The Zappos Family Interview Questions in Las Vegas, NV

3.1

58 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

My interview process was around 5 months long, and I engaged in about 5 interviews during this period. All of them went well until the last one, when the person I was speaking with on the telephone seemed to be walking somewhere during the entire interview. She seemed out of breath during most of the call and was totally not engaged in our discussion. A few times, she actually asked me to hold on so she could speak with someone else that was in her presence. In general, it was an interesting experience, and all those I dealt with were very nice and respectful, except for the last person, who clearly had better things to do than interview me. Given the amount of time I spent on the entire process, and that I had progressively advanced to the next step with each interview, to be treated the way I was in the final interview was completely unprofessional and disrespectful at best. Like I said though, all my prior interviewers were wonderful, so keep that in mind when you read about my experience. If you can manage to avoid that one person (and any others like her), it seemed like a good company and an alright opportunity if Vegas is where you want to be.

Interview Questions
    • One of my interviewers (the bad one) asked about my family and implied that Vegas probably isn't a good option for me. It was a bit shocking.   Answer Question

CLT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

I applied for the CLT position right before Zappos changed their hiring practices. A friend of a friend sent me a text to tell me the link was up, and I applied online as quickly as possible. The link was gone 30 minutes after I heard about it! Within a few days I got an e-mail informing me that the first step in the process was for me to take two different online assessments. One was a typing test. I think you only had to be able to type 20 wpm. The second test was a grammar assessment. Both were simple and straight forward. The day after I'd taken the tests I got another e-mail letting me know I'd passed. The next step was a face to face interview! I interviewed with two different ladies. One did the "Culture" interview and the other did the "Technical" interview. My culture interview was a normal kind of job interview with a few "Zappos" type of questions. That lasted about 45 minutes. I wold definitely say remember to do your homework on the company before you go! Then it was on to the technical interview. That took place in a small room with a computer. She would give me scenarios and then watch as I used the Zappos website (or google) to find what the customer was looking for. It seemed like they were just checking to make sure you had a general understanding of how to work the internet! :) She also asked me some "What would you do" type of questions related to helping an escalated customer call. (Like a family going on vacation who didn't get their new shoes in time). I have a few friends. Then my interview was over and I was told they would be deciding within the week. I left the interview and went to a movie. When I got out I had an e-mail telling me I'd made it to the next step. The position was mine as long as I passed their employment verification and background checks. That process took about one week. After that I got a call officially offering me the position!

Interview Questions
    • Knowing what you know about Zappos Core Values, if you had to help me plan a fun themed event, what kind of event would it be?

In your previous jobs name a situation where you had an idea that was not well received by your fellow employees.
        Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Emphasis is on cultural fit so please be yourself as they value individuality. Overall interview process took 4 months with an online interview, video interview, several phone interviews and an onsite interview. Interviewers were polite, spunky and asked a lot of questions that revolve around technical experience as well as your work style. Best advice is to be prepared and be yourself.

Customer Loyalty Team Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family in August 2014.

I applied through a link posted to Facebook by a current employee. Initial application was somewhat lengthy and done online. It contained some off the wall questions - what would your theme song be, which superhero would you be. It gave you an idea of the feel of the company. Next was an automated online skills test and interview. After that I was called into the office for a face to face interview. Easily the most laid back, least anxiety producing interview ever. The 45 minute interview flew by and it felt just like having a chat with a friend. This is the 'culture' interview to make sure you are a good fit with the company. After that there was a quick 'technical' interview where I was asked to navigate the Zappos website and find information as well as finding info off the website. I got a call no more than a half hour after leaving the interview with the job offer.

No negotiation

CLT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in August 2014.

After I created my account through the Zappos Insiders site, I was eventually contacted by my recruiter and from there it was actually pretty fluid and quick. Anytime I sent and email to my recruiter she generally responded really fast, which was a pleasant surprise compared to other jobs. From there, I was given the links to my skills test as well as me creating a video interview.

