The Zappos Family

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied in Zappos by vising their website and applying in jobvite. They asked me some cool questions in the form and I answered them. Then there was a dead silence for 2 months.

Out of the blue, suddenly I got an email that they want me to take a test. I gave the test. There was one question. Download images from their API and save them in your system. The trick was to do so in such a manner that it is deliverable to the customer. i.e. you have to follow all the guidelines and have to follow the OOP principles. I qualified that round.

Then they said that they want to interview me. The first round was HR round. We were scheduled for an hour talk. And we did. Boy that was fun. Best interview I ever had. The HR was impressed and I was impressed with him. After that interview I so wanted to join that company. I was thrilled.

Then I was contacted for another technical round. Two people were supposed to take my interview. Easy peasy. Now believe me, if they say that its not going to be any coding, only talking, don't believe them. In my interview they asked me to share a document and write codes there. But if you have done enough programming like me, it shouldn't be a problem. In the interview the guy asked me to "reverse a sentence". Very easy. I did that. But the mistake I did was (atleast what I think) is that I just wrote the code. You have to show them your thought process. So talk as much as you can. Explain why you did what you did. Show them more than one solution (or atleast tell them how you would do it). (The irony is that as soon as I kept the phone, suddenly I had these great alternatives that I could have told them which definitely would have made an impression. But alas, it was too late).
Then the guy started asking me some SQL questions. Questions were easy, using "HAVING", "IN", "AGGREGATE FUNCTIONS", and "NESTED QUERIES". Now I know SQL, but it had been a while since I wrote anything in SQL. So I couldn't answer them. And that was a disaster. He immediately said that he now knows what he needed to know and he wants to terminate the interview.

3-4 days later, I received the saddest email, saying I was not fit. Which is true. I should have read SQL. I just didn't because I focused more on OOP and algorithms. But I am happy that atleast I was the "right cultural fit" for them (which is an accomplishment in its own).

I will definitely try Zappos again. Its one of the few companies which knows what a company should be like. Their culture and values are awesome, which for a uptight person might seem "unprofessional", but actually helps in keeping control in office and satisfying employees. I salute the CEO, which is the best (based on what I have read about him).

If an employee is seeing this, I LOVE YOU ZAPPOS. Thank you for having the best interview experience I ever had (Even though I did not get it).

Interview Question – 1. SQL questions. If I had any idea that they could have asked SQL, I would have brushed up my skills.
2. Why are you fit for our company ?
3. In the first written test, it took me 10-15 minutes just to figure out how to make API calls. It was my first time ^_^
4. Would you like to come "hiking", "running", "drinking" with me ? I answered yes, and actually invited him to take me to "bars" and "casinos" and "strip clubs", because I had never been to one. To my surprise, he said yes.
PS: I was just testing them by my last question, whether they are as "cool" as they say they are. And my answer is they actually are.
  Answer Question

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview Details – online test, online interview, and then 2-to-1 phone interview.

Interview Question – Asked me to use object oriented concepts to design a car park.   Answer Question

Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Zappos Family in August 2011.

Interview Details – I do not live near Zappos headquarters. So a hiring manager called me for a phone screen. After a few questions about my education, the kind of work I do and why I was interested in Zappos, the technical portion of the interview began - abruptly. "What is an interface"? How is the keyword final used? The questions were very basic, low level Java questions. What is encapsulation? What are the benefits to using interfaces? Some basic object-oriented design/programming questions.

The interviewer was a manager and he was not particularly affable.

Overall, I was disappointed. The website and videos on YouTube give the impression of people there being funl knowledgeable engineers. From the questions asked it seemed like they were looking for a book-read newbie that can recite full definitions off the top of their heads, but actual coding skill optional.

Interview Question – What is encapsulation   View Answer

Software Developer

I applied online - interviewed at The Zappos Family in May 2013.

Interview Details – Applied on their website, they replied within 5 days asking for my availability for an interview. Spoke to an HR woman from Zappos, she wasn't part of the team that was hiring for the position. She placed a huge emphasis on culture. Here are the questions I remember:

* What do you know about Zappos? Have you seen our site? What do you think of our site?
* Are you familiar with the Zappos values? I've read Delivering Happiness so I was able to answer some of the values
* Are you okay with spending your first month at Zappos in our call center? Why do you think we make new hires do this?
* Are you okay with spending some time around Christmas season in the call center to help out?
* On a scale from 1 to 10, rate your proficiency with the following languages
* On a scale from 1 to 10, how weird are you and why?

Interview Question – If you're in a room meeting with your team and a bunch of people in costumes show up, what would you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered additional interviews and I'm still in the secondary interview process.

Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview Details – The initial round was a coding test. I had 3 hours to implement a simple cache. The next round was HR where i was asked about my background and HR questions. Read a bit about the company and its culture before giving the interview. They care a lot about maintaining the company culture.

Interview Question – On a scale of 1-10 how weird are you and why?   Answer Question

Worked for The Zappos Family? Contribute to the Community!