The Zappos Family

The Zappos Family Interview Questions

Updated Nov 9, 2014
Updated Nov 9, 2014

Business Development Intern Interview

Had a skype interview and then was asked to complete a project before moving on to the next round. It was a typical behavioral interview with a few questions relating to the company such as what types of advantages does having a headquarters in Vegas give a company. Interviewer and I had studied abroad in same city so that helped us connect.

Interview Questions
    • If you were given $500 to plan a company event what would it be and why?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in January 2014.

I applied in Zappos by vising their website and applying in jobvite. They asked me some cool questions in the form and I answered them. Then there was a dead silence for 2 months.

Out of the blue, suddenly I got an email that they want me to take a test. I gave the test. There was one question. Download images from their API and save them in your system. The trick was to do so in such a manner that it is deliverable to the customer. i.e. you have to follow all the guidelines and have to follow the OOP principles. I qualified that round.

Then they said that they want to interview me. The first round was HR round. We were scheduled for an hour talk. And we did. Boy that was fun. Best interview I ever had. The HR was impressed and I was impressed with him. After that interview I so wanted to join that company. I was thrilled.

Then I was contacted for another technical round. Two people were supposed to take my interview. Easy peasy. Now believe me, if they say that its not going to be any coding, only talking, don't believe them. In my interview they asked me to share a document and write codes there. But if you have done enough programming like me, it shouldn't be a problem. In the interview the guy asked me to "reverse a sentence". Very easy. I did that. But the mistake I did was (atleast what I think) is that I just wrote the code. You have to show them your thought process. So talk as much as you can. Explain why you did what you did. Show them more than one solution (or atleast tell them how you would do it). (The irony is that as soon as I kept the phone, suddenly I had these great alternatives that I could have told them which definitely would have made an impression. But alas, it was too late).
    Then the guy started asking me some SQL questions. Questions were easy, using "HAVING", "IN", "AGGREGATE FUNCTIONS", and "NESTED QUERIES". Now I know SQL, but it had been a while since I wrote anything in SQL. So I couldn't answer them. And that was a disaster. He immediately said that he now knows what he needed to know and he wants to terminate the interview.

3-4 days later, I received the saddest email, saying I was not fit. Which is true. I should have read SQL. I just didn't because I focused more on OOP and algorithms. But I am happy that atleast I was the "right cultural fit" for them (which is an accomplishment in its own).

I will definitely try Zappos again. Its one of the few companies which knows what a company should be like. Their culture and values are awesome, which for a uptight person might seem "unprofessional", but actually helps in keeping control in office and satisfying employees. I salute the CEO, which is the best (based on what I have read about him).

If an employee is seeing this, I LOVE YOU ZAPPOS. Thank you for having the best interview experience I ever had (Even though I did not get it).

Interview Questions
    • 1. SQL questions. If I had any idea that they could have asked SQL, I would have brushed up my skills.
      2. Why are you fit for our company ?
      3. In the first written test, it took me 10-15 minutes just to figure out how to make API calls. It was my first time ^_^
      4. Would you like to come "hiking", "running", "drinking" with me ? I answered yes, and actually invited him to take me to "bars" and "casinos" and "strip clubs", because I had never been to one. To my surprise, he said yes.
      PS: I was just testing them by my last question, whether they are as "cool" as they say they are. And my answer is they actually are.
        Answer Question

UI Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

The process began with a brief "cultural fit" phone interview with the recruiter. Followed weeks later by an hour long phone interview with a couple of employees from the Mobile Development Team. Months later, I received another request to schedule a phone interview with the complete Mobile Development Team that lasted another hour.

Interview Questions
    • What would you change about the current product experience?   Answer Question

Merchandise Planner Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in January 2014.

Month-long interview process included; Initial Application, Video Questionnaire, Initial Phone Screen (cultural fit), 2nd Phone Screen (job related); 3rd Interview via Skype; Very young employee culture where having fun and fitting in is probably more important that delivering value to the company. If you are looking to sit at your desk and get your work done with minimal distractions - this is not the place for you.

Android Development Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at The Zappos Family in January 2014.

