The Zappos Family User Experience Interview Questions

Updated Mar 10, 2015

User Experience Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview

I submitted the online video interview and was notified about a month later that I got an in-person interview in Las Vegas. They flew me and a bunch of other intern candidates out for 2 days of touring and interviewing. We met with our prospective teams and really got to know the company and the culture. I had a role interview and a culture interview. Everyone was really nice.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for The Zappos Family

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in March 2014.

Interview

The interview process mirrors Zappos itself - disorganized and chaotic with a lot of promise. There wasn't much coordination of the process/interview day and many of the interviews covered the same ground. Interview sessions that got into actual work were much more productive. The whole process is very long - ostensibly b/c they are "really getting to know you" but really just big gaps of no communication and a process clearly hindered by bureaucracy. However, many people who I met during the interview process transcended all that and confirmed Zappos was a place I wanted to work.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult questions were ones where the interviewer had a very specific answer in mind rather than seeking to understand the candidate's overall approach and thinking.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Zappos salaries are below market, and there isn't much getting around that. However, there is some flexibility in signing bonus and relo costs.

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in July 2011.

Interview

I applied online, heard back from a recruiter by phone. Asked standard questions about skills and experience. I further received the long-form application, which has personality questions ("what kind of superhero would you be and why?", " Choose two people - living or dead - to sit down to lunch. What would they talk about?") peppered among general experience, skill and salary questions. There was an additional personality test; multiple-choice. I then had a phone interview with team members. They asked about experience and overcoming obstacles. After 2 weeks, I was informed that I wasn't chosen. It's a cool company otherwise, though I could never pinpoint what they were looking for. You need to be a bit quirky (i.e. have a personality) to make it. I think a lot of hiring decisions are made based on cultural fit (sometimes it's something you can't control or prepare for).

Interview Questions

• "Describe a time that you had to overcome an obstacle"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in January 2011.

Interview

After some phone interviews, they fly me in for a whole day of interview with potential co-worker. You will do the tour of the building which is quite unique and do a CSR test since you will be require to start get that training. After the day is pretty much 1-1 interviews with a lot of different workers and they will decide if they like you or not. It`s more of a fit test