The Zappos Family Merchandising Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Sep 4, 2014

3.2

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Merchandising Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Zappos Family in March 2014.

Apply online, the recruiting team emails you and lets you know you have been selected for the second step which is the video interview, you have a few days to prepare, then you access the video review portal from a separate email link, the video interview is all electronic and there is no live interaction with another person, you are asked to answer about 8-10 questions, you can can practice a few times, then you are recorded and timed, submit your video recorded interview, wait for the recruiter to get back to you via email in a few days to let you know if you are selected or passed on.

Interview Questions
  • Do you consider yourself to be a lucky person? Why or Why not?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for The Zappos Family

Merchandising Assistant Interview

Extensive. Application, video cover letter, Merchandising challenge, online interview, flew out to company to interview with specific teams (it varied, but I had 5) and a culture interview with HR.

Interview Questions
    • If you stuck on an island and you had to pick two items to have with you...   View Answer
    Do it! It's a great experience and you will not regret it.

Merchandising Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

I applied online and submitted my resumé, a virtual interview, a video cover letter, as well as an online Sumo challenge. After reviewing my application, I moved on to the next round, where Zappos flew out the candidates to Las Vegas to interview for two days. The first day was spent doing activities and meeting Zappos employees and the second day was interview day. You could interview with one or more teams, in addition to having a culture interview, so a total of two or more interviews. After interviewing, Zappos flew us back home. About a week and a half later, we heard back if we had received an offer. The whole process was awesome and really on-par with the Zappos culture. Zappos really wants to make sure their employees and interns are culture fits, while still have the work hard, play hard mentality. If you're looking for a stiff, corporate atmosphere in a cubicle setting, Zappos isn't the place for you (but who really wants that?). Overall, it was a great experience!

Interview Questions
    • What two things would you bring if you were on a deserted island?   Answer Question

Merchandising Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

The interview process was simple until it came to the video interview. The initial interview where they asked questions on paper were a bit misleading at first as they didn't have much to do with the job, but the web interview was very on point. However, I received an email a week after I had submitted my video (and received confirmation that my video was received), saying that since I "had not submitted" my interview, I was removed from the pool of consideration. Even after I emailed several times inquiring as to where my interview might have gone, and offering to resubmit by the next morning (even though I got the email at 10 pm), I was not contacted again.

Online application, 2 phone interviews, and a video interview

Interview Questions
    • What social event would you host for the merchandising team?   Answer Question

Merchandising Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family in February 2014.

Video Interview

Interview Questions
    • After going to thee site what was good and what was bad?   View Answer

Merchandising Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Everything is handled through Jobvite initially. You apply for the job by answering 6 general questions along with your resume and a cover letter/video. Once prompted, you fill out the actual application which is a bit longer but covers work history, salary history and all of the standard contact and reference information. Along with the application you do a recorded question and answer session using Take The Interview. If you make it past this point, you move on to the phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • If you could be a superhero, which would you choose and why?   Answer Question

Merchandising Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview process is very long. New interview every other week. Some of the questions they ask are odd and completely unrelated to the job.

Assistant Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Zappos Family in May 2013.

The culture at zappos is key to getting in the door. The first "interview" will be via the Internet and it will be a timed and recorded interview via webcam where they ask you a question, give you a moment to collect your thoughts and then record your answer--once recorded you can not go back and change your answer --I was asked 4 untraditional questions. "Describe your perfect weekend" "what would be your theme song"

Interview Questions
    • Which one of their "core values" would be most difficult for you to uphold   Answer Question

Merchandising Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

I applied online back in November and was contacted for a video interview a few days after. That went well. Then I had a string of phone interviews, group phone interviews, etc. Each conversation was pleasant. I eventually was set to fly out with the company for an interview and a day or so later I was told they closed the requisition for the position but I was referred to their sister site for another position as a MA. I began phone interviews again...and eventually was asked to join them in person.

They paid for my travel and hotel and took me to lunch the next day (lunch was an interview). The interview was from 9 AM - 3:45 PM. I met with about 12-15 people. Honestly, everything seemed like a blur with a lot of the same questions being asked. You can definitely tell they are looking for consistency and if you would be a good fit within the company. Everyone was very friendly and everyone appeared to be happy to be there. Lots of smiles and kind words. I also took an assessment of my ability to navigate through the website, not hard at all. I was made to feel very comfortable. Overall, the entire process took about 2.5 months.

In terms of the actual offer presented to me, I was offered $13/hr with company paid benefits and food is free on site. This would be a great offer if I were recently out of college but for a twenty something it is not enough money to get by on, especially with no relocation assistance moving across country. I have legit bills form undergrad and graduate school, car note, etc. They definitely pay below the industry average especially when the MA is actually working as an Assistant Buyer. Money isn't everything but in this case it was a NO for me even if I were offered the position. I couldn't afford to take a huge risk for low pay and at an hourly rate.

I really have nothing bad to say. It's obviously very buddy buddy and you can see how maybe work ethic and merit could be overlooked if you're not BFF's with the right people. But it works for some. They all say they loved hanging out with each other after work etc.

I actually met an intern a few months back that worked here and she said work ethic wasn't valued and everyone was essentially playing a part to get by, partied all the time, kinda high school mentality, she said it wasn't a great fit for her...who knows? I can't speak to that aspect.

I wasn't offered the position and I can't say I'm too broken up about it to be honest. There's plenty of other opportunities but if you can get it and fit the specifics they are looking for you will be just fine.

Interview Questions
    • What are your favorite curse words?
      Name two ways to use a brick that don't involve labor.
      Can you sell me this Blackberry over this iPhone?
      Why shouldn't we hire you?
        Answer Question

Worked for The Zappos Family? Contribute to the Community!