The Zappos Family Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

Intern Interview

Interview

It is a very long and time consuming process with many different parts and steps. I personally did not like the interview process because majority of the application must be recorded and submitted online. There was very little personal interaction.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied online and submitted a resume and cover letter. A few weeks later, I received a Technical Challenge where I had to write some code using their API. When submitting the technical challenge you must also do a recorded video interview. If they like everything they will fly you out to Vegas for two days of interviews. Pretty standard questions. Nothing too difficult.

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard string/array questions. How can you determine if a string is a palindrome? Longest palindrome substring?   Answer Question

Higher paying position with another company

Front End Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Zappos Family in November 2014.

Interview

Video interview, the a coding challenge (create a responsive website). Flown out for onsite interviews / meet and greet with team. Two interviews, one with HR, one technical, both about an hour. Got an email a few weeks later with an offer

Interview Questions

• Just general knowledge of HTML5 and CSS3. CSS selectors, specificity, how many ways can you style this element, etc.   Answer Question

Merchandise Planner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in November 2014.

Interview

I applied through a reference from College. The first round was submitting a solution for a case study about merchandising and uploading an online interview (answering some questions which you had to record). For every position you apply you have a different case study. The online interview is recorded through an special web app so you can not record your answers more than once.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview

Note that this is what I went through for their 2013 season, might be different this year. The process begins at your temp agency and any prerequisite testing they might need. Afterwards you are set up to record and send an online interview. You're recorded on webcam, asked questions and given a time limit to answer. You can't redo the question, but you are in control of when the time limit counts down and are given a "practice round" you can watch beforehand. If you make it from there, you take a "speed interview" alongside other prospective employees that works similar to speed-dating. You sit down at a long table and answer questions from an interviewer for a few minutes then shuffle to a different one. If your interviewer finishes their list of questions before the time is up they'll try to make small talk which is almost a question itself. They're looking for how you interact on a personal level, personality and individuality is a big selling point. Get pass that and you're all done with only training left.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when an irate customer is asking for something that clearly goes against policy?   1 Answer

Outlet Operations Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview

Very cool process. The company gets to know personally and professionally taking the non-traditional approach. You're welcomed to be yourself, which lows the tension and nervousness during the interview.

Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

My interview process was around 5 months long, and I engaged in about 5 interviews during this period. All of them went well until the last one, when the person I was speaking with on the telephone seemed to be walking somewhere during the entire interview. She seemed out of breath during most of the call and was totally not engaged in our discussion. A few times, she actually asked me to hold on so she could speak with someone else that was in her presence. In general, it was an interesting experience, and all those I dealt with were very nice and respectful, except for the last person, who clearly had better things to do than interview me. Given the amount of time I spent on the entire process, and that I had progressively advanced to the next step with each interview, to be treated the way I was in the final interview was completely unprofessional and disrespectful at best. Like I said though, all my prior interviewers were wonderful, so keep that in mind when you read about my experience. If you can manage to avoid that one person (and any others like her), it seemed like a good company and an alright opportunity if Vegas is where you want to be.

Interview Questions

• One of my interviewers (the bad one) asked about my family and implied that Vegas probably isn't a good option for me. It was a bit shocking.   Answer Question

Product Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in September 2014.

Interview

Multiple phone interviews with recruiter and department managers as well as an "exercise" supposedly designed to determine your quality of work as a product manager. If you pass the "exercise," the next step is an all day in person interview.

Interview Questions

• The "exercise" was about entering a market, not about analyzing products and system processes. They expected market research rather than system analysis. This is atypical of what's expected of a tech product manager.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview

Applied online, got an email scheduling a Skype interview with me the following week. The Skype interview was with HR, and it went really well. It was basic stuff asking me about my education, knowledge of the particular position's skills, etc. I was then told that they wanted me to speak to two members of the Marketing department. I spoke with them later that week. It was very relaxed and comfortable for me. We discussed the position, Las Vegas, team building, etc. The seemed very impressed with my knowledge of Zappos culture, so study up!

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online through Zappos Website.Recruiter contacted me and scheduled for Telephonic Interview.Technical recruiter called and discussed about the job and my experiences mentioned in the resume.I was informed that my resume will be recommended for the next level of technical interview.One week later i got email telling i am not considered further .