try to be very honest and forth coming.

I completed the online test easily enough. Every job applicant should have complete this as it shows your basic computer . abilities.

I moved forward to the technical phone interview. I was concerned about this as I have been a bit rusty with excel. However, there were minimal "technical" questions asked. I felt I asked more regarding b their team processes and how they integrate things into amazon.

Overall great experience and I'm certainly glad to have enjoyed some of the interview process.

Interview Questions

• What I would do if I was in the middle of a project and a parade came down by my desk? My response was laugh and cheer them on.   1 Answer
    • What would I do in a situation with little knowledge to fix a problem?   1 Answer