The Zappos Family

Updated Nov 28, 2014

2.8

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied through other source – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

24 Hrs coding challenge.
HR interview
Telephonic interview
Onsite interview

I applied online and I got a 24 Hrs coding challenge next day. 24 Hrs coding challenge was related to consuming their REST URLS and implement some Algorithms. I developed a NetBeans maven based web project using custom MVC (Servlet centric approach), used Jersey client API's, URL API's, some business service components, Controllers and presentation pages.
I was selected in 24 Hrs coding challenge.

Next step was HR telephonic interview - It was 30 mins non-technical interview. More focused on their company culture and core values. I was selected in HR telephonic interview.

Next step-A technical phone interview with 3 Technical people- They asked me about my previous and current projects.

Some basic Java questions- Interfaces, Abstract classes, Some design patterns some programming in a Shared Document. Exception handling Some SQL related questions & SQL Queries.

One program was one basic series program- I solved recursively. They asked me a little bit about breaking condition and time complexity.

Questions related to overloading and overriding.

Basics of Object Oriented Programming.

Some String related questions- Reverse a String

Database - Some questions related to Database normalization and Some database quarries.

My interview went well and interviews told me my interview was good and they want to see me for F2F interview and HR will contact you for next steps to come to Vegas for F2F. I was excited because everything went well. Unfortunately I got a rejection email. I tried to contact them but there was no reply from their side.

During telephonic interview there was heavy disturbance in the communication line. It was very difficult for me to understand what they were saying.
________________________________________________________________________________________

For 24 Hrs coding challenge- Focus on architecture of the application before writing the code and spend some time on Algorithms, make components independent and reusable, create a documentation for APIs usage, add description of components and usage in your project in the document. Write your code as simple as possible.

For String related questions
Split function.
Reversing in 3 ways , Looping, use a method of StringBuffer and the best solution implement your own Stack Data Structure.

For Database related questions-Focus on Limit, Union and Sub Queries.

Other Interview Reviews for The Zappos Family

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in November 2014.

Applied online and submitted a resume and cover letter. A few weeks later, I received a Technical Challenge where I had to write some code using their API. When submitting the technical challenge you must also do a recorded video interview. If they like everything they will fly you out to Vegas for two days of interviews. Pretty standard questions. Nothing too difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard string/array questions. How can you determine if a string is a palindrome? Longest palindrome substring?   Answer Question

Higher paying position with another company

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

1st call HR basic HR related questions
    2nd call 24 hr coding test
    3rd call Hiring manager interview
    4th round - onsite technical interview

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in October 2013.

My first 'application' was on Jobvite; a poorly designed website which converted my DOC-format into plain text (requiring a re-write), with 'hundreds' of boxes to fill out, and one of the most clumsy user-interfaces I've ever seen.

A week later I received a non-personal email asking me to fill out another questionnaire, which asked for information I had already submitted (and also contained on my resume), and many personal questions. When I finally reached the end, the website gave me an error and erased my progress. This same email also indicated they wished me to complete yet another survey, within a 48-hour time period.

With red-flags everywhere, the process demonstrated to me that this company did not value my time, nor take me seriously, so I abandoned the application.

Thankfully I 'quit' when I did, because the reviews here confirm everything I suspected. Apparently, I was barely 10% through their process & they treat the "awesomeness" of their company as compensation alone. I don't mean to sound cynical, but I've heard the sales pitch way too many times "work your ass off for my awesome company, get paid in awesome-publicity!"

As if any confirmation is needed, reading these reviews, they're low pay, no salary-negotiation, and as another review stated "Zappos' philosophy is that you should want to work there beyond a paycheck."

Interview Questions
    • Lots of personal question & questions about favorite super-heroes.   Answer Question

The Zappos Family Response

Oct 11, 2013Sourcer

We apologize for the bad experience. Thanks for sharing, we value all feedback and just know that we are always trying to improve and streamline our process. LH

Software Engineer Interview

I went through a full day interview process, with 2-3 people interviewing per hour. There were logic questions, coding on whiteboard (algorithms and SQL), and design questions. There were a couple slots where it was just general questions and talking about previous projects, which was a nice break from having to code all the time. They also throw in a culture interview with the HR rep at some point in the day as well.

Interview Questions
    • Interesting unexpected questions to see if you're a "culture fit"   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

get a phone call from Hr and receive a test. This is to use Zappos api to implement the image downloading stuff.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Phone screen followed by in person interviews. In person interviews consist of 4-5 rounds of 1-2 people per round. Most of the questions are VERY easy. In fact I was told to stop interviewing here due to asking too difficult of questions ( Asymptotic runtime analysis for example was considered "too hard")

Interview Questions
    • Probably like count the words in a book, or reverse a string.. very simple stuff.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in February 2013.

This interview was for a Java/J2EE developer role. Most of the "technical questions" were the pedantic rote api memorization types of questions you'll get during almost all job interviews today. What is the difference between a HashMap and a Hashtable? Collection class ... blah blah blah. If you have memorized the Java Platform SE 6 API, just shy of 4000 classes, you shouldn't have a problem with interviewing at Zappos.

Interview Questions
    • I wouldn't call any of the questions difficult or unexpected. I rather call them, useless and/or uninteresting. Questions that could easily be answered with a single Google search or found in your IDE javadocs or within the petabyte of java code available on the web.   View Answer
    • There were also some SQL questions. e.g. If you had a table of student data and a table of student classes how would you combine them? Not join a student to his classes, simply "combine them".   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

interviewed at The Zappos Family in September 2012.

The first interview was all culture. My interviewer was extremely friendly and down-to-earth. She mainly just wanted to listen to me talk about myself, so it was a very relaxing, natural conversation. Have yet to do the technical "online activity".

Interview Questions
    • If there were to be a movie about yourself, what would that movie be like?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Henderson, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Henderson, NV

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in August 2012.

I interviewed with one of their cultural fit members for about an hour, then had several interviews with developers from various teams.

Interview Questions
    • There are two ropes, each rope takes 1 hour to burn. But either rope has different densities at different points, so there’s no guarantee of consistency in the time it takes different sections within the rope to burn.   View Answer