The video interview itself wasn't intimidating, there is a time limit and no chance on 'do-overs' but the point is more about creativity and being yourself versus a rehearsal. There was also the typing test which eventually led to me being sent the last few parts of the process which also included writing a letter to Tony on why you believed you should be hired. Personally, I adored their application questions and getting the chance to write out answers like 'My favorite Superhero and why?'-- overall I enjoyed each step.

Once I'd submitted everything and moved through each point, I had my in-person interview which included another skills test with the computer. I had never been to Zappos' HQ before and I was honestly very astonished with how friendly everyone was. I've worked at alot of huge employee filled placed, but non that had that warmth behind the greetings. Heck, even the other guy that was there for an interview at the same time as me was very friendly (Me and him both actually were taken on and we're in the same training class now, giving me a friend/coworker right off the bat.)

The interview was amazing, my recruiter was a joy to meet in person and not only did I address your average Interview questions, but we talked and joked around. It was more like having a talk with a new friend getting to know them than it was an actual interview. We were having such a good time we didn't realize how much we'd been running over before I was suppose to switch to the other employee who was doing the skills portion.

Next up, you interview with another person where you sit at the computer and take on mock call situations while navigating Zappos. It was the first I'd ever actually been put in that situation, but it was actually really cool to see them interested in gauging a person's ability and desire to empathize, navigate, and also accommodate the customer. After everything was said and done, I felt really good about it all and in all honest I had never had so much fun on an interview.

It only took a couple days before I heard back, the last parts being the need to run my background check. That all went smoothly and I was given my offer.

All and all, it was an awesome experience and I only wish more places tackled their recruiting process like Zappos.

Interview Questions
    • If I was going to hold a parade, what would the theme be and why?   Answer Question

Junior Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Zappos Family in July 2014.

Went through two online applications before being asked for a phone interview. After the phone interview I heard back about a week later that they wanted me to come in and meet the team. Both HR Insiders I talked to were really helpful and responded pretty dang fast if I had a question.

Being a Las Vegas local, I got to their offices on my own. Their front desk staff is very welcoming and their campus is pretty awesome. The whole day was pretty cool being able to meet the team. You go through quite the wringer of interviews and conversations. One employee clearly didn't want to be a part of the interview process, but the rest were really informative and chill.

Interview Questions
    • If you or someone else wrote a biography of your life, what would the title be?   View Answer

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Hr interview is 100% culture focused. It is a very important part of the entire interview process. Without passing the culture interview, no matter how strong you are technically, you won't get the job.

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

I had three phone interviews and then was flown out to Vegas. The trip has 2 layovers coming from the east coast- they don’t want to spend the money for a direct flight. The interview process was straight forward, met with lots of team members. They contacted me right away to offer me a DIFFERENT position than what I interviewed for at significantly less money. I was not pleased. I would not have wasted my time flying 10 hours each way for such a paltry offer (lower than I was previously told!), considering the amount of experience I bring to the table- it is buying, not cardiac surgery.

Interview Questions

The company boasts record sales, but want good talent cheap. Also, had reservations about moving all the way to Vegas, considering they have armed policeman stationed at the entrance. What does that really say about the area?

User Experience Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at The Zappos Family in March 2014.

The interview process mirrors Zappos itself - disorganized and chaotic with a lot of promise. There wasn't much coordination of the process/interview day and many of the interviews covered the same ground. Interview sessions that got into actual work were much more productive. The whole process is very long - ostensibly b/c they are "really getting to know you" but really just big gaps of no communication and a process clearly hindered by bureaucracy. However, many people who I met during the interview process transcended all that and confirmed Zappos was a place I wanted to work.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions were ones where the interviewer had a very specific answer in mind rather than seeking to understand the candidate's overall approach and thinking.   Answer Question
    Zappos salaries are below market, and there isn't much getting around that. However, there is some flexibility in signing bonus and relo costs.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in March 2014.

A Challenge and an video interview