The Zappos Family

The Zappos Family Interview Questions

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

Online application, 2 phone interviews, and a video interview

Interview Questions
    • What social event would you host for the merchandising team?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Got one online interview and one project after two days of application, the approaching email clearly indicates the Zappos culture- humorous

Interview Questions
    • what are two things you want to have if you are on a desert?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family in March 2014.

I applied online, then received an email to complete the video interview. The next stage was a culture fit phone interview with the recruiter. Next I had a phone interview with my potential manager. After that I skyped with two potential team members. Then I was asked to compete a skills test in excel. After all that they offered to fly me out to their headquarters in Las Vegas for an all-day interview (Zappos paid for all my transportation and lodging, it was so great)! While there I took a tour of the office, had another culture fit interview with another recruiter. I also had 2 other interviews with potential co-workers. Two people from my department took me out to lunch and gave me the scoop on what it is like to work there. I then had an interview with a colleague who held similar responsibilities to the role I was interviewing for. Then I met with my manager and the 2 team members I skyped with previously. It was a full, busy, magical day. A few days later I was asked for information to complete a background check, and after it cleared they made me a final offer.

Interview Questions
    • You're shrunk to the size of a nickel and thrown in a blender. The blades are going to star spinning in 60 seconds. What do you do?   View Answer

Buyer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in March 2014.

Applied online and submit a powerpoint. Next round was a screen interview. Talked to the screen and answered the question shown on the screen. You could try start over if the first time was a mess. The questions were almost the same as other interviewer said.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were behavior based. Some were related to the position you applied.   Answer Question

User Experience Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at The Zappos Family in March 2014.

The interview process mirrors Zappos itself - disorganized and chaotic with a lot of promise. There wasn't much coordination of the process/interview day and many of the interviews covered the same ground. Interview sessions that got into actual work were much more productive. The whole process is very long - ostensibly b/c they are "really getting to know you" but really just big gaps of no communication and a process clearly hindered by bureaucracy. However, many people who I met during the interview process transcended all that and confirmed Zappos was a place I wanted to work.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions were ones where the interviewer had a very specific answer in mind rather than seeking to understand the candidate's overall approach and thinking.   Answer Question
    Zappos salaries are below market, and there isn't much getting around that. However, there is some flexibility in signing bonus and relo costs.

Merchandising Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Zappos Family in March 2014.

Apply online, the recruiting team emails you and lets you know you have been selected for the second step which is the video interview, you have a few days to prepare, then you access the video review portal from a separate email link, the video interview is all electronic and there is no live interaction with another person, you are asked to answer about 8-10 questions, you can can practice a few times, then you are recorded and timed, submit your video recorded interview, wait for the recruiter to get back to you via email in a few days to let you know if you are selected or passed on.

Interview Questions
    • Do you consider yourself to be a lucky person? Why or Why not?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in March 2014.

A Challenge and an video interview

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

1st call HR basic HR related questions
    2nd call 24 hr coding test
    3rd call Hiring manager interview
    4th round - onsite technical interview

Technology Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in February 2014.

I received an e-mail notification couple days after the application. The e-mail asked me to fill out a questionnaire as the second step. The questions were about my experience as a Technology Project Manager. After the submission of the questionnaire, I received another e-mail and was scheduled to have a phone interview with one of the Technical Recruiters. The interview was for them to see if you fit the culture of the company and to know more about where you came from. After the interview with the Technical Recruiter, I was told that I won't be advanced to the next step but I asked question during the interview and knew that there will be another phone interview with the manager of this position and a homework exercise about project management. After all these, there will be on-site interview.

Merchandising Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in February 2014.

Video Interview

Interview Questions
    • After going to thee site what was good and what was bad?   View Answer