Applied online get email after few days. They sent me 2 links: one is changelle test make a mobile app using their API. second link is virtual interview. I did not come out solution for the tes

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

WARNING -- If you are a true professional looking for a professional environment, this is NOT the company for you. If HOWEVER you are looking for young group of 'kids' to hang around with and have fun, this is probably a good gig for you. Just be prepared for a LONG, RIDICULOUS, JUVENILE, , and at times down right DEMEANING process!!!!

The process took about 6 weeks from the first submission of my resume to their online job site.
    Step 1: Apply Online
    Step 2: Complete an online questionnaire
    Step 3: Phone screen with HR - be prepared for lots of cultural questions
    Step 4: Complete an on-line application (redundant, yes, but it's the process)
    Step 5: Technical Interview
    Step 6: A 90 minute 'simulated' PM exercise. Yes it's timed
    Step 7: On-site Interview -- Prepare for a full 8+ hours of interviewing with various individuals with mostly standard type questions. Quite a bit of redundancy since many of the questions are repeated by various folks. There is a lunch in there, then back at it in the afternoon. You can even have a picture taken in a 'King's' Chair, or write a fabulous quote on their 'Wall of fame' Um, really?!?

Interview Questions
    • Oh there are sooooooooooo many who could keep track! Here are a few:

1. If you were a Superhero, who would you be and why?
      2. If you walked into a room and they were playing a theme song for you what would it be and why?
      3. If you had to go lunch with 3 people, living or dead, who would they be and why?

There many others, just continue along their interview process and you will see first hand!
        Answer Question

Merchandising Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Everything is handled through Jobvite initially. You apply for the job by answering 6 general questions along with your resume and a cover letter/video. Once prompted, you fill out the actual application which is a bit longer but covers work history, salary history and all of the standard contact and reference information. Along with the application you do a recorded question and answer session using Take The Interview. If you make it past this point, you move on to the phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • If you could be a superhero, which would you choose and why?   Answer Question

IOS Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

I applied online through Jobvite after seeing the position in their website. The first communication I had with them involved me filling out basically the exact same application I filled out initially, but including some of the aforementioned culture fit questions. I was then given a screener questionnaire with some basic questions about iOS development. A week later, I spoke with another recruiter for the cultural fit interview. I felt it went pretty well - the recruiter felt many of my responses were 'awesome'... too many of them, frankly. We had a nice banter about both Zappos's events and culture as well as some analogous culture in my workplace. The emphasis during the cultural interview seemed to be to ensure that you were comfortable working in a very laid back, college-y kind of environment. There were no real curveball questions. The recruiter told me to expect to hear back from the technical team the following week.

I received an email two days later that I had been rejected as other candidates were a better match. I can't imagine what kind of culture fit they are looking for in a candidate – apparently someone with a disingenuously voracious level of enthusiasm. I understand the focus of Zappos to ensure new hires are a good culture fit to the company, but the emphasis placed on culture seemed to be far too high.

Merchandising Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview process is very long. New interview every other week. Some of the questions they ask are odd and completely unrelated to the job.

Business Development Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The Zappos Family in November 2013.

I applied through my University recruiting website. I created a cover letter video to attempt to stand out, and that seemed to work for me. I was then directed to complete an online video interview of 8 rapidfire questions (you get 30 seconds to think and about 1 minute to answer. Then it saves and submits your video). You have to be ready for any question here, things like "If you were stranded on an island and had only 2 things, what would they be?" Also, there is an online case through the website "Mindsumo" that accompanies the hiring process. It will be specific to your position.

From there I was informed that I had received a final interview and they flew me out to Las Vegas. For two days, I met the team that you are applying to be a part of, and I got to know other company members and the Zappos campus. There is a "Culture interview" and a more professional, "position specific interview." I feel like both went very well, the culture interview had some unique personality questions like "if you could be doing anything in the world and money didn't matter, what would it be?"

No offer, but great experience. I knew it was going to be a different interview based on the culture, so I was prepared but it just didn't work out.

Interview Questions
    • "give us 2 ways to use a brick other than for building or as a paperweight."   Answer Question