The Zappos Family Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

Product Management CollegeBusiness Development Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in February 2015.

Zappo's internship interview has been explained multiple times on the previous reviews:
    After passing the resume screening you go through a two part first step.

One part is the challenge. It varies with the role you are applying for. For the Product Management Intern role it consisted on coming up with a new product for Zappos, talking about the value proposition, the target market and the overall business model as well as making a prototype.

Another part is a virtual interview in which you are presented with questions, have time to think (30 sec) and then 1 to 2 minutes to answer, while being recorded via webcam. They are mostly behavioral questions to see if you are a match for the company. Some easy technical questions related to the position can also be expected.

I wasn't selected for the next part of the interview, so I can't talk much about that.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me more about yourself.
      Why Zappos?
      What do you look for in a Summer internship?
      What ways did you find to improve our website?

Answer Question

Advanced Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in February 2015.

There were two parts. 1) Challenge: Analyzing a dataset consisting of user behavior and purchases from different websites. 2) Virtual interview: You have to record your responses to 9 questions. The challenge was open ended. You can do a visualization, build a predictive model or do forecasting. Two weeks for the challenge and can be done in any language or software package.

Interview Questions
    • Q. Interview had 9 questions. First few were behavioral questions and the last ones are from basic statistics (like when do you choose median instead of mean? How to do decide on the sample size? etc.)   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at The Zappos Family in February 2015.

The process took a week, first contacted by the recruiter after that he helped to schedule the phone interview. Phone interview was very simple. Just the questions on core java. Interview lasted for more than an hour but it was very good. Not sure why I got rejected but I had fun!

Interview Questions
    • Simple questions on core java and one asked me to write a small program   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online through Zappos website, and then after 1-2 weeks I got online technical challenge for 4 hours coding (3 questions) and one virtual interview (6 behavior questions and 3 technical questions). The questions are not hard. It takes about one month for me to get an email to get to next round.

Interview Questions
    • They asked about your challenge you had before and some behavior question.   Answer Question

Android Development Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

1. Online virtual interview and coding challenge - to be finished within a week. Coding is challenging to me, but there is a week's time limit. Virtual interview is easy to answer. Just some interesting questions for company to know you.
    2. Onsite interview and tour

Interview Questions
    • We want to see if your skill-set aligns with the internship you're applying to. Ignore core value #10 for a minute and show us what you've got!

Please complete the challenge below and send it back to us by replying to this email with the completed the challenge.

One of the most important aspects of ecommerce and online retail is pricing. In order to increase purchases on their mobile app, Zappos is considering sending price notifications any time a saved/favorited item goes on sale!

Write a small application using the Zappos API that lets a user pick their desired product(s) and then notifies them when the price hit at least 20% off the original price.

In order to make calls to the Zappos API, you will need to use an API key. Please use the following API key when making these calls -

Answer Question

CLT Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

spent 7 months chasing this job, with a new 'mizzion' sent every couple weeks (online video questions, typing/personality tests, etc). Once called in, I was asked off the wall questions to make sure I fit in.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

I was contacted through their Insider program to apply for a Senior Financial Analyst position in Las Vegas. They said that even though I've already been a manager for 3 years, that I wasn't qualified enough since they require 5 years of experience. There was a manager spot open, but I really wanted to work here and I figured I'd take a step down just to get my foot in the door.

After I applied it took a MONTH to set up a virtual interview. This is one where you answer some predefined questions through your webcam that is recorded and reviewed later. It's awkward, but I understand wanted to get rid of weirdos early and not in person.

It then took ANOTHER MONTH, for them to review my virtual interview and contact me to tell me that I needed to take an Excel test. I took the test at home but it was very very simple. At my job we use this to make sure people are technically qualified, but this test was so easy I was a little nervous. I passed and that day they sent an email saying they'll set up an HR interview.

I talked to the HR lady (she was very nice) a week later and had a Skype interview two weeks after that with the two Finance Managers. Standard questions, nothing too crazy. One of them was nice but I got a weird vibe from the other one. But I passed and two weeks later I had my Interview in person.

They make you get there at 8:30a and the recruiter gives you a tour of the complex and explains their benefits. She was very nice and the place is AMAZING. Just a giant dorm room that you can work at. They told me to dress comfortably so I asked my friend who works there and he said nice jeans and a button up is fine. I had about 5 hours of interview both with two people and 1-on-1. You don't need to know anything about Zappos history at all because they don't ask about that. They ask personality and some logic questions.

It took ANOTHER month for them to let me know and i got the "no" email. Funny thing is that I've done over a hundred interviews (for my own department) and I've never performed better in my life, ever. Even one of the managers thought I was "too qualified" for the Senior role. So I was not qualified for Manager, but too qualified for Senior??

Interview Questions
    • How many gas stations are there in America?   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview process required a case as well as an online interview which was through an online video chat program.Good concept, but I felt like they couldn't really get to know me personally.

Interview Questions
    • The case was an unexpected topic for a company that sells fashion merchandise.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Awesome Experience great people, really friendly + its vegas! ... Interview process is easy and straight forward
    1. online round
    2. got a call to fly over
    3. 2 days @ vegas
    4. first day .... meet everyone + coding round
    5. 1 tech round + 1 hr
    6. got the offer in 7-8 days.

... got the offer

Interview Questions

I had other offers, they were paying quite less

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in January 2015.

Had to take a webcam interview some of which were technical questions. About 25 minutes. Then had to take 4 hour technical test online. 3 questions done through hacker rank. The whole process was about 2-3 weeks. One thing to keep in mind is that Zappos really cares about personality so make sure you seem upbeat and positive in the webcam interview.