The Zappos Family Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at The Zappos Family in February 2015.

Interview

The process took a week, first contacted by the recruiter after that he helped to schedule the phone interview. Phone interview was very simple. Just the questions on core java. Interview lasted for more than an hour but it was very good. Not sure why I got rejected but I had fun!

Interview Questions

• Simple questions on core java and one asked me to write a small program   Answer Question

CLT Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview

spent 7 months chasing this job, with a new 'mizzion' sent every couple weeks (online video questions, typing/personality tests, etc). Once called in, I was asked off the wall questions to make sure I fit in.

Android Development Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview

1. Online virtual interview and coding challenge - to be finished within a week. Coding is challenging to me, but there is a week's time limit. Virtual interview is easy to answer. Just some interesting questions for company to know you. 2. Onsite interview and tour

Interview Questions

• We want to see if your skill-set aligns with the internship you're applying to. Ignore core value #10 for a minute and show us what you've got! Please complete the challenge below and send it back to us by replying to this email with the completed the challenge. One of the most important aspects of ecommerce and online retail is pricing. In order to increase purchases on their mobile app, Zappos is considering sending price notifications any time a saved/favorited item goes on sale! Write a small application using the Zappos API that lets a user pick their desired product(s) and then notifies them when the price hit at least 20% off the original price. In order to make calls to the Zappos API, you will need to use an API key. Please use the following API key when making these calls -   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview

Interview process required a case as well as an online interview which was through an online video chat program.Good concept, but I felt like they couldn't really get to know me personally.

Interview Questions

• The case was an unexpected topic for a company that sells fashion merchandise.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview

Awesome Experience great people, really friendly + its vegas! ... Interview process is easy and straight forward 1. online round 2. got a call to fly over 3. 2 days @ vegas 4. first day .... meet everyone + coding round 5. 1 tech round + 1 hr 6. got the offer in 7-8 days. ... got the offer

Interview Questions

I had other offers, they were paying quite less

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Zappos Family in January 2015.

Interview

Interview Questions

• The first part of interview process was to make online video cover letter and give an online assessment test. If you would clear these two then would be invited for in person interviews. The online video cover letter had few interesting question to answer. In total there were 9-10 questions mostly based on HR. Online assessment was quite challenging. Required to solve coding question within time stipulations. Do prepare well for online assessment.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in January 2015.

Interview

Had to take a webcam interview some of which were technical questions. About 25 minutes. Then had to take 4 hour technical test online. 3 questions done through hacker rank. The whole process was about 2-3 weeks. One thing to keep in mind is that Zappos really cares about personality so make sure you seem upbeat and positive in the webcam interview.

CLT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in January 2015.

Interview

It was quirky and fun, I have never had such an abstract interview process. The interviewers were approachable and very open, there was a very nice atmosphere for this process and the job thus far has reflected the interview.

Design Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview

I was very excited to go to the in person interview. After the phone interview I had with the team I felt fairly confident and excited. I thought we really clicked and they knew my skill set etc. However I knew things had gone bad fairly quickly. First they have you come very early to do a tour of the building and they talk up why it's so great there. If I'm being honestly and I am, this is hard because you are nervous and tired and it seems all very pointless. The tour could be cut in half. Then they put you into a room to start the interviews with people. For me personally after a couple rounds of interviews with some of the team (3 people) we (the team and I) all went to lunch together. At this point I thought it was going fairly well. Not too terrible but not badly either. I was pretty nervous so it was hard to read. But then I knew about ten mins into the lunch that I wouldn't get the job when the person that would of been my boss barely could make eye contact with me. He seemed irritated by everything I said which made me even more nervous. Then I knew the nail was in the coffin when we got back to the offices he seemed irritated that he had to find out where I needed to go next. When I left to go on to interview with someone else he didn't even shake my hand or acknowledge my presence. At that very second I knew the rest of the day would be a pointless exercise. I thought well I'll use this opportunity to practice my interview skills. The rest of the day was pretty bad. Knowing early on that I was absolutely no way going to get an offer I basically stopped trying at all. Sad but true. The other people I met with must of got the memo that I was already in the no pile. Most of them didn't even bother to look up from their laptops when they spoke to me. It was all I could do to not run crying from the building.

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

24 Hrs coding challenge. HR interview Telephonic interview Onsite interview I applied online and I got a 24 Hrs coding challenge next day. 24 Hrs coding challenge was related to consuming their REST URLS and implement some Algorithms. I developed a NetBeans maven based web project using custom MVC (Servlet centric approach), used Jersey client API's, URL API's, some business service components, Controllers and presentation pages. I was selected in 24 Hrs coding challenge. Next step was HR telephonic interview - It was 30 mins non-technical interview. More focused on their company culture and core values. I was selected in HR telephonic interview. Next step-A technical phone interview with 3 Technical people- They asked me about my previous and current projects. Some basic Java questions- Interfaces, Abstract classes, Some design patterns some programming in a Shared Document. Exception handling Some SQL related questions & SQL Queries. One program was one basic series program- I solved recursively. They asked me a little bit about breaking condition and time complexity. Questions related to overloading and overriding. Basics of Object Oriented Programming. Some String related questions- Reverse a String Database - Some questions related to Database normalization and Some database quarries. My interview went well and interviews told me my interview was good and they want to see me for F2F interview and HR will contact you for next steps to come to Vegas for F2F. I was excited because everything went well. Unfortunately I got a rejection email. I tried to contact them but there was no reply from their side. During telephonic interview there was heavy disturbance in the communication line. It was very difficult for me to understand what they were saying. ________________________________________________________________________________________ For 24 Hrs coding challenge- Focus on architecture of the application before writing the code and spend some time on Algorithms, make components independent and reusable, create a documentation for APIs usage, add description of components and usage in your project in the document. Write your code as simple as possible. For String related questions Split function. Reversing in 3 ways , Looping, use a method of StringBuffer and the best solution implement your own Stack Data Structure. For Database related questions-Focus on Limit, Union and Sub Queries.