The Zappos Family Software Engineer Interview Questions

2.9

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

1st call HR basic HR related questions
2nd call 24 hr coding test
3rd call Hiring manager interview
4th round - onsite technical interview

Other Interview Reviews for The Zappos Family

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family in October 2013.

My first 'application' was on Jobvite; a poorly designed website which converted my DOC-format into plain text (requiring a re-write), with 'hundreds' of boxes to fill out, and one of the most clumsy user-interfaces I've ever seen.

A week later I received a non-personal email asking me to fill out another questionnaire, which asked for information I had already submitted (and also contained on my resume), and many personal questions. When I finally reached the end, the website gave me an error and erased my progress. This same email also indicated they wished me to complete yet another survey, within a 48-hour time period.

With red-flags everywhere, the process demonstrated to me that this company did not value my time, nor take me seriously, so I abandoned the application.

Thankfully I 'quit' when I did, because the reviews here confirm everything I suspected. Apparently, I was barely 10% through their process & they treat the "awesomeness" of their company as compensation alone. I don't mean to sound cynical, but I've heard the sales pitch way too many times "work your ass off for my awesome company, get paid in awesome-publicity!"

As if any confirmation is needed, reading these reviews, they're low pay, no salary-negotiation, and as another review stated "Zappos' philosophy is that you should want to work there beyond a paycheck."

Interview Questions
    • Lots of personal question & questions about favorite super-heroes.   Answer Question

The Zappos Family Response

Oct 11, 2013Sourcer

We apologize for the bad experience. Thanks for sharing, we value all feedback and just know that we are always trying to improve and streamline our process. LH

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Henderson, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Henderson, NV

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family in August 2012.

I interviewed with one of their cultural fit members for about an hour, then had several interviews with developers from various teams.

Interview Questions
    • There are two ropes, each rope takes 1 hour to burn. But either rope has different densities at different points, so there’s no guarantee of consistency in the time it takes different sections within the rope to burn.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I went through a full day interview process, with 2-3 people interviewing per hour. There were logic questions, coding on whiteboard (algorithms and SQL), and design questions. There were a couple slots where it was just general questions and talking about previous projects, which was a nice break from having to code all the time. They also throw in a culture interview with the HR rep at some point in the day as well.

Interview Questions
    • Interesting unexpected questions to see if you're a "culture fit"   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

get a phone call from Hr and receive a test. This is to use Zappos api to implement the image downloading stuff.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Phone screen followed by in person interviews. In person interviews consist of 4-5 rounds of 1-2 people per round. Most of the questions are VERY easy. In fact I was told to stop interviewing here due to asking too difficult of questions ( Asymptotic runtime analysis for example was considered "too hard")

Interview Questions
    • Probably like count the words in a book, or reverse a string.. very simple stuff.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family in February 2013.

This interview was for a Java/J2EE developer role. Most of the "technical questions" were the pedantic rote api memorization types of questions you'll get during almost all job interviews today. What is the difference between a HashMap and a Hashtable? Collection class ... blah blah blah. If you have memorized the Java Platform SE 6 API, just shy of 4000 classes, you shouldn't have a problem with interviewing at Zappos.

Interview Questions
    • I wouldn't call any of the questions difficult or unexpected. I rather call them, useless and/or uninteresting. Questions that could easily be answered with a single Google search or found in your IDE javadocs or within the petabyte of java code available on the web.   View Answer
    • There were also some SQL questions. e.g. If you had a table of student data and a table of student classes how would you combine them? Not join a student to his classes, simply "combine them".   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

interviewed at The Zappos Family in September 2012.

The first interview was all culture. My interviewer was extremely friendly and down-to-earth. She mainly just wanted to listen to me talk about myself, so it was a very relaxing, natural conversation. Have yet to do the technical "online activity".

Interview Questions
    • If there were to be a movie about yourself, what would that movie be like?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Henderson, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Henderson, NV

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family in July 2012.

Had several interviews, was taken out to lunch.

Interview Questions
    • Asked some basic object oriented questions, as well as SQL queries. Of course they threw in a few brain teasers that have 0 to do with writing code.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The Zappos Family in May 2011.

Round 1 was a phone interview with the hiring manager. That was the pretty standard easy interview that gets your foot in the door at any company. Nothing too difficult was asked, it's mostly about gauging your interest and hearing about the job.

Round 2 is the tricky bit. It's a HR interview that tries to figure out if you're the physical incarnation of their fabled company values. If I were you, I'd have a story ready for each one of them because the interviewer expects you to ramble on and hang yourself if you don't have good answers. I've never talked to a shrink but I got a feeling it is very similar. They ask a lot of deceptively simple questions whose answers probably don't really matter on the surface.

I think round 3 is a technical phone screen; round 4 is a in person interview, and round 5 is a flight to the mothership.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about what you've been doing and what was your favorite project.   View Answer
    • On a scale of 1-10 how weird are you?   View Answer
    • If you could be a superhero which one would you be and why? You can't pick superman, batman, or spiderman.   Answer Question
    • Rate yourself from 1-10 on technical skill X and why?

Some of the topics were XHTML, server programming, javascript, hand coding (as opposed to what? feet coding???)
        View Answer

Worked for The Zappos Family? Contribute to the Community!