The Zappos Family

Average Difficulty
14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Merchandising Assistant

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview Details – I applied online and submitted my resumé, a virtual interview, a video cover letter, as well as an online Sumo challenge. After reviewing my application, I moved on to the next round, where Zappos flew out the candidates to Las Vegas to interview for two days. The first day was spent doing activities and meeting Zappos employees and the second day was interview day. You could interview with one or more teams, in addition to having a culture interview, so a total of two or more interviews. After interviewing, Zappos flew us back home. About a week and a half later, we heard back if we had received an offer. The whole process was awesome and really on-par with the Zappos culture. Zappos really wants to make sure their employees and interns are culture fits, while still have the work hard, play hard mentality. If you're looking for a stiff, corporate atmosphere in a cubicle setting, Zappos isn't the place for you (but who really wants that?). Overall, it was a great experience!

Interview Question – What two things would you bring if you were on a deserted island?   Answer Question

Merchandising Assistant

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview Details – The interview process was simple until it came to the video interview. The initial interview where they asked questions on paper were a bit misleading at first as they didn't have much to do with the job, but the web interview was very on point. However, I received an email a week after I had submitted my video (and received confirmation that my video was received), saying that since I "had not submitted" my interview, I was removed from the pool of consideration. Even after I emailed several times inquiring as to where my interview might have gone, and offering to resubmit by the next morning (even though I got the email at 10 pm), I was not contacted again.

Interview Question – What is something weird that makes you happy?   Answer Question

Interviewed at The Zappos Family

Interview Details – Online application, 2 phone interviews, and a video interview

Interview Question – What social event would you host for the merchandising team?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Merchandising Assistant

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family in February 2014.

Interview Details – Video Interview

Interview Question – After going to thee site what was good and what was bad?   View Answer

Merchandising Assistant

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview Details – Everything is handled through Jobvite initially. You apply for the job by answering 6 general questions along with your resume and a cover letter/video. Once prompted, you fill out the actual application which is a bit longer but covers work history, salary history and all of the standard contact and reference information. Along with the application you do a recorded question and answer session using Take The Interview. If you make it past this point, you move on to the phone interview.

Interview Question – If you could be a superhero, which would you choose and why?   Answer Question

Merchandising Assistant

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview Details – Interview process is very long. New interview every other week. Some of the questions they ask are odd and completely unrelated to the job.

Interview Question – What would you do on your day off.   Answer Question

Assistant Merchandiser Interview

Assistant Merchandiser
Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Zappos Family in May 2013.

Interview Details – The culture at zappos is key to getting in the door. The first "interview" will be via the Internet and it will be a timed and recorded interview via webcam where they ask you a question, give you a moment to collect your thoughts and then record your answer--once recorded you can not go back and change your answer --I was asked 4 untraditional questions. "Describe your perfect weekend" "what would be your theme song"

Interview Question – Which one of their "core values" would be most difficult for you to uphold   Answer Question

Merchandising Assistant

Interview Details – I applied online back in November and was contacted for a video interview a few days after. That went well. Then I had a string of phone interviews, group phone interviews, etc. Each conversation was pleasant. I eventually was set to fly out with the company for an interview and a day or so later I was told they closed the requisition for the position but I was referred to their sister site for another position as a MA. I began phone interviews again...and eventually was asked to join them in person.

They paid for my travel and hotel and took me to lunch the next day (lunch was an interview). The interview was from 9 AM - 3:45 PM. I met with about 12-15 people. Honestly, everything seemed like a blur with a lot of the same questions being asked. You can definitely tell they are looking for consistency and if you would be a good fit within the company. Everyone was very friendly and everyone appeared to be happy to be there. Lots of smiles and kind words. I also took an assessment of my ability to navigate through the website, not hard at all. I was made to feel very comfortable. Overall, the entire process took about 2.5 months.

In terms of the actual offer presented to me, I was offered $13/hr with company paid benefits and food is free on site. This would be a great offer if I were recently out of college but for a twenty something it is not enough money to get by on, especially with no relocation assistance moving across country. I have legit bills form undergrad and graduate school, car note, etc. They definitely pay below the industry average especially when the MA is actually working as an Assistant Buyer. Money isn't everything but in this case it was a NO for me even if I were offered the position. I couldn't afford to take a huge risk for low pay and at an hourly rate.

I really have nothing bad to say. It's obviously very buddy buddy and you can see how maybe work ethic and merit could be overlooked if you're not BFF's with the right people. But it works for some. They all say they loved hanging out with each other after work etc.

I actually met an intern a few months back that worked here and she said work ethic wasn't valued and everyone was essentially playing a part to get by, partied all the time, kinda high school mentality, she said it wasn't a great fit for her...who knows? I can't speak to that aspect.

I wasn't offered the position and I can't say I'm too broken up about it to be honest. There's plenty of other opportunities but if you can get it and fit the specifics they are looking for you will be just fine.

Interview Question – What are your favorite curse words?
Name two ways to use a brick that don't involve labor.
Can you sell me this Blackberry over this iPhone?
Why shouldn't we hire you?
  Answer Question

Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family in August 2012.

Interview Details – I am waiting for my second phone interview today. The first phone interview was a great experience. The woman I spoke to was from HR and so sweet. We had a fun conversation. The scariest thing about a phone interview to me is not being able to see the facial expression on your interviewer but I could hear it in her voice. I had a very nice time speaking with her.

Interview Question – If a parade starts behind you while you are on the phone with a vendor how do you handle it?   View Answer

Merchandise Assistant Interview

Merchandise Assistant
Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Zappos Family in February 2012.

Interview Details – HR person was confrontational and abrupt. When asked what my career goals were, I told her to work in buying and possibly transition into merchandising after that foundation was set. She informed me that that was not a viable career path...I'm sorry but any form of career path is viable if thats the way you want to go! I'm glad they felt the same as I did about them as it saved me from declining a terrible job. $13 an hour is the "salary"...not industry standard by a long shot.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Zappos Family

Worked for The Zappos Family? Contribute to the Community!

The Zappos Family Videos

The Zappos Family – Why Work for Us?

Why join us? In January 2012, Zappos.com, Inc. and its subsidiaries were named #11 on FORTUNE’s 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Find out why: http://www.Fortune.com/BestCompanies. And . . . we’re hiring like crazy… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Zappos Family Merchandising Assistant interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by The Zappos Family employees and interview candidates.